So i kept getting a error message saying my card was not in or file missing or not compatible.
    Well it said hit format.. Boom it's all gone.

Now my pics and songs just vanished. Also my card won't read on the computer either. Any ideads
    03-17-2013 07:44 AM
    Formatting does just that... deletes all if the data on the card. Sorry to say but you are Sol. The rile system got corrupted one way or another and that's what happened. Backups!!! Backups!! Backups!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    03-17-2013 07:52 AM
    So i kept getting a error message saying my card was not in or file missing or not compatible.
    Well it said hit format.. Boom it's all gone.

Now my pics and songs just vanished. Also my card won't read on the computer either. Any ideads
    I had a similar thing happen a few months ago. Something got corrupted with the file system. I use Dropbox camera upload to save all my pics. It syncs each time I am on wifi. I also use iSyncr to sync my music with iTunes. If you don't use iTunes there are many other apps that can help you sync with your computer. You will still have to reinstall the music, but at least it won't be gone.
    03-17-2013 09:40 AM
    I had a similar thing happen a few months ago. Something got corrupted with the file system. I use Dropbox camera upload to save all my pics. It syncs each time I am on wifi. I also use iSyncr to sync my music with iTunes. If you don't use iTunes there are many other apps that can help you sync with your computer. You will still have to reinstall the music, but at least it won't be gone.
    Good call.. My card must be corrupt it still doesn't wotk
    03-18-2013 08:58 AM
    Good call.. My card must be corrupt it still doesn't wotk
    go to the SD Card Association's website and download their formatting program. It is a very complete formatter and if that program can't resurrect your card, then you should destroy it so you don't accidentally use it again.
    03-18-2013 09:47 AM
    Same thing happened to me. I bet you had a scandisk card..
    03-18-2013 09:52 AM
    Would your card be, by any chance, a SanDisk one? And even more, a 32GB unit? If so, that's your problem. The latest Samsung S-Devices (Note 2/S3/Note Tablets) have an issue with these cards. They can just drain your battery by 'ejecting' and re-mounting the cards out of the blue but they can also take a serious turn by actually doing physical damage to the card itself.

Lesson Learned? NEVER press the 'Format' button unless you've tried to back up your files elsewhere!
    03-18-2013 10:14 AM
    Would your card be, by any chance, a SanDisk one? And even more, a 32GB unit? If so, that's your problem. The latest Samsung S-Devices (Note 2/S3/Note Tablets) have an issue with these cards. They can just drain your battery by 'ejecting' and re-mounting the cards out of the blue but they can also take a serious turn by actually doing physical damage to the card itself.

Lesson Learned? NEVER press the 'Format' button unless you've tried to back up your files elsewhere!
    Yup exactly the one i have.. San disc class 10 32gb
    03-18-2013 11:11 AM
    Yeah, it's happened a lot... Mine, thankfully, was not physically damaged but I just can't use it in my phone. I'd recommend a Samsung card (obviously) but also the MUCH cheaper AData ones (the innards are Samsung-supplied, so that's why they're so compatible). If you MUST have a SanDisk one, then you have to make sure the SD Card was manufactured after December 2012 (SanDisk claims their updated chips resolve the issue).
    rankar7 and codysanbor like this.
    03-18-2013 11:20 AM
    Yeah, it's happened a lot... Mine, thankfully, was not physically damaged but I just can't use it in my phone. I'd recommend a Samsung card (obviously) but also the MUCH cheaper AData ones (the innards are Samsung-supplied, so that's why they're so compatible). If you MUST have a SanDisk one, then you have to make sure the SD Card was manufactured after December 2012 (SanDisk claims their updated chips resolve the issue).
    Thanks. Amazon for giving me a old pos.. Lol
    03-18-2013 02:04 PM
    i may have been lucky...but same thing happened to me

restarted by phone...and about 15-20 minutes later everything was back there
    03-18-2013 02:22 PM
    Yeah, and it happens randomly... The thing is, you leave that ailing-card in there, and soon you might find that your files are really missing and the soul has been sucked out of the poor little SD card... Mine started acting up and then wouldn't read the files, but if I restarted the phone or tried the card in a computer, the files were still there... Would I chance losing them? Nope. Back up, get rid of card, get new one.
    03-18-2013 03:29 PM
    since im procrastinating at work and posted on everything...u could also try this to help ease your worries...

use google music to back up all your music...also create a private album on facebook and periodically upload your recent pics to it

besides carbon and rooting...anyone else know a good app to back up app data online? afraid im gonna lose all my bounceball progress!
    03-19-2013 08:47 AM
    SD cards aren't very reliable so you should definitely backup anything on one.
    03-19-2013 11:10 AM
    I of course ordered my Sandisk 64 gb class 10 card before seeing any of these threads about problems. Could someone please tell me how to find the date of manufacture so I can find out if I'm about to have a disaster?
    03-19-2013 11:16 AM
    Only way to tell is by looking at the card when you get it (or if you can get the store you bought it from to CONFIRM the date for you). It should be printed either on the card itself or on the packaging.

I've heard fewer reports on 64GB cards, but I have seen some... If possible, I'd try to exchange the card just in case (unless you can actually make sure it's been manufactured this year).
    03-19-2013 01:37 PM
    had the same problem with the Sandisk 32 gb :/...glad I never had anything important on them and thank goodness for cloud. While it happened my battery life drained like crazy. Anyone else experience it? Now my battery life is terrible. I barely can last a day...thinking about system reset
    03-19-2013 08:48 PM
    It's a shame that SanDisk is one of the few to offer a 64 GB card. While I've had nothing but positives with SanDisk, it's always nice to have options.

The good thing is, like mentioned, the problem is only with a bad batch of the 32 GB cards. Every company has a bad batch here and there and it's good to see the new batch is working properly.
    03-19-2013 09:22 PM
    I of course ordered my Sandisk 64 gb class 10 card before seeing any of these threads about problems. Could someone please tell me how to find the date of manufacture so I can find out if I'm about to have a disaster?
    I've been running a sandisk 64gb class 10 card that i bought at the end of January and so far so good.
    03-20-2013 06:22 AM
    I'd still be cautions rankar, mine took about three months to start failing... It's not something you see right away, unfortunately.
    03-20-2013 11:44 AM