03-28-2013 07:53 AM
69 123
tools
    I look forward to the day when you use a lag free device and come back. Then you'll surly notice the lag.

There is ZERO chance you can watch Chris' video on a computer in HD and not see the lag.

I can understand you saying you do not experience lag, but I cannot understand saying they've watched the video and it is perfectly smooth.
    03-24-2013 12:49 AM
    I look forward to the day when you use a lag free device and come back.
    I saw it. There is lag on all android devices currently on the market when a lot of processes are running. It is how android was designed vs. how iOS was designed.

iOS prioritizes user input, so all background processes stop when any user input is received. Android does not. The philosophy behind that was that the hardware would eventually catch up so google didn't design android to prioritize user input. Indeed the hardware is catching up, but it is not quite where it needs to be to eliminate lag entirely.

I prefer lag to a locked down device and pretty soon I won't have to tolerate lag because the hardware will catch up soon. iOS will always be locked down.
    nancybout and anon(226560) like this.
    03-24-2013 12:57 AM
    No one has said they didn't notice the lag in the video. They were responding to your question on their personal views.

The lag in chrome he displayed looked like a page still loading too me, must have been the AT&T version(I jest).

The lag from the notification bar could have been app related based on the feedback from others saying theirs is smooth.

Your statements do seem to show much dissatisfaction with the note 2. As a RAZR MAXX user my views are different than what had been mentioned so far because my experience has been different. Love me JB! I run 15hrs and have 50% battery left, actually 16H 48m 30s and 50% left.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    03-24-2013 01:02 AM
    ^ Well that is a perfectly reasonable and acceptable explanation. Thank you for your honesty, much appreciated! Nice to know I'm not the only person in the universe that is capable of seeing lag.

It seems Google perhaps did not anticipate that the demand would increase along with the power of device.

Hopefully they can resolve it. I plan on trying a ROM, I think getting rid of TouchWiz will solve many issues.
    03-24-2013 01:04 AM
    ^ Well that is a perfectly reasonable and acceptable explanation. Thank you for your honesty, much appreciated! It seems Google did not anticipate that the demand would increase along with the power of device.
    or maybe they did but realized there are those of us who prefer the ability to tinker with our devices over a locked down device and so long as iOS is locked down there will be a market for android no matter its faults.

A lot has been written about this design choice. Maybe it was a mistake in retrospect, but given the choices on the market, I choose android because I can easily unlock and root my device and I want and value that ability.
    03-24-2013 01:09 AM
    ^ Well that is a perfectly reasonable and acceptable explanation. Thank you for your honesty, much appreciated! Nice to know I'm not the only person in the universe that is capable of seeing lag.

It seems Google perhaps did not anticipate that the demand would increase along with the power of device.

Hopefully they can resolve it. I plan on trying a ROM, I think getting rid of TouchWiz will solve many issues.
    You're not worthy owner of the note 2. Sell it and be gone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    03-24-2013 01:19 AM
    So noticing a fault is grounds for flaming and pretending it doesn't exist is the new norm eh?

Yikes.
    03-24-2013 01:28 AM
    I've tested an AT&T & Verizon Note 2, plus mine. They all have a animation stutter when coming off the ripple lockscreen. They also stutter when pulling down a full notification shade.

They also take a couple seconds for the screen to turn on after a button press or removing from face.
    4.1.2 will fix all that. waiting a half a second didnt bother me much at all though.
    03-24-2013 02:07 AM
    Such sensitive people, probably Samsung fanboys. Do read OPs post and notice he asks opinion of people who have used BOTH devices not just Note 2 owners.

This question is hard to answer but both phones do have great battery life and mind you I had the RAZR HD, the Maxx performs even better.

Skin wise Motorola takes it hands down. Blur is barely noticeable too the point that I didn't feel it that necessary to install a launcher. Touchwiz is hideous IMO but includes lots of handy little features.

The big problem I found with the RAZR HD was the lack of ROMs. It's not a deal breaker now since Moto is updating the phone at a good pace but whenever official support stops the dev community can keep a device going. If you plan to keep either phone for a while do consider this.

You don't care for the S pen so there's no point in telling you how great it is (graphic designer here so you can imagine how useful it was to me).

However, fast and guaranteed updates are more important to me than anything else so I ultimately went with a nexus phone.

Sent from Galaxy Nexus
    03-24-2013 02:47 AM
    The thing that irks me the most from Android is that it automatically merges your contacts. I prefer to keep my contacts separate. When I had HTC, it wasn't that bad. If it found contacts that Android wanted to merge it would ask. I had the option to merge them or keep them separate. Samsung and Motorola does not give you any warning before doing so.
    When a contact is merged on my Note 2, I'm still able to find the person that was merged. If I search for Jane Doe, and only John Doe comes up, then I know they were merged. I can quickly hit the menu button and separate them.
    When I had my Maxx and searched for Jane Doe, the search would come back as zero matches. I had no way of searching for the person that got merged. I would have to go through all contacts that I thought it may have merged itself with, go into edit mode of that contact, then I would be able to see if it was merged or not. That was the thing I hated the most about my Maxx.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk
    03-24-2013 06:15 AM
    I recently came back to Android (Note 2) from an iPhone 4S. The Note 2 has been extremely smooth & responsive, which really surprised me. The only noticeable Lag or stutter I experience, is when I scroll in my web browser. That's not a deal breaker. There are some custom roms that seem to address this issue with positive results. To me that's a huge advantage. Lots of custom rom developers across all carriers. You don't see that too often.

Keep the Note 2.
    03-24-2013 07:57 AM
    In that video about the notification lag, he has power saving enabled...not sure if anyone else noticed... which would explain that lag.
    03-24-2013 08:29 AM
    The thing that irks me the most from Android is that it automatically merges your contacts. I prefer to keep my contacts separate.
    Where is it merging contacts from? Gmail and Google+?
    03-24-2013 09:21 AM
    So noticing a fault is grounds for flaming and pretending it doesn't exist is the new norm eh?

Yikes.
    LOL. you are calling LITERALLY fractions of milliseconds a flaw. If these FRACTIONS are causing you such despair and making you question the purchase then go buy the iphone. You're comparing it to the iphone, saying the iphone has none of the lag mentioned. So why are you trying to convince yourself to keep the note 2??
    nancybout likes this.
    03-24-2013 09:36 AM
    So you guys didn't see the notification lag on Chris' video at 3:11? Your joking, right? Watch it on a computer.

I realize I'm a harsh critic, but honestly the iPhone does not lag like that. I specifically bought (out if contract) the 'most powerful Android smartphone' to avoid this crap.

I'm frankly a bit amazed that people would watch that video and not see lag, it's clear as day.

And to be fair, it isn't as noticeable when watching the video on the phone, so again, watch it on a computer.
    I watched it on my retina display Macbook Pro (I LOVE IT) and I do see the dropping of frames on the notification pull down but not so much in scrolling left to right on the toggles menus. You are very precise in what you want, nothing wrong with that. I find all those toggles and info useful so a few dropping frames is not a big deal to me.
    The touch wiz pull down menu is getting a bit busy so I am sure that the software is not optimized perfectly. Does the Razr Maxx HD have as much info on the pull down notification shade?

I myself have lost a few milliseconds over the years!
    03-24-2013 09:39 AM
    Where is it merging contacts from? Gmail and Google+?
    It merges my Gmail contacts.
    If two contacts have things in common, such as address, home number, etc., Android will merge them. They aren't merged if I visit the contacts from a browser. Only in Android contact app.
    I use my phone for business use as well. I would have a husband and wife added as separate contacts. Then one day I would try to give the husband a call, and he now has 2 work numbers, 2 cell numbers, and 2 email addresses.
    I would separate them so I would know who I'm contacting. Very annoying.

03-24-2013 09:40 AM
    In a related note, my verizon note is on cleanRom (verizon edition), and I turned on power saving mode and saw these "hiccups" that are noted in that first video.

Power saving isn't useful (to me) at this point. Future updates may change that.

Edit: This guy's rom claims to kill the screen on delay. I haven't personally tried it but here it is: [ROM] MeanBean v0.8 | Mar 23 | TW | LL4 | Mods | Batt saver | Zero Wake Lag! - xda-developers
    03-24-2013 09:44 AM
    In that video about the notification lag, he has power saving enabled...not sure if anyone else noticed... which would explain that lag.
    What does power saving do? Slow down the GPU?
    03-24-2013 09:51 AM
    So why are you trying to convince yourself to keep the note 2??
    I think he was just looking for opinions and as part of that process was posting his opinion of the things that are important to him.

Lag bothers some people more than others. Just like having a locked down device bothers some people more than others.
    03-24-2013 09:53 AM
    Power saver does clock down the cpu.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    03-24-2013 09:56 AM
    Power saver does clock down the cpu.
    How do you turn power saver on? I can't find it in the settings of my GNex.
    03-24-2013 10:02 AM
    Just a touchwiz feature.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    03-24-2013 10:09 AM
    You can access it from the notification tray, or device settings.

Attached Thumbnails RAZR HD/MAXX HD vs Galaxy Note 2...I have both, I can't decide!-uploadfromtaptalk1364138785118.jpg   RAZR HD/MAXX HD vs Galaxy Note 2...I have both, I can't decide!-uploadfromtaptalk1364138799786.jpg  
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    03-24-2013 10:26 AM
    Such sensitive people, probably Samsung fanboys. Do read OPs post and notice he asks opinion of people who have used BOTH devices not just Note 2 owners.

Sent from Galaxy Nexus
    Umm first, this is a note 2 forum. Second, I understand where the OP is coming from, trust me In the past I've been in the same situation. But when you're constantly bashing and pointing out negatives of one phone compared to the other and not noticing or taking the input of other individuals, then it becomes annoying. If you have so many negative things to say about a phone. Go with the other, don't contradict yourself. It's not about being sensitive, or being a Samsung fan boy because none of us have bashed the Motorola RAZR. I owned one before and simply said it could have been better than what I expected but that was the first maxx not the Hd. The OP is continuously making his own choice by bashing the phone. So if you're not going to believe our inputs then why post in the first place?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    cdf3 and blitz118 like this.
    03-24-2013 07:51 PM
    Will a ROM fix the screen on delay?
    The slow screen on feature is of purpose. It lets you know the phone is actually in a real sleep mode, unlike other phones. That's why the battery lasts so long. And ADW launcher fixes the "unattractive" ui you talk of

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    03-24-2013 09:51 PM
69 123