03-28-2013 07:53 AM
69 123
tools
    Im most curious to hear from people who have used both the RAZR HD/HD MAXX & the Galaxy Note 2.

I have both a RAZR MAXX HD and a Galaxy Note 2. I am trying to decide which to keep. My priorities go like this:

Reception
    Battery
    Phone Features

Ive used the Note 2 for a few days and battery and reception seem to be above my threshold for acceptability (few phones are). But Ive noticed a few things.

1.) I hate TouchWiz, it is unbelievably ugly.
    2.) Screen sometimes takes a while to turn on
    3.) Lockscreen lags when swiping
    4.) The notification shade lags when pulling it down.
    5.) Animations are not always smooth.
    6.) Its bigbut I am managing.

I do like the RGB AMOLED screen on the Note 2. It is nice, but in daily use, for text and such, even though its PenTile, the RAZR HD MAXX almost looks better on sites with a lot of text.

I also did a few non-scientific speed tests, opening identical apps and such, except for loading webpages and scrolling smoothness (where the Note 2 won) I saw no difference is app opening speed. They were pretty much identical.

I thought Id be much more satisfied with the Note 2, that itd really wow mebut there seems to be many little things that really take away from the overall experience., the jittery animations really annoy mea lot The MAXX HD honestly feels much more polished than the Note 2, even when using Nova Launcher on both.

Im curious to hear from those who have or have had both, which you ended up with and why you think its better.

TIA!
    03-22-2013 12:29 PM
    If it was me, I would buy the Note 2. I have never liked Motorola products. I feel their build quality is overrated. The S Pen has a lot of functional use. The removable battery is a must for me as well. I do not care for the small screen on the Razr Maxx either.
    03-22-2013 01:46 PM
    If it was me, I would buy the Note 2. I have never liked Motorola products. I feel their build quality is overrated. The S Pen has a lot of functional use. The removable battery is a must for me as well. I do not care for the small screen on the Razr Maxx either.
    I hear you, but I think the build quality is comparable. I've never seen a practical use (for me) for the S Pen and I have never in my life taken advantage of a removable battery.

Another thing that is really talking its annoyance toll...that screen on time. When I finish a call and pull the phone away from my head, it takes forever for the phone screen to turn on...The other caller almost always hangs up before I can hit the end call button....very frustrating!
    03-22-2013 02:34 PM
    I haven't had the razr, but all the things you mentioned can be handled with other roms, mods, etc. I have had any of the lag issues you stated. It's nice to have the spen when you need it too.

To me there isn't even remotely close comparison. The functionality of the note 2 is just so much more in my opinion. I am curious about the razr screen though. Only seen one for a little bit not compared the two close.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    rkeenan and The Hustleman like this.
    03-22-2013 03:11 PM
    All I know is I went to YouTube awhile back and watched the comparison against the hd maxx and the note 2 and the note 2 beat it in just about everything.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!
    03-22-2013 03:40 PM
    Will a ROM fix the screen on delay?
    03-23-2013 12:05 PM
    Been a while since I owned a Moto. I think they had good build quality but their skin was no where near touchwiz in polish or usefulness. I also have a Nexus and I even say it is more refined than vanilla android. Not sure where your lag is coming from. Not seeing it on the Note 2 that I have, might be a verizon thing. I also use the s pen every day except the weekends when I switch to my Nexus 4, so I think I will always have a Note device.
    03-23-2013 01:47 PM
    Been a while since I owned a Moto. I think they had good build quality but their skin was no where near touchwiz in polish or usefulness. I also have a Nexus and I even say it is more refined than vanilla android. Not sure where your lag is coming from. Not seeing it on the Note 2 that I have, might be a verizon thing. I also use the s pen every day except the weekends when I switch to my Nexus 4, so I think I will always have a Note device.
    I've tested an AT&T & Verizon Note 2, plus mine. They all have a animation stutter when coming off the ripple lockscreen. They also stutter when pulling down a full notification shade.

They also take a couple seconds for the screen to turn on after a button press or removing from face.
    03-23-2013 02:08 PM
    I've tested an AT&T & Verizon Note 2, plus mine. They all have a animation stutter when coming off the ripple lockscreen. They also stutter when pulling down a full notification shade.

They also take a couple seconds for the screen to turn on after a button press or removing from face.
    I do not use the ripple lockscreen. I have no stutter pulling down the notification shade the screen to turn on is not lag in my opinion but if the Maxx does not have these things, go with that. I have not heard that the Maxx was in the same league as the Note 2 but go for it. I have not used the Maxx so not qualified from that standpoint.
    Eclipse2K likes this.
    03-23-2013 05:18 PM
    I have the N2 now, but I did try a RMHD when it first came out. I really liked the build quality and battery life. I also liked the Android skin and didn't feel that I needed to install Nova. My concern was the screen size. It was smaller than the Gs3 and wanted bigger not smaller. My fascination was the battery life, which is why I tried it.

I love my N2 and I have no issues with it. I switch back and forth from Nova to TW. The battery life is excellent on the N2 and the screen size is amazing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    03-23-2013 05:45 PM
    Yes. My cousin has the Motorola. I don't have any lag. I'm not understanding lol.
    I just got this thing and is snappy. Left iphone4s and handed this...I don't want the iphone right now even though it's reliable always. ..
    Loving my note 2.. and the motorolas screen is too small. I need 4.7 at least.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    03-23-2013 05:49 PM
    I've never seen my note 2 lag and I'm pretty much stock everything. I get about 5-6 hours of screen on time. The size is perfect and have yet to encounter those issues you are mentioning. However, I don't own a DROID RAZR maxx hd. I owned the first DROID RAZR maxx I wasn't so thrilled with it as I hated moto UI. The designed seemed odd and the battery life wasn't great. I'm sure they made improvements, but I can be certain that I prefer the note 2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    03-23-2013 07:22 PM
    I've never seen my note 2 lag and I'm pretty much stock everything. I get about 5-6 hours of screen on time. The size is perfect and have yet to encounter those issues you are mentioning. However, I don't own a DROID RAZR maxx hd. I owned the first DROID RAZR maxx I wasn't so thrilled with it as I hated moto UI. The designed seemed odd and the battery life wasn't great. I'm sure they made improvements, but I can be certain that I prefer the note 2

Your saying that your unlock and notification bar animations are smooth as butter 100% of the time? Even videos on YouTube show lag pulling down the notification bar with many notifications.
    03-23-2013 08:28 PM
    I had the non HD version of the Maxx. I don't miss it at all. The thing that bugged me was that Motorola would not give Devs full access to their lockscreen widget. I like using widgets, such as Screen Off and Lock, to put my phone into standby mode instead of using the power button. All Android devices work well with this app except Motorola devices. When used on Motorola devices it takes 10-15 seconds before the phone officially goes into standby. I tried similar apps, and they all yielded the same results. The Devs said there was nothing they could do about it.
    I don't use the S Pen as much as I thought I would, but it does come in handy at times. I was recently doing a home improvement project. I was able to sketch out measurements and diagrams, and save them on my phone. I didn't have to worry about carrying around sticky notes & paper.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk
    Jude526 likes this.
    03-23-2013 08:29 PM
    Your saying that your unlock and notification bar animations are smooth as butter 100% of the time? Even videos on YouTube show lag pulling down the notification bar with many notifications.
    Nope never experienced this "lag" maybe you have a defective note 2 lol

TheOtherBill and nancybout like this.
    03-23-2013 09:28 PM
    Nope never experienced this "lag" maybe you have a defective note 2 lol
    I know for certain every Note 2 has the notification shade lag (with many notifications).

You may not notice it, but it's there.
    03-23-2013 09:38 PM
    If there's lag then I certainly don't notice. Not to be a jerk but if you're being that critical I'm not sure if anyone on a forum would be able to provide you with an answer.

The only hit of lag I've ever seen is occasionally with turning it on to the lock screen and even that is milliseconds maybe.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    03-23-2013 10:08 PM
    Notification tray lag example: (3:11)

Turn on delay example: (4:17)
    03-23-2013 11:02 PM
    Notification tray lag example: (3:11)

Turn on delay example: (4:17)
    Chris may be the best dropped frame discoverer in the world. I love his videos. Not sure what he is seeing, but It is smooth to me. To be sure the Note 2 has a lot going on in the pull down menus but I am still 100% happy with my note and if there is LAG, I do not notice it and am not concerned in the least.

As much as you're down on the note 2 it seems like you should just dump it and keep the the Maxx.
    03-23-2013 11:22 PM
    Chris may be the best dropped frame discoverer in the world. I love his videos. Not sure what he is seeing, but It is smooth to me. To be sure the Note 2 has a lot going on in the pull down menus but I am still 100% happy with my note and if there is LAG, i do not notice it and am not concerned in the least.

As much as your down on the note 2 it seems like you should just dump it and keep the the Maxx.
    Couldn't agree more, if you hate the note 2 so much just sell it. Or send it my way I'll put it to good use. Use your maxx Hd.

03-23-2013 11:33 PM
    So you guys didn't see the notification lag on Chris' video at 3:11? Your joking, right? Watch it on a computer.

I realize I'm a harsh critic, but honestly the iPhone does not lag like that. I specifically bought (out if contract) the 'most powerful Android smartphone' to avoid this crap.

I'm frankly a bit amazed that people would watch that video and not see lag, it's clear as day.

And to be fair, it isn't as noticeable when watching the video on the phone, so again, watch it on a computer.
    03-24-2013 12:04 AM
    So you guys didn't see the notification lag on Chris' video at 3:11? Your joking, right? Watch it on a computer.

I realize I'm a harsh critic, but honestly the iPhone does not lag like that. I specifically bought (out if contract) the 'most powerful Android smartphone' to avoid this crap.

I'm frankly a bit amazed that people would watch that video and not see lag, it's clear as day.
    Then go get a iphone, and stop trying to convince us to agree with you. Please keep your razr, and go back to their forum. Bye.
    rkeenan and Jude526 like this.
    03-24-2013 12:14 AM
    I have no problems with the touch wizard. My phone doesn't lag. No issues for me. I like the build and think its a quality device.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    03-24-2013 12:26 AM
    Touch wiz +++

03-24-2013 12:26 AM
    Then go get a iphone, and stop trying to convince us to agree with you. Please keep your razr, and go back to their forum. Bye.
    Amen!

03-24-2013 12:41 AM
69 123