LTE vs. WiFi

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Well my wifi in my house speed is 50/45 so for me wifi is double my lte speed. Fios wifi is amazing.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Depends on your wifi and 4GLTE. I have 15/2 cable at home. With regard to battery, it also depends too. if you have a very strong 4GLTE signal and a very weak wifi signal, then the 4GLTE could use less battery than wifi. But in general, a strong wifi signal should use less battery.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note IIuploadfromtaptalk1363540575294.jpg

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Now that I got a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, wifi is faster than my 4G at my home (outside my home, 4G service is often faster).

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the speed of the Internet connection the Wi-Fi system is using. My only home Internet option is DSL which on a good day is at max. 6MB down, 512KB up, whereas LTE averages 20MB down, 10MB up, often faster. So you can guess which one I keep my phone on all the time. :)

As to battery life, LTE uses a bit more due to the extra power required to communicate to cell towers versus a local Wi-Fi signal. But from my experience, the battery hit is minimal if the LTE signal is strong as it reduces how hard the phone needs to work to connect and use the signal. There is also the factor that I tend to get things done quicker due to the speed of LTE which allows the phone to go back to standby more frequently thus saving battery. Of course that is unless I'm using it continuously, but in that case I'll take the battery hit to have the faster LTE speeds. :)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have 75/25 internet with FiOS. My desktop hits 81 to 85 down but wifi goes to about 50 down on my phones. I used to always get faster than 50 down on LTE but I guess it is getting crowded and now I get less. Still both are fast but I use wifi when at home.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the speed of the Internet connection the Wi-Fi system is using. My only home Internet option is DSL which on a good day is at max. 6MB down, 512KB up, whereas LTE averages 20MB down, 10MB up, often faster. So you can guess which one I keep my phone on all the time. :)

As to battery life, LTE uses a bit more due to the extra power required to communicate to cell towers versus a local Wi-Fi signal. But from my experience, the battery hit is minimal if the LTE signal is strong as it reduces how hard the phone needs to work to connect and use the signal. There is also the factor that I tend to get things done quicker due to the speed of LTE which allows the phone to go back to standby more frequently thus saving battery. Of course that is unless I'm using it continuously, but in that case I'll take the battery hit to have the faster LTE speeds. :)

Thats better than what I have. Crappy att dsl is my only option. 3meg down 512 kb up. They are over sold in the area and cant upgrade me any higger than that. This is in a town of about 75000.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon dsl in my area is ridiculously expensive. They were charging me $38 for 1mbps down. I switched to cable, 10/1 is $30, 15/2 is $40. No brainer for me

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thats better than what I have. Crappy att dsl is my only option. 3meg down 512 kb up. They are over sold in the area and cant upgrade me any higger than that. This is in a town of about 75000.

Ouch. AT&T DSL here too. It used to be problematic until they repaired a wiring issue in their equipment nearby that feeds our house. At least the service has been stable and speeds consistent since.

Verizon dsl in my area is ridiculously expensive. They were charging me $38 for 1mbps down. I switched to cable, 10/1 is $30, 15/2 is $40. No brainer for me

Wish I could switch to Charter (cable) and get their 30MB service. But they refuse to extend their services into a new addition (added back in 2005) to an older existing subdivision. Their wiring and equipment is a half a block away from my house! I can see it from my kitchen window. :( The only other option is satellite, but the latency is too high. Ah, wouldn't matter anyway, I'd still use LTE; the speeds are really good at the house and I still have unlimited data. :)

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My comcast cable is usually $65/mo but yesterday they gave me Blast! for $50/mo for six months. They CLAIM that I won't pay any more than the $65 after the promo period, but we shall see! If they do try charging me more for it, I'll simply revert to the other speed, as in practice I see no tangible benefit if it's going to cost me extra.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ouch. AT&T DSL here too. It used to be problematic until they repaired a wiring issue in their equipment nearby that feeds our house. At least the service has been stable and speeds consistent since.

Wish I could switch to Charter (cable) and get their 30MB service. But they refuse to extend their services into a new addition (added back in 2005) to an older existing subdivision. Their wiring and equipment is a half a block away from my house! I can see it from my kitchen window. :( The only other option is satellite, but the latency is too high. Ah, wouldn't matter anyway, I'd still use LTE; the speeds are really good at the house and I still have unlimited data. :)

I am surprised that the developer didn't run the lines.

Talk to them saying that you would be willing to pay the cost of extending the line. I am sure it would cost thousands, but split between a bunch of houses, the cost wouldn't be too bad. Though, may be hard to convince the neighbors especially since you already have dsl add an option. Most people don't really need the speed

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I am surprised that the developer didn't run the lines.

Talk to them saying that you would be willing to pay the cost of extending the line. I am sure it would cost thousands, but split between a bunch of houses, the cost wouldn't be too bad. Though, may be hard to convince the neighbors especially since you already have dsl add an option. Most people don't really need the speed

Man i use to sell cable and many people hate the cable companies with a passion. They rather get direct TV and bundle that with Verizon dsl. They hate the dsl speeds but they hate the cable company even more. They complain about the speed but I tell them that the farther you are from the dsl office the weaker the singnal will be. AND IN PEAK HOURS THEY CAN HARDLY DOWN LOAD A BOOK. They rather wait for fios and I don't blame them.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
att u verse I thought I had 12 down... but I can't remember...

sent from my galaxy note 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364135379121.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364135379121.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 41

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Man i use to sell cable and many people hate the cable companies with a passion. They rather get direct TV and bundle that with Verizon dsl. They hate the dsl speeds but they hate the cable company even more. They complain about the speed but I tell them that the farther you are from the dsl office the weaker the singnal will be. AND IN PEAK HOURS THEY CAN HARDLY DOWN LOAD A BOOK. They rather wait for fios and I don't blame them.

I have had less issues with TWC cs than with Verizon DSL cs. of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and everyone's situation is different.. Speed wise, the DSL cost would be much more than cable, for lesser speed, so for me, it was a no brainer.

I am not a huge fan of Verizon wireless, but the way I see it, other carrier's cs isnt' really better, and, i want the best total network coverage, so my choice is limited. Plus, I am paying less than $45 a month for my share of the family plan with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE. AT&T doesn't offer unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE, which is the only maybe choice for me.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Comcast basic internet speed throttles to 2MB down speeds so LTE is faster for me(3-4MB full signal)

sent from Galaxy Note 2

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I get basically no signal in my room so using LTE at home isn't an option for me. I'd probably prefer using LTE as it is similar in speed to my connection, but alas that isn't an option.

So for me, it's WiFi.

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know that Verizon LTE unlimited came in throttled versus unthrottled versions. Is that true? I was told I had unlimited and thought there was only one version of it.

Ridin' a Note 2 blast

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know that Verizon LTE unlimited came in throttled versus unthrottled versions. Is that true? I was told I had unlimited and thought there was only one version of it.

No, not true. Verizon does NOT throttle LTE. See below for specifics:

Network Optimization

Only a small percent of customers will be affected. To be affected, you must be:

?A data customer on an unlimited data plan;
?Have a 3G Verizon Wireless device (if you have a 4G LTE device you will not be impacted); and
?Among the top 5% of data users in a given month.
Then, you will only be affected:

?When you are on the 3G network; and
?When you are connected to a congested cell site.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR