Hi. Brand new from ios Since 08. Need a little help

kwyn

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Just got my note2 yesterday. Been on ios since 2008. I keep trying to do ios things :) but I'm learning Android pretty quickly.

Android has a learning curve, but im getting it and it's a pleasure. Lot's more options than I've been used to.

Anyway, I had tons of questions, but googled, searched and narrowed them down to these.

1. How do I get my note 2 to play through my car stereo (USB) like my iphone did (honda civic 2012 no bluetooth).? Specifically I want to use MOG and Pandora not so much mp3 files. When I plug it in, the car stereo doesn't even see it. I'd rather not use AUX if at all possible.

2. I had apple care + in the past, so I never used a case. However, I want to know if there are good recommended cases you guys have in mind. I find my note 2 big and a little slick and I'm paranoid that I'll drop it.

3. Pretty much on that same note, I have the ATT version and I'm wondering the best insurance options. Something that covers accidents that are my fault. I bought the phone from ATT over the phone.

4. Right off the bat, what services/bloatware to get rid of?

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I always Jailbroke for one reason or another. What benefits would I get by rooting?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Just got my note2 yesterday. Been on ios since 2008. I keep trying to do ios things :) but I'm learning Android pretty quickly.

Android has a learning curve, but im getting it and it's a pleasure. Lot's more options than I've been used to.

Anyway, I had tons of questions, but googled, searched and narrowed them down to these.

1. How do I get my note 2 to play through my car stereo (USB) like my iphone did (honda civic 2012 no bluetooth).? Specifically I want to use MOG and Pandora not so much mp3 files. When I plug it in, the car stereo doesn't even see it. I'd rather not use AUX if at all possible.

2. I had apple care + in the past, so I never used a case. However, I want to know if there are good recommended cases you guys have in mind. I find my note 2 big and a little slick and I'm paranoid that I'll drop it.

3. Pretty much on that same note, I have the ATT version and I'm wondering the best insurance options. Something that covers accidents that are my fault. I bought the phone from ATT over the phone.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I always Jailbroke for one reason or another. What benefits would I get by rooting?

1. You may not beable to with usb. Unfortunately not every car is compatible with android. My 1 year old pioneer dvdnav system for my car is not compatible with android. Bluetooth may be the only option or aux.

2. The phone is very slick. Amazon is your best friend for cases. I myself use a seidio surface. Very little bulk to it and has been dropped a couple of time with no damage. Also comes with a metal magnetic kickstand. Works great with zero spen interference.

3. I dont have insurance and have never broken any phone ive ever owned...knock on wood. So I cant help you here.

4. Basically any app that says att you can force stop and disable. Though I would keep the myatt app if you want to easily pay your bill. All others must go. Thats my opinion on the matter.

5. Rooting is similiar to jailbreaking but unlike jailbreaking you wont get an all in one place like cydia to get your apps. I use to jailbreak for apps like emulators and customization apps. Android supports these out of the box. Launchers can give you all the custonization you want. Check out coldfustions 3dui tutorial on youtube to get an idea of the things you can do with out root. For me I root to completely change the os. I use att cleanrom se 1.5. For a list of roms go to xda forums. Thats where the new roms are typically released.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

kwyn

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Great response. Thanks so much.
Just wish there was a solution for the car. Oh well. Aux it is I guess.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
If its a usb port for a factory radio there may be the possibility(small) of a factory software update from the dealer. If not then you may need to cjeck with aftermarket maker to see if an update is available.

kwyn

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks jdub.

One more question. Is there a visual voicemail besides the ATT messages app. That one doesn't want to play nice with Chomp Sms

For some reason when I have it enabled so I can hse visual voice mail if turns off chomps notifictations . Well, they're still set to be on but they stop working even if I turn off att message notifications

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

Here is a solution for your car issue. It will cost a bit. Buy a Tunelink. It is blue tooth to aux. In other words you will BT stream to the Tunelink, which will plug into your aux port. Your controls will be on the phone, not steering wheel, but it works really well and sounds great.

You can probably get insurance from Square Trade iif you don't want to pay $10 monthly and still have a $199 deductible.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

kwyn

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Here is a solution for your car issue. It will cost a bit. Buy a Tunelink. It is blue tooth to aux. In other words you will BT stream to the Tunelink, which will plug into your aux port. Your controls will be on the phone, not steering wheel, but it works really well and sounds great.

You can probably get insurance from Square Trade iif you don't want to pay $10 monthly and still have a $199 deductible.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Is there an advantage using tunelink over just plugging into the aux port.?

daredem

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
If you have auxiliary on your stereo, you can just plug 3.5mm stereo wire into the phone and auxiliary... You will have great sound... Also, you can answer calls... I have no problems...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Also, check with some electronics places like best buy to see if they have a car audio solution for your vehicle.

Sometimes it is just a module that attaches to the wiring of the radio or plugs into the wiring harness that will give you a bluetooth radio for pairing.

As mentioned earlier, most manufacturers of cars only get the ipod/iphone compatability certification. Unless the head unit will accept android devices, the only way to use USB with the phone directly is to put the phone in USB mode and read music directly from the main memory or SD card as mp3's (or other compatible format).

It's not wrong to fondle the s pen.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks jdub.

One more question. Is there a visual voicemail besides the ATT messages app. That one doesn't want to play nice with Chomp Sms

For some reason when I have it enabled so I can hse visual voice mail if turns off chomps notifictations . Well, they're still set to be on but they stop working even if I turn off att message notifications

I use the att visual voicemail app. Its in the playstore. When setting it up, it will auto call your voicemail and then you hang up and setup a password. Pretty simple.

kwyn

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Also, check with some electronics places like best buy to see if they have a car audio solution for your vehicle.

Sometimes it is just a module that attaches to the wiring of the radio or plugs into the wiring harness that will give you a bluetooth radio for pairing.

As mentioned earlier, most manufacturers of cars only get the ipod/iphone compatability certification. Unless the head unit will accept android devices, the only way to use USB with the phone directly is to put the phone in USB mode and read music directly from the main memory or SD card as mp3's (or other compatible format).

It's not wrong to fondle the s pen.

How do you put the note 2 in usb mode?

kwyn

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I use the att visual voicemail app. Its in the playstore. When setting it up, it will auto call your voicemail and then you hang up and setup a password. Pretty simple.

This worked nice. My Chomp notifications are back to working again

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
How do you put the note 2 in usb mode?

I dont believe you can. You might be able to do it rooted though. Why do you need it. Ive had the phone since the beginning of november and have had to hook to quite a few different devices, usb mode never mattered.

kwyn

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I dont believe you can. You might be able to do it rooted though. Why do you need it. Ive had the phone since the beginning of november and have had to hook to quite a few different devices, usb mode never mattered.

My Honda civic doesn't detect like it did with my old phone and I want to use pandora in my car via the usb cable

kwyn

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
OK. Here's one more...

I'm used to making backups in iTunes, what's the equivalent for my Note 2?

Thanks again!!!

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Kies air, airdroid, titanium backup(rooted) any number of backup solution in appstore and a crapload of cloud backup solutions... sd card. That last one is the one I use. Just get a 64gb sd card and use titanium backup to backup the phone.

kwyn

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Any particular reason you don't like using the Aux Jack?

Extra wire. I guess though using the AUX Jack is more affordable than anything else. How is the sound compared to USB?

Also, how do AUX Jacks work for speaker phone? I have a clip that keeps the phone not to far from my face while driving (heat vent), but I'm concerned with echo so part of me is considering a belkin aircast, but if the aux wire works fine, I guess I'd rather save the $$.

TheEnema

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

1. Yeah, you're gonna be stuck with auxiliary, sorry! But I STRONGLY recommend getting Poweramp instead of the standard Google Music app. Just try them both and see how much better Poweramp is. It's especially nice for playing music as soon as you connect the aux cable.

2. I find the official Samsung Protective Case to be perfect. I've dropped my phone about 8-10 times in this case, and everything runs perfect still. When I drop it now I don't even bother to check it works, I feel like it can't get damaged. Adds a little bit of size though.

3. Can't help as it depends on your country. There will definitely be a plan that works for you, it just depends how much money you wanna spend :p

4. Don't worry too much about bloatware unless it's actually getting in your way. But it's got so much power, nothing like that will slow it down. But, I really recommend getting Nova launcher, and making it look exactly the way you want it to. And it lets you download different icons too. You won't miss out on much of the Touchwiz features in doing so.

Here's my Note 2 with Nova launcher prime ($4.00), and "Flat Icons for Nova" icon pack ($1.00):
K4Z6MRR.jpg

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
For your car, you might do like I did. I did miss the USB connection and the ability to control the music through the receiver rather than constantly fiddling with the device (especially as my device is connected to work and auto-locks every 5 minutes). So I found a refurb iPod classic that I now keep in my truck. At least that way, I'm still able to use/update all of the smart playlist set up in iTunes without having to use additional apps and retains the capability of controlling via the stereo and displaying artwork. Just a thought.