Save me from an iPad MINI !!!

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Actually, this issue is for my friend, who is a Galaxy S3 owner and also has a full size ipad.

He's an in-the-field journalist and frequently out all day.

He needs to be more productive. The ipad is too big to carry around all day. Being able to pound out emails (gmail) would be the biggest typing need.

He is thinking of getting an ipad mini with a logitech magnetic latch-on keyboard to protect the front cover.

Two questions:

1) If he sold his S3 and upgraded to a Note 2, and got some kind of bluetooth keyboard for the Note 2, would the functionality be substantially equivalent to an ipad mini?

2) What if he kept the S3 and just got a bluetooth keyboard for that? I don't have any experience with keyboards for android phones so I didn't feel comfortable advising him.

3) (ok, there's a 3rd question:) Is there a big enough difference between an S3 and a Note 2 to go through the hassle of upgrading. He's got 1.25 years left on his S3 contract.

Thanks,
Mike

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Would he be open to considering a Nexus 7? I use mine all the time for tasks like research, note-taking, discussions, etc. With the right on-screen keyboard (Thumb Keyboard, Swype, SwiftKey, take your pick) it can be a very fast way to record info. Fits in my jacket pockets easily too. If he's looking for something slightly smaller, I'd say that it's hard to beat the Note 2 with its stylus. I don't think he'd need an external physical keyboard, but that's obviously his choice.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Patrick. I will ask when I see him later tonight.

Originally, I dismissed the Nexus 7 because AT&T was offering $100 on selected tablets (and the only good one at the time was an ipad mini).

I just checked and now they will give ANY tablet owner the $100 on a new 2 year agreement, so maybe I should take a step back and consider what android tabs are available.

Oh yes, now I remember why I also suggested the ipad mini: He wants LTE built in (and doesn't want to use his S3 as a mifi)

And, I really liked the magnetic snap on keyboard for the ipad mini (not sure if LTE & magnet keyboards are available for the androids - I'll have to check)

Thx
Mike

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay