Note 2 won't charge

Anim@l

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 46 days ago,
Unfortunately, when I charged it yesterday, the "lightning" on the battery symbol did not pop up.
So I left it like that for about an hour.
When I checked, it did not charge.
I transferred to another wall outlet, hoping it was the outlet at fault, but still it will not charge.
I used another Samsung charger, since my family have quite a bit of Samsung phones, still it wont charge.
Any opinions out there that could shed light on my problem?
TIA

Last edited by a moderator:

Crooke356

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 2 wont charge

Are you rooted? I'm assuming your not. If you aren't it sounds like a faulty device and I would look into your warranty or if you bought it at a brick & mortar store take in to them. If it's your USB port, not a whole lot you yourself can do.

If your rooted, it could be a much simpler fix. Because it might be a ROM issue.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

Try rebooting the device. Mine does that at times when I use an OTG cable.
I would try to charge it, and it will not charge. Rebooting the device works for me. Hope it works out in your situation.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

Anim@l

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

Was considering rooting my device.
But have not done it yet.
I have brought it to a Samsung Service Center and they said its the charging port module.
Parts would arrive around 7 working days.
But I am quite skeptical about it.

I have tried rebooting it, even did a factory reset.
Still no luck.
My guess is on the ROM issue rather than the hardware.

Anim@l

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

Is there any stock ROMs which I can flash without voiding my warranty?
Just in case if this is really a hardware issue.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

If they have told you what the problem is I would not mess with it. If they are willing to cover it a no cost then just leave it alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

ihateskies

May 30, 2011
Visit site

This happened to my Note2 last month. As i bought it from wirefly and did not have insurance on it, I had to send it back to Samsung for warranty repair. I was forced to revert back to my EVO 4G for the 14 days, which was longer than expected due to back-ordered part.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Not to be a pessimist, but it's not uncommon for the USB port to fail in Samsung devices. Mine and a friend's failed on our S2's, a friend's S3 just died last week (same problem, won't charge) and my niece's Note 2 started acting up by 'charging' the device when it's actually unplugged and S-Voice will pop up randomly as if pressing the Home Button (same thing that happened to my old S2). In all cases an USB port replacement was all it took to fix it.

Anim@l

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

If they have told you what the problem is I would not mess with it. If they are willing to cover it a no cost then just leave it alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. That was the decision I came up with after looking for answers in the forum.
I will have to wait until the replacement part arrives.

Anim@l

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

Not to be a pessimist, but it's not uncommon for the USB port to fail in Samsung devices. Mine and a friend's failed on our S2's, a friend's S3 just died last week (same problem, won't charge) and my niece's Note 2 started acting up by 'charging' the device when it's actually unplugged and S-Voice will pop up randomly as if pressing the Home Button (same thing that happened to my old S2). In all cases an USB port replacement was all it took to fix it.

Thanks for the info. Maybe with these occurrences Samsung will do a better job on these USB port.

Kyle Hongsathirath

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Hey this is a REAL ANSWER TO YOUR SITUATION THAT WILL WORK. I'm guessing your device is rooted ? Because my Galaxy s2 epic 4g had the same problem, It wouldn't hold its charge. At first i thought it was the battery. First do the "spin test" Laying out your battery and try spinning it, If it spins than you will need a new battery if not than your battery is fine. So DO NOT buy a battery, It won't solve the issue unless your battery is bad. To fix your phone you will need around $5-$25. Now go onto ebay and order a brand new EXTERNAL DOCK CHARGER.Make sure it is to charge the battery itself and not the whole phone and be sure to type in the type of phone you have so you get the right one. Now you'll have to take out the battery and charge it but it will work, I guarantee it will. I ordered mine last week and got my dock charger today , Charged it and it worked completely fine. Works and now I have my phone running without taking it to the store to get it fixed or buy a new one. PLEASE give this a thumbs up, so others will see this so it will help them also.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

If your battery is swollen in the center it needs to be replaced. It should be flat. Much easier than spinning it....have seen that but really isn't true.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

You can buy both a Samsung battery and charger for about $25 using one of the half off coupons you can find by searching here or at xda.

Ridin' a Note 2 blast

Anim@l

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

I got my Note2 back in good working condition.
The service center just changed the USB port module and now my phone charges as it should.
Since it is still in warranty, no cost was charged to me.

Anim@l

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

You can buy both a Samsung battery and charger for about $25 using one of the half off coupons you can find by searching here or at xda.

Ridin' a Note 2 blast

This has crossed my mind also.
I am just waiting for my friend who is selling his Note2 accessories and all.
He said he will include his charging dock and extra battery charger.

graydwarf

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site

Having similar problems with my Note 2. In the last couple of days, my phone stopped charging. I thought it was a rogue app draining the battery but there's no way to tell since all the power consumption info is in percentages. I powered it off and tried charging and that worked. A day later and it's not charging again so I've powered it off to see if it will charge. My original Note 2 never had this problem after many months but I ended up dropping it and cracking the screen because opening car doors with a Note 2 in the same hand is just a bad idea. Anyway, I had insurance so I was able to swap it in for a refurbished phone (like new) which was great until this started happening. Since its a commonly known issue, I'll just file a claim and not mess with it although restoring all my accounts is a hassle.

[edit] - Actually, before I submit the claim, I'm going to test my old battery. The company who handled the claim sent out a new battery so I'm going to swap out the batteries and see if anything changes. Found it will looking for the business card with the website address.

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

This seems to be an upcoming problem with these phones. I posted a thread the other day about my problem and then started finding all these new ones: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/268354-charging-problems-acting-flaky-need-help.html. I took mine apart and actually found cable unplugged from the circuit board. You can see it on the bottom of the photo about in the middle. I found a site online that sells the USB charging board for about $12 for my L900 version. Some of the other models sold for about $10. I'm going to buy and replace the board and see if that solves the problem.

I plugged it back in and reassembled everything and the battery went from a reading of 24% to 75% and it continued to charge up to 100%. It does still seem to go in and out of the charge cycle though.

Attachments

• Note 2 Internal.jpg
    Note 2 Internal.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Something strange happened last night. The phone seemed to go into Dock mode wjen it was laying on my night stand. It was unplugged and had been for a few hours. I tuened it off, not shut down or restarted, a couple of times and it seemed to stop doing it

When it was in this mode the screen was black with the time/date and accu weather displayed.

Im ordeeing the usb charging board today hoping this will solve the problem. The intermittent charging is still an issue.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

OK. Ordered the part. Coming from overseas so it'll be a week or so before it gets to Florida. I'll update as soon I get the part replaced and see if it fixes the issue.

ihateskies

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Something strange happened last night. The phone seemed to go into Dock mode wjen it was laying on my night stand. It was unplugged and had been for a few hours. I tuened it off, not shut down or restarted, a couple of times and it seemed to stop doing it

When it was in this mode the screen was black with the time/date and accu weather displayed.

Im ordeeing the usb charging board today hoping this will solve the problem. The intermittent charging is still an issue.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

This 'dock mode' issue happened to me as well.... within the next 2-3 days my phone wouldn't charge unless i restarted it (which woudl enter into safe mode) and then it just stopped altogether.... had to send it back to Samsung as warranty work.... back-ordered part and got phone back 14 days later

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995