Samsung Galaxy Note 2 won't charge?

Reece Curtis

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys sorry if in the wrong place. But my SGN2 has suddenly stopped charging. I only got the phone just over a month ago. I think it's the USB port as a couple of days after getting the phone I noticed sometimes it would stop charging like a loose connection but never really got round to getting it looked at as been really busy. I got the phone on contract from Phones 4 U and was wondering what I should do. Do I take it into the Phones 4 U store? am I still covered on a guarantee or w.e?

Thanks Guys

Reece

Last edited by a moderator:

Reece Curtis

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Wont charge?

Just to add when the charger is connected it shows that it's charging but it actually isn't. The battery has been going down whilst on charge and has now turned off and is once again showing its charging but wont turn on after at least 15-20 mins.

Maverick Martin

May 7, 2013
Visit site

My Note occasionally will not start after I have drained the battery to zero. This usually happens when I am playing Monopoly and cannot see the battery indicator and for some reason I do not receive any warnings that the battery is low, or maybe I just ignore them because the evil car driver is buying all of the railroads! Sometimes I can have the phone plugged into a charger but the game drains the battery regardless. I have determined it is the charger's fault. I use the charger that came with my headset to charge my phone when I am upstairs and a different charger when I am downstairs. The downstairs charger is rated at 550 mA and the upstairs charger is rated at 180 mA. When I plug my phone into the downstairs charger it will immediately begin charging the phone. So make sure you are using a charger with enough amperage to kick the charging circuit into gear. I have no idea what that threshold is but it is more than 180 mA.

manhek

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

My battery got drained and wont charge. Tried with different plug points and chargers. Any ideas before i take it to the shop?

Nico350Z

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

I work a bit with PCB boards and stuff of that nature. I had this same issue with my Verizon Note II. It wouldn't charge when connecting the microUSB, I opened up the phone and found that the phone has it's own modular charging board that has the microUSB port and mic on it. With a magnifying glass I did find small imperfections on the solder joints but they were to small to fix. Usually this is from either water or shock damage, simply dropping your phone at the right angle can cause this issue. An old trick in the field is to bake your components..

I preheated the oven to 350 and placed the board on a tray and baked for 5 minutes.
(This will resolidify the solder and fix any imperfections)

I reinstalled the board and viola! works 100% again. Hope this helps anyone daring to try, just remember, you void any warranty by opening it up so only do it if it's your last resort.

Here's a pic of board that needs to be heated or replaced:

$(KGrHqFHJB8FGs6L6sEQBRwiMk51+g~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

Mohamed Ameer

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

okay i was experinsing the same problem and what i did was , took a pin and scraped the micro usb port pins now it charges like a baby ;) maybe it might work :)

djkdawg

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

okay i was experinsing the same problem and what i did was , took a pin and scraped the micro usb port pins now it charges like a baby ;) maybe it might work :)
right on the money, you could clean it with some alcohol also, pretty much what i did.

Paul88x

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem: it would sometimes stop charging like a loose connection. Putting pressure on the connection in a certain direction would cause the phone to charge while holding it. In the end I fixed this by BITING DOWN ON THE CONNECTION END OF THE CABLE, gently, to make it slightly narrower. This made a more "snug" fit when plugged into the phone and it works. It.also worked with another wire that was not connecting very well with a 3rd party dock.

I'm not saying this is perfect but it worked for me. I'm no longer regretting the note2 like I was doing last week when it wouldn't charge normally.

bunnybash

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site

I am buying a Qi charger and receiver pad cause I have had and seen too many problems with the usb ports develop over time.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Cliff Chapman

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

I have my phone beside me in bed and I think the cable got twisted - swapped for another Samsung charger and all fine.

ComradeZ

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

This happened to mine last night RIGHT after a rom swap.

I'll try the oven. works for video cards and xbox360s..might as well try this

Biswanath Das

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

Hi Guys sorry if in the wrong place. But my SGN2 has suddenly stopped charging. I only got the phone just over a month ago. I think it's the USB port as a couple of days after getting the phone I noticed sometimes it would stop charging like a loose connection but never really got round to getting it looked at as been really busy. I got the phone on contract from Phones 4 U and was wondering what I should do. Do I take it into the Phones 4 U store? am I still covered on a guarantee or w.e?

Thanks Guys

Reece

Biswanath Das

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

Thank u guys .I got scared , I bought the note 2 only 2 month back .As per ur suggestion I took a safety pin and scrap inside the usb chrging port and also the cable .ola is charging ***

Martyboy84

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

first ever post, just wanted to say thank you.

I had been out mountain climbing yesterday (as you do lol) and it the weather was wet and we had blizzards including temps below -9.

Got back to the house and my phone wouldn't charge.. Left it over night, same issue. NOTHING..

Whenever I replugged it in, for a second the dead battery icon would load and my charger would make the sort of humming noise.

I found this thread, tried scraping the USB connector on the phones side.. annnnd whalla!!!

Thank you for that, probably not the most scientific way, but it worked.

:)

(I should stress, I wasn't overly aggressive with it, I was not to firm or harsh)

Martyboy84

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

I take it back :(.

It just stopped charging at 15% and won't do anything else.

It also flags up as "usb connected".

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried a different cable and charger?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech