How much memory is available to the user out of the 16GB internal memory?

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I believe the U.S variants of the Note 2 have 16GB onboard memory along with a MicroSD slot.
I'm planning to buy the Note 2 and store ALL of my media on a MicroSD and leave the internal memory for apps alone. So how much memory exactly do I get? With games reaching 2GB these days that really matters since you can't install apps on the MicroSD anymore.

indysteve9

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I believe the U.S variants of the Note 2 have 16GB onboard memory along with a MicroSD slot.
I'm planning to buy the Note 2 and store ALL of my media on a MicroSD and leave the internal memory for apps alone. So how much memory exactly do I get? With games reaching 2GB these days that really matters since you can't install apps on the MicroSD anymore.

I'm thinking it's about 10g.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
6upu2ape.jpg

~swyped from a galaxy (note 2) far far away

HafeezAkmal

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Mine was 10-11gb when i got mine... but could somebody tell me how much memory do we have to reserve for the phone to run smoothly? I was worried that if I install too many stuff in there, it would cause my device to leak out memory.

I used to install 2-3 HD games, and other stuff, which then leaves only around 990mb storage on the device. I was concerned so i uninstalled most of the installed apps, giving 4gb of space and peace of mind, but not enjoying the device as much. I am very concerned about my storage space in this device. Do clarify, please. :(

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
As long as the apps are not constantly running, you should have no problem having it run smooth.

If it ever becomes a problem, hold the home button, hit the pie graph in the lower left hand, go to the ram sub menu, and clear ram.

HafeezAkmal

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. That really helped clear my head.

By the way, I routinely clear the RAM everytime I'm with the device, and it almost became an obsession to me. I do that 9-10 times a day, or even more, hmmmmm :eek:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

aharmsworth

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You cannot estimate this without clearing out the data for every app. Many apps cach data in memory, and the amount is based on what is available, for example, dropbox will cach more on the phone if there is more memory, but less if it is full.

You can demonstrate this by looking at the free memory, then installing a number of larger apps, and you will find the free memory does not change that much after a day or so, as the apps that use memory for caching simply cache more.

Obviously there is a limit, but no easy way I have found to find that limit.

Jarrod Dirig

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Is there any class action lawsuit pending for the blatant lies that have been perpetrated by Samsung. The Galaxy Note 2 was marketed with a 16gb internal memory capability yet no one has anywhere near that amount of memory. I find this to be an egregious breech of contract and a terrible scheme enacted on the loyal customers of Samsung.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Is there any class action lawsuit pending for the blatant lies that have been perpetrated by Samsung. The Galaxy Note 2 was marketed with a 16gb internal memory capability yet no one has anywhere near that amount of memory. I find this to be an egregious breech of contract and a terrible scheme enacted on the loyal customers of Samsung.

Can I get a class action lawsuit against SanDisk because my 8gb card only has 7.2?

The 16gb is the same way minus the os. I had 11.3 gb when I got my phone.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

No, because they do say that "actual formatted capacity will be less than advertised".

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums