I have a custom rom but I have not made a change to it or anything else on my Note 2. Lately, the battery is draining rapidly. Last night I charged the battery 100%, used an app to calibrate it, drained it completely, and then charged it overnight with the phone off. I turned it back on and ddid not use it at all, except for 3 emails that came to the phone, but it is still draining more than I like - down to 84% (from 100) in 1 hr 17 min. I looked at battery in setting and it says media is taking up 36%. When I looked at this yesterday media wasn't even present. Again, all I did was turn on the phone - I did not start any apps.

Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Battery drain-screenshot_2013-04-02-07-46-00.jpg  
    04-02-2013 07:38 AM
    Same thing happens to me but with Map's. I've tried every workaround possible and sometimes Map's run's fine other time's I pull it off the charger and maps shoot's right to the top of the Battery drain list. It really suck's.
    04-03-2013 03:03 AM
    Media is what's doing it. My mate had this problem. Pull the sd card if you have one. If it's that it will be a corrupt file causing the issue. Your phone will constantly be trying to open a the file on the sd card. Thats why media is present.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums
    04-03-2013 03:07 AM
    I have the exact same problem with the media app. It is using 85% of the battery all the time. My sd card also says it's blank or has an unknown file system sometimes and 10 minutes later it's working fine. I think that the SD card is being mounted and unmounted a whole lot of times when I'm not using it, draining the battery.

I'm sending my sd card back into SanDisk and they are replacing it for me today.
    04-03-2013 07:16 AM
    I have the exact same problem with the media app. It is using 85% of the battery all the time. My sd card also says it's blank or has an unknown file system sometimes and 10 minutes later it's working fine. I think that the SD card is being mounted and unmounted a whole lot of times when I'm not using it, draining the battery.

I'm sending my sd card back into SanDisk and they are replacing it for me today.
    That will be the problem. Could try a format maybe

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums
    04-03-2013 08:17 AM
    I have formatted with the phone. And I have formatted with 2 different computers to NTFS, FAT32, and exFAT32. NTFS was the worst if I remember correctly. I think it was unmounting and then mounting, and the media app was scanning the card for new data every time, killing my battery. I start off with a 100% charge every morning and by noon I am down to 40-50%. So, 4 days ago I started the RMA process with SanDisk (which is very easy).

Yesterday, I did not see the Blank Disk message or any error messages at all all day, and none today before I removed it. Seems like it was working for the first time in a month, but I don't know.

It would be nice if there was an Android Log of all the mounts, unmount, and scanning so I could see if that was the problem, but I don't know if one exists...
    04-03-2013 11:55 AM

It would be nice if there was an Android Log of all the mounts, unmount, and scanning so I could see if that was the problem, but I don't know if one exists...
    There are a couple of apps from the same company and they are free. aLogcat and aLogrec. Search on Google Play.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2
    04-03-2013 12:02 PM
    Thanks, wish I had this a few days ago as I already mailed in my card. If the new one does this I'll check it out with this app. Thx.
    04-03-2013 01:03 PM
    It's the SanDisk card. Newer Samsung phones (Note 2, Galaxy S3, etc.) have an issue with SanDisk cards (especially 32GB ones) manufactured before December 2012. They work fine for a while but then start mounting/unmounting themselves and in some cases, result in actual damage to the card, rendering your files unusable. SanDisk claims all their cards manufactured on 2013 don't have this issue.

I'd still play it safe and get a Samsung card or a (much cheaper) A-Data one which, in turn, has Samsung-provided innards.
    04-03-2013 02:50 PM
    Thanks, that is good to know.
    04-03-2013 06:30 PM
    It's the SanDisk card. Newer Samsung phones (Note 2, Galaxy S3, etc.) have an issue with SanDisk cards (especially 32GB ones) manufactured before December 2012. They work fine for a while but then start mounting/unmounting themselves and in some cases, result in actual damage to the card, rendering your files unusable. SanDisk claims all their cards manufactured on 2013 don't have this issue.

I'd still play it safe and get a Samsung card or a (much cheaper) A-Data one which, in turn, has Samsung-provided innards.
    I never had an issue yet...is this for all sandisk?

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    04-04-2013 08:22 AM
    MOST SanDisk cards made prior to December 2012. It doesn't happen at first, for some it doesn't happen at all... For most, it happens at some point and can cause you to lose your data. SanDisk is aware of the issue and as long as you mention you have a new Sammy phone and purchased one of their cards and it was made before 2013 (I think the only way to know is look at the packaging), they will issue an RMA and replace the card with a new one.
    04-04-2013 09:12 AM
    MOST SanDisk cards made prior to December 2012. It doesn't happen at first, for some it doesn't happen at all... For most, it happens at some point and can cause you to lose your data. SanDisk is aware of the issue and as long as you mention you have a new Sammy phone and purchased one of their cards and it was made before 2013 (I think the only way to know is look at the packaging), they will issue an RMA and replace the card with a new one.
    Thanks for the heads up time to get a new card asap!!

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    04-04-2013 10:44 AM

I'm using a 16gb Class 10 AData card and it did the same thing. Mount/unmount over and over again. Said all the files were corrupt. Put it on my computer, got all the files off no problem, formatted, put in phone, let the phone format it, worked for a while, and now it's sketchy again. It's not doing the mount/unmount, but it'll randomly say pictures are corrupt.
    04-04-2013 11:39 AM
    If it's not your SD card then it's Maps draining the battery. I have had the Maps draining battery issue since 4.1.2 and I pray that it's fixed in 4.2.2. Im so sick of not knowing if im going to be getting great battery life or if maps will be eating up my battery every charge...
    AnnDroid likes this.
    04-05-2013 05:54 AM
    If it's not your SD card then it's Maps draining the battery. I have had the Maps draining battery issue since 4.1.2 and I pray that it's fixed in 4.2.2. Im so sick of not knowing if im going to be getting great battery life or if maps will be eating up my battery every charge...
    Onemoa, have you not tried my suggestion in your Maps battery drain thread? Quoted below for others who might have the same problem.

" One other thing to check that was causing this same issue on my phone right after I got it- go into settings-location services and uncheck all three boxes. I had Google location services turned on and it was causing Maps to be a battery hog because it constantly checks to see where you are in location to everything using the maps app. It does this so that if you update Facebook or Twitter, it will show where you are.

If you open an app and it needs any of the location services to function, there will be a popup indicating so. I never turn on ANY of these unless an app requires it, then I just uncheck when finished with the app. Problem solved!"

Onemoa likes this.
    04-05-2013 07:41 AM
    Yeah, this sucks. It's been bad for me ever since 4.1.2. Normally I'd make it until about 4-5pm and my battery would be anywhere from 45-55% depending on my usage that day. Now it's hits 50% around 3pm no matter how little I use it. Look at battery, maps is 5% and I haven't even opened the app today. I tried wiping data, uninstalling updates and reinstalling, all that stuff. Maybe a full factory reset would fix it? But I'd really rather not do that...I wish greenify would let me put maps on the list :/
    04-05-2013 10:12 AM
    Apparently my posts are invisible to others. I have posted the fix to eliminate Maps from using ANY battery when not in use and have yet to have anyone in either thread to acknowledge it. I guess I can post on forums but can't make people read those posts. :banghead:

Onemoa likes this.
    04-05-2013 11:07 AM
    I have tried you're tactic srvctec, if I uncheck the last box out of the 3 Google Now doesnt work.

So far I've found that if I restart my phone charge it and take it off the charger as soon as the phone lights up and says battery fully charged, map's doesnt act up. I can use Google Now, and even Map's. But if I let it go past the screen turn on saying battery fully charged. Even if I hit the home key right after the screen turns off and unplug it. Map's act's up. It's really weird. I have everything turned off as far as Report from this device, latitude, check in's, The only thing I keep on is my location history and that hasnt really made a difference either way for me.

Im charging my Note 2 right now and I havent restated it yet. Im going to see if I dont need to as long as I unplug it as soon as the fully charged screen turn's on. I'll get back to you on if it work's or not within the new two hours.
    04-07-2013 12:04 AM
    I have tried you're tactic srvctec, if I uncheck the last box out of the 3 Google Now doesnt work.
    Yeah, I don't care if Google Now knows where I am so having the Google Location Services unchecked doesn't affect my Google Now use. Of course if I'm traveling, I'd turn on Google Location if I needed to know where the nearest whatever is when searching on Google Now, but then just turn it right back off when done.

04-07-2013 11:01 AM
    It was the SanDisk sd card that was causing all my problems. I removed it and sent it back to SanDisk last week, and put in older 16gb card and immediately my mount / unmount blank or file system problems went away. They totally went away! I received the new sd card yesterday and it seems to work fine.

Also that Media app that scans sd cards when they are mounted dropped from using 85% of the battery to almost nothing, and my battery went back to being able to last all day. I can use my phone normally and still have 60% battery at 5pm!
    srvctec likes this.
    04-11-2013 08:02 AM