Is it possible to turn off cellular module in a similar way to turning off wifi and GPS (via a toggle or something)? Or is this a part that can only be turned off while in airplane mode?
    04-06-2013 08:13 AM
    Is it possible to turn off cellular module in a similar way to turning off wifi and GPS (via a toggle or something)? Or is this a part that can only be turned off while in airplane mode?
    Not sure this is what you are after but I was at a hotel where there was virtually no cell signal. I put the phone is airplane mode (basically to save battery searching for a signal it would not get) and turned on WiFi, I got all the data I needed (email is critical for me). I am on T-Mobile so I also turned on WiFi calling, while the bandwidth was low and there was tremendous jitter (Resort Hotels always over subscribe on WiFi, while under subscribing on WAN connectivity), i had both voice and data. Most of my coworkers only had data (via WiFi).
    Continuum88 likes this.
    04-07-2013 01:23 PM
    Do you mean Data or everything?
    I use a toggle to switch off Data but keep calls & SMS possible.

SwitchPro Widget--> https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...alei.switchpro
    04-07-2013 01:46 PM
    I meant everything -- the "Mobile Data" toggle is already there and it works. What vr002sh suggests is great and it works -- just tried it out. It seems like a feature I didn't know about (probably in fact meant for utilizing onboard wifi on airplanes, while keeping cellular connection offline).
    And SIP works with this set-up as well.
    04-07-2013 03:02 PM
    I meant everything -- the "Mobile Data" toggle is already there and it works. What vr002sh suggests is great and it works -- just tried it out. It seems like a feature I didn't know about (probably in fact meant for utilizing onboard wifi on airplanes, while keeping cellular connection offline).
    And SIP works with this set-up as well.
    Glad it worked!
    04-07-2013 06:42 PM
    And if for some reason, Wi-Fi calling isn't an option on your phone (isn't on mine), you can use groove ip lite with a Google voice account to call...

~swyped from a galaxy (note 2) far far away
    04-07-2013 08:33 PM