Newbie Questions

itsjiggy

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

My first post here.

I have recently purchased a Note II, coming from an iPhone 4s.

Thoughts so far in my 4 days with the phone. I love it. Great screen size, but will take me some time to get used to a few things on it!

Couple of questions I was hoping somebody may be able to help with:

- The iPhone had a great search function. If I started typing it would search through my contacts, emails, etc. So if I was looking for a particular email in my inbox, even if it was months old, it would bring it up if I typed a part of the subject or the sender name, etc. I really miss this feature - is there anything remotely similar on the Note II?
- I have set up my emails on the phone. For some reason, I am unable to edit my Sender name, so it displays as the first part of my email address (the part before the @). Rather than my name. I have tried all sorts to change this. I have even deleted and re-added the accounts, but the option to alter sender name for some reason is removed so I am unable to change it on 2 of my email accounts. Whereas on the third one, the option is there and I can change sender name. Any way of doing it? IS it a bug? It is driving me mad!
- Also, trying to get used to the way of typing on the phone! When I enter a word, it helpfully comes up with a suggestion at the top of the keyboard if I misspell. However, is there any way to set the phone to automatically correct what I write, saving me moving hand up to click top of keyboard each time?

I look forward to advice on the above!

And I look forward to contributing to these forums with help for others as I hopefully pick up more and learn more about the phone. Seems the features are endless!!

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the boards! :)

I also just transitioned from iPhone 4S to Note 2 and really enjoying it (I've had my phone for a week now).. still getting used to it. I know there is a search app on our phone that comes stock. I think that's what your asking about (like on the iPhone the 1st page has that search function)

As far as changing your name, I think you should be able to in the settings somehow.

And for the auto correct, I haven't found a way for it to just automatically change like the iPhone.. or how it scrolls seamlessly in the text box .. I do miss that from my iPhone too

But here are some great resources that I've enjoyed. Hope you'll find it helpful!
http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html#post1439377
http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html

itsjiggy

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi hot mom
Thanks for the useful post.
I cannot see a search app anywhere! What is it called? Will try to download it.
With the keyboard best way I have found so far is to type five or six words without pressing the space bar and then the suggestion box comes up with a suggestion for all the words and you can click less often and saves you ever pressing space bar. I am trial and error on various methods at the moment so just will have to wait and see what is easiest but would have been useful to have auto correct.

Still no luck with the emails so if anyone else has any idea please let me know!

Also thanks for the links will look through these later!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi hot mom
With the keyboard best way I have found so far is to type five or six words without pressing the space bar and then the suggestion box comes up with a suggestion for all the words and you can click less often and saves you ever pressing space bar. I am trial and error on various methods at the moment so just will have to wait and see what is easiest but would have been useful to have auto correct.

Still no luck with the emails so if anyone else has any idea please let me know!

I couldn't help but giggle at "hot mom" LOL I'm far from that haha..

But anywho.. the search app is where all the other apps are.. the icon with the 4 boxes (well it looks like that on mine) the app is just called "search" with a magnifying glass on it.. I actually haven't used it but i've seen in and i'm guessing that's what it's used for :p

and you're welcome about the links! :)

I'll try to mess around with my e-mail.. are you using the stock e-mail app? (i use gmail)

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

My first post here.

I have recently purchased a Note II, coming from an iPhone 4s.

Thoughts so far in my 4 days with the phone. I love it. Great screen size, but will take me some time to get used to a few things on it!

Couple of questions I was hoping somebody may be able to help with:

- The iPhone had a great search function. If I started typing it would search through my contacts, emails, etc. So if I was looking for a particular email in my inbox, even if it was months old, it would bring it up if I typed a part of the subject or the sender name, etc. I really miss this feature - is there anything remotely similar on the Note II?
- I have set up my emails on the phone. For some reason, I am unable to edit my Sender name, so it displays as the first part of my email address (the part before the @). Rather than my name. I have tried all sorts to change this. I have even deleted and re-added the accounts, but the option to alter sender name for some reason is removed so I am unable to change it on 2 of my email accounts. Whereas on the third one, the option is there and I can change sender name. Any way of doing it? IS it a bug? It is driving me mad!
- Also, trying to get used to the way of typing on the phone! When I enter a word, it helpfully comes up with a suggestion at the top of the keyboard if I misspell. However, is there any way to set the phone to automatically correct what I write, saving me moving hand up to click top of keyboard each time?

I look forward to advice on the above!

And I look forward to contributing to these forums with help for others as I hopefully pick up more and learn more about the phone. Seems the features are endless!!

-the search app is called Google, you can also get to it by long pressing the menu button from the home screen
-I don't use the default mail app so I can't help there
-there are many other keyboard options out there. I use SwiftKey and it behaves like you want it to

Sent from my Note 2

itsjiggy

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Yes I am using stock email app. I have the Gmail, but my main email accounts are hotmail, so have used stock email app for these. If there are better apps out there please do tell, I am happy to switch!
I have tried the search. It does search the phone for apps or contacts, but not on par with the apple or blackberry search, which seemed to search emails too, which is what I wanted!. Will have to live with this I think.

I will also try swiftkey!

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Try going into the email app and hit the Menu button at the very top it says search, you can search for Email. You just have to make sure you have it synced to you're phone.

The reason we can't search Email's on the Note 2 as easy is because Samsung had to take a lot of that function out of there phones due to apple. There were allot more way's to search before apple decided to sue Samsung. You could search for all kind's of thing's before. I remember my S2 had that option but then Samsung updated it and took allot of those cool features out. You can search for thing's using Google search bar (Google Now). Google Now, it's great and did bring back a lot of nice features but it's nothing like it could be, due to apple and there greed.

Once you learn more you're never going to want to go back to an iPhone. Android is amazing and like I said once you get the hang of it, you will have no problems.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi hot mom

Make sure you have on swype turned on in the Samsung keyboard. It's the fastest way to type and auto correct get's better the more you use it.

ericrangel76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with Onemoa and in that this is an amazing phone. I a new Note owner as well. I've had mine for about a month and I'm still learning new stuff about it. I had a Blackberry before I made the switch.

I would give the SwiftKey keyboard a try. The word predictions on the keyboard is really good. I really like the Flow feature on it.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

herecomesmaggi

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Swift key sure has its charms but I m a fan. Only problem I faced that sometimes I have to type in my native language then it force predicts then I have to choose space and then del it....

Regards n Wishes

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I agree that iOS has an awesome search feature.
Correct me if I'm wrong, they also have a patent on the Universal Search Feature.
One of the many lawsuits against Apple vs. Samsung & Google.

I don't use the Samsung stock keyboard. I hate the way the word prediction feature on it.
Many users prefer Swiftkey. I purchased Swiftkey as well, and it's a great alternative.
I don't use it much because my favorite keyboard is still Smart Keyboard Pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree that iOS has an awesome search feature.
Correct me if I'm wrong, they also have a patent on the Universal Search Feature.
One of the many lawsuits against Apple vs. Samsung & Google.

I don't use the Samsung stock keyboard. I hate the way the word prediction feature on it.
Many users prefer Swiftkey. I purchased Swiftkey as well, and it's a great alternative.
I don't use it much because my favorite keyboard is still Smart Keyboard Pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Also the reason the htc one was delayed on hitting the states... they had to push an update that removed it.

Basically, I use swype, it doesn't auto correct unless you use the swype function.

~swyped from a galaxy (note 2) far far away

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung keyboard is awesome. It's what I always use. It's better then swype because it is less laggy and as you're typing it auto corrects. You can be half way through the word and it will already be spelled out. It also learns as you use it like swype. It keeps a dictionary of word's you use and imho, it does it better then swype. The Samsung keyboard is pretty much the stock jelly bean keyboard but better, imo of course.

I also like that you can hit the microphone button and type with you're voice using the Google Now voice engine. It gets very accurate the more you use it, just like the Samsung keyboard.

I used swype since the Galaxy S Vibrant (the first Galaxy S) up until the S2. But when I got my Note 2 I tried the Samsung keyboard and it's the best I have used. You must have continuous text check marked in order for it to work like swype. I've also tried swiftkey and about 3 other keyboards from the Play Store and non of them are as smooth and accurate as the Samsung Keyboard.

Everyone has there own style of typing though, so it really does come down to personal preference. I just find that the Samsung Keyboard does it all and does it very well. Even if you're not a Swyper and like to use you're thumbs. You can turn off continuous text and be good to go. But I could never go back to using the old way of typing after using swype and even more so after using the Samsung keyboard.

About the search feature in email. Did you ever find it? As long as you have you're email synced to you're phone. You just hit the the menu button and at the very top there is a search feature. As I said in my other post. Is it working for you?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The search function does indeed work and can be accessed several ways here are 2.

1. Hold the home key for a few seconds until the menu pops up, in the middle on the bottom you will see a google icon. Click it, and it will bring up a search menu that can be used to both search the web and your phone simultaneously. I just tried to find a contacts name and it found it right away.

2. Put a google search widget somewhere in a homescreen. Ot functions the same way as previosly mentioned.

I made a screenshot of the second option so you can see how I have mine. It put my search widget on the default homescreen so I can always find it quickly.
ryberyqu.jpg

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The search function does indeed work and can be accessed several ways here are 2.

1. Hold the home key for a few seconds until the menu pops up, in the middle on the bottom you will see a google icon. Click it, and it will bring up a search menu that can be used to both search the web and your phone simultaneously. I just tried to find a contacts name and it found it right away.

2. Put a google search widget somewhere in a homescreen. Ot functions the same way as previosly mentioned.

I made a screenshot of the second option so you can see how I have mine. It put my search widget on the default homescreen so I can always find it quickly.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/10/ryberyqu.jpg

On touchwiz you just told down the menu button and you go straight to Google now. Holding the home key is s voice

Sent from my Note 2

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Yes I am using stock email app. I have the Gmail, but my main email accounts are hotmail, so have used stock email app for these. If there are better apps out there please do tell, I am happy to switch!
I have tried the search. It does search the phone for apps or contacts, but not on par with the apple or blackberry search, which seemed to search emails too, which is what I wanted!. Will have to live with this I think.

I will also try swiftkey!

SwiftKey is good but if you select it as your default keyboard it will revert back to the samsung keyboard everyone you reboot your note 2

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
On touchwiz you just told down the menu button and you go straight to Google now. Holding the home key is s voice

Sent from my Note 2

This may be specific to the different models of the note 2, but on my att phone holding the menu key does nothing. Double tapping the home button brings up svoice and holding the home key brings up task manager with search on the same screen.
jave3aba.jpg

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
This may be specific to the different models of the note 2, but on my att phone holding the menu key does nothing. Double tapping the home button brings up svoice and holding the home key brings up task manager with search on the same screen.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/10/jave3aba.jpg

I'm on att as well. Everything you said is the same for me except holding the menu key. Not sure why it's different but I've heard of others holding the menu key for Google now so that's how I knew to do it. Now that I think about it I only think it works from the home screen, give that a shot

Sent from my Note 2

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I figured out what was different. Im using apex launcher that lets me have quick launch settings for specific tasks.

itsjiggy

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Just an update. I downloaded the swiftkey app but after a day or so have gone back to the stock app. It does what I need just a question of getting used to it which I still am doing right now.

Regarding the search I already have the floating Google bar on my screen which I sometimes use but it cannot compare to the apple search function which is a lot quicker and more comprehensive.
Will update on here as I find out more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar