Dropbox/Dropsync Conflicted Copy???

stevep1794

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have trolled this site, Dropbox and dropsync and really can not solve this... maybe Im just not looking in the right spot for the right answer.. So here it goes.

I have dropbox on 3 devices (Note II, Note 10.1 and laptop)
I draw a doodle on tablet save and upload to DB (dropbox going forward)
I look on LT (laptop going forward) BAM!! its there...cool.
I look on phone BAM!!! its there...

And here's where It gets wacky..

When I open the document created on the tab on my phone...I can edit and do whatever I want.
When I close that document on my phone.. it then syncs to DP via DS (you get the naming convention idea here)
Then I go back to my LP and the edits I made on my phone, now gives me a conflict copy on all 3 devices??

Basically - how do I open an S Note in one devise.. make changes in another.. and NOT get a conflicted copy on all three? I keep having to delete the CC off all three devises.. until I make another change then this vicious circle repetes itself. :-\

Any suggesstions would be great. Thanks

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I have the same type devices and use dp the same way except I don't use s-note. I use dp for my budget and so I use xls extensions on my laptop and either kingsoftoffice or officesuite on note10 and note 2 for reading and editing. I don't have the problem you have. So it seems to me that it is possibly an s-note problem or a setting you have set to not overwrite files in db. What are you using to edit snb extensions on your laptop I ask because there has been a lot of discussion about people not being able to edit s-note's snb extension files on other devices (I think it's something about proprietary format). Makes me think you may not be editing them but just creating new files with the same name which would be a conflict.

stevep1794

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
well Im just playing with S Note till I get the syncing down a lot better...Im am only using the SNB format. so far. After posting i decided to play around a bit.. and found that DS and DB settings need to be close to each other in regards to the time of the syncing..heres what I found (the problem is still not resolved)

I can create from phone and send to DP.com...
I can hit DS "sync now" on the phone and "see it" in DB on my phone.
I then go to tablet and hit DS to "see it" update on the tablets side of DS...
Then I hit DB to see it show in the file location in DB on the tablet.
Go to S Note on Tab and hit refresh... then it shows up in S Note...

Basically a whole lot of refreshing and syncing just to see things move from end to end... that above ordeal takes about 5 mins.. depending on wi-fi or carrier network of course... these were times I got while in wi-fi.

That was 5 housr ago..everything looked great...then 3 hrs later.. i got another conflict... i didnt touch anything, didnt add anything. But i did delete something else on the talet side of S Note.. it wasnt the file I had just made for fun to see what was going on.. it was another file..but low and behold.. i get another comflict...

Back to the drawing board. I will write down my steps to see what I may be missing. I really dont think I should have to go all the refresh and resync steps each time to make sure something is on both devices.

stevep1794

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I just made a SNB on my tab and did the following (resulted in conflict copy again)

Made SNB in S NOTE on tablet
sync now in DS on tablet
** 3 mins later got conflict copy dwnld back from DB to tablet...so now I have 2 SNBs one I made and one that is a conflict.

My take is this may have something to do with two way sync. Im thinking it goes to DB cloud and because of two way sync... it DS or I'd guess S Note sees a file from the DB cloud and since it has the same name and size as the original, it then calls it a conflict... and since its now a new named SNB... it gets loaded in as well.

I have not checked my phone but im sure its on there as well...

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't use dropsync. Do you need to refresh drop box when you use dropsync? Will dropsync work with Box?

stevep1794

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
So after further review... There is no way to utilize DB with DS and have two devices sync the same file. You will need to create a folder in DB for each device and then you can use two way sync with each folder.

Phone - to DB via DS (set up two way sync)
Tablet - to DB via DS (set up two way sync)

If anyone (other than me) has additional input.. I'd more than happy to see what you have come up with that may work.

stevep1794

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes..you gotta refresh it each time in order for the other side to see it... Dsync has auto sync and you can set the interval to 15 mins if youd like. but there is no time sync setting on DBox so you'd have to go in manually and hit refresh.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why you actually need dropsync. I share dropbox between 2 PCs and a phone and it works fine.
Seems to me that having two programs trying to sync the same folders will cause confusion. What happens it you run without dropsync?

stevep1794

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
with Dbox you only get the upload.. with Dsync you get two way syncing. so if you make a change on your computer.. it goes down to your device.. Dsync is the go between for your devise and Dbox.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand what you mean. I just put a file in my dropbox folder on my PC, I picked up my phone and hit refresh and the file was there in 3 seconds.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I thought I was understanding your problem but when I read your solution I was lost.

I've been using Dropbox /Dropsync for years now and have not had any sync issues (he actually had a lot when he first created the app).

I've mainly used it for books and office files (docs, xls). I've made changes on those files from my Linux desktop, Android tablet, and phone on the same file all sync no problem.

Just remember the spen might change the file format of the file if opened. To sync across platform you need to test files that have the same format regardless of platform (PDF, docs, xls)

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why you actually need dropsync. I share dropbox between 2 PCs and a phone and it works fine.
Seems to me that having two programs trying to sync the same folders will cause confusion. What happens it you run without dropsync?
I don't either unless it is just so you do not have to refresh Dropbox with your app.

Does anyone know if Dropsync will work with Box?

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't either unless it is just so you do not have to refresh Dropbox with your app.
Dropsync allows you to sync files without any manual process. You pick a folder on your Android device and a folder in Dropbox and it will sync for you. You can sync one way, two say, based on size, on wifi/mobile, etc...

Does anyone know if Dropsync will work with Box?
No it does not. It only works with Dropbox though I would love if it support more.

stevep1794

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I thought I was understanding your problem but when I read your solution I was lost.

I've been using Dropbox /Dropsync for years now and have not had any sync issues (he actually had a lot when he first created the app).

I've mainly used it for books and office files (docs, xls). I've made changes on those files from my Linux desktop, Android tablet, and phone on the same file all sync no problem.

Just remember the spen might change the file format of the file if opened. To sync across platform you need to test files that have the same format regardless of platform (PDF, docs, xls)

this is only for SNB (like the original post said) I havent even started in docs yet... hahaha. Just looking for a solution because no matter what I do it gives me a conflicted copy. Could it also be a samsung account issue..?? I think I will turn off the active sync to my sammy account for S Note and see what happens.