Screen rotation for home screens?

PittiesRule

Banned
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes I always understood your point but since my original post DID NOT APPLY TO YOU because yours is working correctly I didnt understand why you commented. I know it works I just want to know why it works for some and not others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

And my post was for those .... ah never mind, you phone geeks aren't worth it.

I'm going for a beer.

Sent thru cyberspace by my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
And my post was for those .... ah never mind, you phone geeks aren't worth it.

I'm going for a beer.

Problem is prior to your last couple of posts, you must've replied about half a dozen times just saying "works flawlessly for me" which is neither helpful or constructive and just comes across as though you believe those of us with the problem are just fools. Clearly with so many having the same problem, this is not just a settings issue but something more involved going on.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey try the different modes of landscape. I believe one is forced auto, auto lanscape and landscape. Do any these make it so the icons arent cut off?

I tried force landscape on the home menu its ok, but in the app draw the fifth row is half missing

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
SO ANYWAY, getting back to where we were . . . .

I just downloaded Ulitimate, and it worked for me. I'm on VZW.
Same here, no issues in the app drawer or otherwise.

Is that it? Those on VZW have no problem with Ultimate, and those on AT&T have the problem (the portrait-mode icon arrangement when the app drawer is rotated into landscape mode)?

I'm wondering why a carrier would do that, or even how it could.

digital0verdose

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Im not getting personal. Prior to the comment above I havent used caps in an angrily tone as far as I know. If you believe that I have then I apologize. I will stop commenting on this particular post. Though I am one of the people with issues running ultimate rotation, I will only read not comment from here on out on this particular issue.

Your passive aggressiveness has been noted.

SO ANYWAY, getting back to where we were . . . .

Is that it? Those on VZW have no problem with Ultimate, and those on AT&T have the problem (the portrait-mode icon arrangement when the app drawer is rotated into landscape mode)?

I'm wondering why a carrier would do that, or even how it could.

That is what it is looking like. Unfortunately carriers screw around with things thinking they know how we want our phones and rarely are they correct.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
That is what it is looking like. Unfortunately carriers screw around with things thinking they know how we want our phones and rarely are they correct.

What's funny is that it had to be an affirmative choice. Some AT&T lackey made the conscious decision to require Samsung to insert a line or two of code in TW for AT&T to prevent any app from changing the 4 column x 5 row arrangement of icons on the app drawer screens.

digital0verdose

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
What's funny is that it had to be an affirmative choice. Some AT&T lackey made the conscious decision to require Samsung to insert a line or two of code in TW for AT&T to prevent any app from changing the 4 column x 5 row arrangement of icons on the app drawer screens.

My guess is that this issue is a byproduct of another change they made. More of a reason they should trust Google and Samsung to create an interface that customers want.

PittiesRule

Banned
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Problem is prior to your last couple of posts, you must've replied about half a dozen times just saying "works flawlessly for me" which is neither helpful or constructive and just comes across as though you believe those of us with the problem are just fools. Clearly with so many having the same problem, this is not just a settings issue but something more involved going on.

Yes I definitely believe you're a little on the slow side

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Your passive aggressiveness has been noted.

Yes I definitely believe you're a little on the slow side

Wow, just can't help yourself can you?

Trying to show some examples here... I'm not singling out just these quoted pieces because if I took the time to go back and grab all the nonsense that continues to go back and forth I would have quite a list of members continuing to bicker back and forth.

Point is, if you guys can't contribute to the OP and ongoing issues spoken about in this thread then please don't respond at all. I hate to put it like that but it seems that we can't keep our personal differences and feelings out of this discussion and its just derailing this thread completely. Its not fair to the OP and those who are interested in resolving the issue some are having.

So lets try and all be grown ups and act professional here and get back to the topic.

Thanks

Paul627g
Forums Moderator.

Last edited:

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that this issue is a byproduct of another change they made. More of a reason they should trust Google and Samsung to create an interface that customers want.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's right. The array of widgets re-arrange themselves when you rotate into landscape, but the apps do not, which suggests just that kind of inadvertent byproduct of some ace move.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's right. The array of widgets re-arrange themselves when you rotate into landscape, but the apps do not, which suggests just that kind of inadvertent byproduct of some ace move.

Are we suggesting this is something to do with carrier customisations? Doesn't apply to me. I have the problem using an unlocked international LTE Note 2.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Are we suggesting this is something to do with carrier customisations? Doesn't apply to me. I have the problem using an unlocked international LTE Note 2.

Well, there goes that theory then. Which I guess leaves some setting on the app or elsewhere on the phone, or maybe some other app, who knows. It's not terribly consequential for me because I don't keep the apps I regularly use in the app drawer, they're out on the home screens. And all app icons on the app drawer screen are still accessible in portrait mode. But I'm not paying for the app.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I went ahead and tried a few apps, namely Ultimate Rotation and Adaptive Rotation. My results are actually worse than what's noted above. I have the same issue with regards to the app drawer cutting off the 5th row. I also have issue with my home screen. For me, it cuts off my wallpaper and has a large black empty space on the left and a little one on the right. I use static wallpaper, so not sure if it has to do with this. The issue for both wallpaper and app drawer with both Ultimate and Adaptive.

As for Go Launcher, I don't like the wallpaper options. If you set a static portrait wallpaper there's no method of setting how it looks in landscape. i.e. take top portion, take middle, take bottom, set another custom crop, etc. For me, when it rotates it makes my wallpaper look terrible. Ultimate and Adaptive actually have a good look besides those black bars.

anantinfosys

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Maybe a bit late to the forum. I am from India, I have Ultimate Rotation Control on my Note 2 and I was experiencing the same problem as many of those above, that the bottom row of apps was getting cut off when apps were accessed in landscape mode.
I have personally found 2 solutions to this, one is tedious and has already been mentioned by someone else in some post above while the other I have thought by myself and is more a workaround and zero bit tedious. So here are the 2 solutions:

Problem: After moving to landscape mode with Ultimate rotation control enabled in Force Auto mode, click on Apps in the home screen, and the 5th row of apps is cut off from the bottom of the screen.

Solution 1: After going into apps in landscape mode, go to menu, click View Type, and select Alphabetical list. That would give an alphabetical listing of apps without eating or cutting anything from the bottom. The main obstacle or hindrance with this solution is that when you go back into portrait mode and see apps, they will still be seen in an alphabetical list which many may not prefer. Secondly if you prefer to have apps listed as 5*5 customizable grid in portrait mode, in that case whenever you go back to landscape mode you have to go to the menu again, and select Alphabetical list again. Thats pretty cumbersome both ways, not taking anything away from people who posted this solution.

Solution 2 (workaround that I did): When in portrait mode, create a new page of apps, and move all the apps in the 5th row of earlier existing pages into that page. That is, under portrait mode, apps have now been arranged in 5*4 rows in all pages, instead of the default 5*5. Simply put, remove apps from last row in all pages and move them to a new page, and now go back to landscape mode, and check your apps again. None of the rows would be cut now I bet. And you won't need to do this again and again. Only when you install a new app, just see that it does not go into a 5th row under portrait mode, rather goes into a new page, or create a page and move the newly installed app to the new page.

To create a new page under apps, click on Menu, then Edit, keep holding your finger on the app you want to move that is long press the app, 4 new buttons will appear on the top - Create Folder, Create Page, App Info, Uninstall. While holding the app icon with the finger, drag it to the 2nd button on top i.e. Create Page and drop it there. Now a new page has been created. For moving apps across pages, hold your finger on the app and drag it to the extreme right till a light blue vertical line is visible on the extreme right. That would take the app to the next page in around a couple of seconds. Either do not pull the finger till dropping the icon into a new placeholder on the next page, or keep hanging on to it dragging it to the extreme right at one go into the new page and dropping it on the new page. That means to say, you can either move the apps page by page, or even at a single go. I personally found it easier to drag the app from one page to the next, drop it, then again hold, drag and move to the next and so on and so forth. Continue doing this for all the 5th row apps. And when you have completed the editing, do remember to click Save on the top right else all effort and changes would go waste. And in case you are not satisfied with the editing, you can click Cancel. Now you have 5*4 arrangement of apps.

The attached screenshots should make it clear. In case, people find the solution good, but are unable to understand how to do it, or are even unclear what I am talking about, then please let me know, I'll create a youtube video with an entire presentation of what I did and post the link here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0jzzrwni57qitk/portrait.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qpl1aqrx817nzq/landscape.jpg

The only thing I didn't like about my own workaround is that now you are limited to 20 apps per page as compared to the default 25, but still it is not that bitter a pill to swallow for the love of rotating your home screen. I wish Android 4.3 or 5.0 gives an implicit way to rotate home and lock screens, but then this and a few other such rotation apps would be rendered useless. I have no clue whether such a scenario is a litigation problem and how Google manages to satisfy the developers whose apps have been rendered obsolete by creation of new inbuilt similar functionality, probably they buy such apps for hefty sums to keep the developers interested. Or rather, they should.

By the way, you can check many more Android solutions and tweaks at my blog
Tech tweaks

Last edited:

Note 2 Self

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Great information. Just bought Note 2 and have no rotation on anything I view. Is this the best fix now? Has anything improved? Im a Verizon customer. Thanks.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
On anything? Make sure screen rotation is on.. In settings or you can access by dragging down screen and it should be a option in the top bar.

IT'S TRUE,, SIZE IS EVERYTHING!

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
yhyjerup.jpg

IT'S TRUE,, SIZE IS EVERYTHING!

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I just installed Ultimate Rotation on my Sprint GN2 device and at first glance, it seems to work OK. The main screen icons are arranged without being cut off. The bottom row of Icons: Phone, Voicemail, Messaging, Internet, and Apps are arranged vertically on the right hand side. The rest of the screens show in a similar fashion. My icon list is arranged as a 4x4 row.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463