Best "Find My Phone App" for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm search of a good app that will allow me to find and locate my phone if lost or stolen.
I was previously using Wheres My Droid, but some of the features such as the ability to take photos requires the paid version.
I downloaded Lookout, but it required a subscription in order to take full advantage of the app.
I then came across an app called Android Lost. I'm impressed so far, because it allows me to use the camera to take pictures for free, unlike Wheres My Droid.
I was also impressed that Android Lost allows me to use it on my Android tablets. Most apps I came across only allowed me to trigger a sound by sending a SMS message only. I was able to communicate and initiate commands to those devices using Android Lost's website.
So far I'm thinking of keeping Android Lost, but I'm open to suggestions for apps that may be better.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Ceberus anti-theft and plan B are excellent options.

Ceberus can even take a picture of the person operating your phone. Plan B allows you to install it and locate phone after you've lost it, haven't tried this feature yet but it does sound like an option for the last resort.

szparaj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I personally like Android Lost. It can takes pictures, GPS location, make a loud alarm, Lock your phone with a new passcode on the fly, wipe it, and so much more.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was using Where's My Droid, but I found that it is really slow locating my phone. And also randomly it would stop working. Also I didn't like that it doesn't have its own map and have to click to go to google map. I have switched to Lookout app for 3 months now and it was working really great. I like that it will notify me the last location of the phone when the battery dies. I just use the free app and didn't really need any of the premium features.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Ceberus anti-theft and plan B are excellent options.

Ceberus can even take a picture of the person operating your phone. Plan B allows you to install it and locate phone after you've lost it, haven't tried this feature yet but it does sound like an option for the last resort.

I'm not to fund of the Plan B app because it was unable to locate one of my older Android phones. I was able to use the kickstart app from Android Lost to find it. It's rating isn't has high as the others.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I was using Where's My Droid, but I found that it is really slow locating my phone. And also randomly it would stop working. Also I didn't like that it doesn't have its own map and have to click to go to google map. I have switched to Lookout app for 3 months now and it was working really great. I like that it will notify me the last location of the phone when the battery dies. I just use the free app and didn't really need any of the premium features.

Glad to hear it wasn't just me. I also noticed Wheres My Droid was rather slow locating my device.
I like the web layout of Look.com for the Lookout app. My only gripe is the features. Are you able to sound an alarm and take photos like some of the other apps? I couldn't find it. Perhaps I'm overlooking it.

Edit: I found the alarm and camera feature for the Lookout app. The alarm is defaulted to 60 seconds, and doesn't seem to have a way of customizing the length. The time of the alarm can be changed in Android Lost. I was also able to get it to take a photo for the Lookout app, but the instructions said the person had to enter the password incorrectly 3 times before it snapped a photo.
If someone is familiar with the Lookout app, then they would know this because the lock screen displays "This device is protected by Lookout". Therefore, they probably would not attempt to enter the password more than 3 times. Some of the other apps have a generic lockscreen, therefore the person would not know what security app is installed and how to stay clear of certain pitfalls.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Why would you use a separate app when your phone has that very function already built in? Just register your Samsung account (which, in most cases, you've already done) and you can track your phone, lock it, make it ring loudly no matter what the sound setting is, send a message and lock the screen, wipe it even if the phone's off (it'll somehow send the instruction after it's been re-powered); all from the Samsung webpage.

PittiesRule

Banned
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I installed Android lost on my phone and then decided I don't want it and now can't get it to uninstall.

Sent thru cyber space by my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

PittiesRule

Banned
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I installed Android lost on my phone and then decided I don't want it and now can't get it to uninstall.

Went to the website and figured it out. I have to admit that it's quite clever how they have it setup.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Why would you use a separate app when your phone has that very function already built in? Just register your Samsung account (which, in most cases, you've already done) and you can track your phone, lock it, make it ring loudly no matter what the sound setting is, send a message and lock the screen, wipe it even if the phone's off (it'll somehow send the instruction after it's been re-powered); all from the Samsung webpage.

very cool. so i went onto the samsung site, registered, etc. but couldn't find this anywhere. do you have a direct link you can post (or show the menu tree)?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

A link would be nice. I registered my phone several months ago, and I'm on the Samsung website now. I can't find anything about a recovery feature. If they do have it, they sure aren't doing a good job of advertising it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

PittiesRule

Banned
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

Yes please do provide a link, I am registered with Samsung and was on their site and can't find anything that you speak of.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I logged into the Samsung Find My Phone site Find my mobile | Samsung Content & Services and noticed that the Galaxy S3 & Galaxy Note 2 I have activated on my Verizon account aren't listed. The only device is the Galaxy Tab 10.1 I purchased nearly 2 years ago. I was trying to find a way to add those devices, so I went to samsung.com and noticed that I was already logged in. When I went to my account settings, all 3 devices were listed for the main Samsung account but not for the findmymobile site.
After doing a search online, most people are saying that the American cell phone versions aren't supported. Since I purchased the Asurion insurance, I decided to visit their website. https://www.mymobilerecovery.com Asurion has their own version of the recovery site and app. I wonder if the US Carriers blocked the Samsung version to force us to use the Asurion verison? The Asurion website is https://www.mymobilerecovery.com, and their link to the PlayStore app is https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ZHJvaWQubW9iaWxlcmVjb3ZlcnkiXQ&token=eub9T4cb..

I will most likely stick to using Android Lost because it has way more features than the Asurion version. The Asurion version can sound an alarm, locate phone, lock phone, erase contacts, and file a claim. No camera functionality, or any of the other features other 3rd party apps provide. The Samsung version for my Tab 10.1 isn't all that either. It has track my mobile, lock my mobile, ring my mobile, and wipe my mobile. That's about it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's not the site's problem or American versions not being supported, you have to activate it. Go to Settings in your phone and make sure that those are active; otherwise it won't work.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
It's not the site's problem or American versions not being supported, you have to activate it. Go to Settings in your phone and make sure that those are active; otherwise it won't work.

I came across a post on one site where someone said to go into Settings > Security to activate it. I went there and the settings are not there.
If they are on the American version (Verizon), where should I look, because so far I haven't seen them.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure about the other American carriers, but it's been removed from the Verizon version.
I came across a video of someone showing how to enable the Remote Control settings.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=kjbFuer1ezo&desktop_uri=/watch?v=kjbFuer1ezo

In the screen shot I've provided from my device, the Remote Control settings have been removed.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365698950947.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365698950947.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 27

PittiesRule

Banned
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm s Verizon subscriber and think they are really starting to **** me off. For what reason would they remove that?

Sent thru cyberspace by my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR