Hi. Is there a replacement USB cable I can use for my 2.1a charger? My other USB cables weren't charging my phone fast enough. I thought it was the fault of the charger until I plugged in the OEM cable.

What type of USB cable should I look for? I was hoping there was a retractable kind of some sort that I could use for my car's outlet. Anybody know?
    04-15-2013 02:56 PM
    Hi. Is there a replacement USB cable I can use for my 2.1a charger? My other USB cables weren't charging my phone fast enough. I thought it was the fault of the charger until I plugged in the OEM cable.

What type of USB cable should I look for? I was hoping there was a retractable kind of some sort that I could use for my car's outlet. Anybody know?
    OEM cables are the best but if you go Here> Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Chargers & Cables - ShopAndroid there are alot of options including retractable as you requested, if you look over the reviews you can see which cables work best.
    04-15-2013 03:58 PM
    But cables that is branded Samsung or HTC (eBay or Amazon). I used them both with good result. Tried a non branded 6 ft cable and after 7 hours it charged my note 2 to 80%. I wasn't even using the phone. Grrrr

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    04-16-2013 12:28 AM
    Why the difference? Doesn't it only depend on the length of the cable, regardless of who made it?
    04-16-2013 05:26 AM
    Why the difference? Doesn't it only depend on the length of the cable, regardless of who made it?
    No, not just length. If it is a crap cable, you probably won't be getting 2a charging

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    04-16-2013 07:49 AM
    it's also the gauge of the wires. the lower the gauge, the thicker the wire, and the less resistance you'll have in the wire which will allow more current to pass. what you want is a usb cable that is designed to handle the current (picture a garden hose hooked up to a fire hydrant, that's the situation with many cables hooked up to a 2+ amp charger for our phones. it'll take longer to get the same amount of volume of water that a proper fire hose would get in an hour). also, lower gauge wires and cables cost more, you probably noticed the difference when buying extension cords.

if you don't want to use stock, then use media bridge high speed usb cables.
    04-16-2013 08:26 AM
    Yes, I'm mostly familiar with the amperage and cables, I just thought that with such a short cable it shouldn't make much of a difference. But then again, I'm speaking from what I have in my closet. Frankly, I think the stock cable I got with my Note II isn't some top-notch production. It gets the work done, though. And I shouldn't even mention the USB cable that came with my (or probably any) iPad: now that's some lousy piece of c**p.
    04-16-2013 09:11 AM
    +1 on Media Bridge. The charger/cable accessories game is fraught with peril for Note 2 owners, or at least slow charging. Even shopandroid labels the Motorola 950 mA car charger as being for the Note 2.
    04-16-2013 09:11 AM
    Yes, I'm mostly familiar with the amperage and cables, I just thought that with such a short cable it shouldn't make much of a difference. But then again, I'm speaking from what I have in my closet. Frankly, I think the stock cable I got with my Note II isn't some top-notch production. It gets the work done, though. And I shouldn't even mention the USB cable that came with my (or probably any) iPad: now that's some lousy piece of c**p.
    since you're familiar with wire and gauges, then you can calculate the big variances in resistances in short cables. for example, even if you use a one-foot cable with a gauge of 35 and apply a usb voltage of 5v across the wire, then you'll get 0.3 ohms of resistance. now move the gauge to 40, run your calculation, and you'll get total ohms of about 1. that's nearly 3-times the resistance of a 35 gauge wire and that effectively drops your amperage output by nearly triple. so it's no wonder people will say it takes 12 hours to get a full charge with one cable, while someone else will say it only took them 4 hours.

the ipad cable is fine. you need to use the big wall wart charger that comes with it, not the mini-travel charger that comes with the iphone.
    04-16-2013 10:10 AM
    Thanks for the info guys. I usually do not see such specs when searching for USB charging cables. It only usually lists what phone it's compatible with. Can somebody link me to a specific example of a USB cable that is adequate for a 2a charger? Retractable is ideal, but I doubt this cable would exist in a retractable form. I don't know how you guys are charging your phones in your car, but I don't like to have wires laying around when I'm driving. Even a coiled cable would suffice, if it exists.
    04-16-2013 12:49 PM
    Thanks for the info guys. I usually do not see such specs when searching for USB charging cables. It only usually lists what phone it's compatible with. Can somebody link me to a specific example of a USB cable that is adequate for a 2a charger? Retractable is ideal, but I doubt this cable would exist in a retractable form. I don't know how you guys are charging your phones in your car, but I don't like to have wires laying around when I'm driving. Even a coiled cable would suffice, if it exists.
    Coiled cable is the way to go for the car. This is what I got:

Amazon.com: Mediabridge High Speed USB 2.0 - (Coiled) - A-Male to Micro-B Cable: Computers & Accessories

I have it paired with the Amazon Basics dual port 2.1 amp car charger.
    04-16-2013 12:58 PM