04-22-2013 09:21 AM
34 12
tools
    What exactly do they add to the phone that makes them worth paying for ? What are the best ones and what makes them the best ?
    04-16-2013 06:55 PM
    They allow you to customize your locksceen. They allow you to place different types of widgets and app shortcuts on your lockscreen . I used Widget Locker because I didn't like the weather widget that came with the stock Samsung lockscreen. The weather widget for the Samsung lockscreen would have issues updating the city if I traveled from one city to another. I used Widget Locker so I could use another weather widget. I'm not using Widget Locker at the moment because I'm no longer using a lockscreen.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk
    04-16-2013 11:00 PM
    They allow you to customize your locksceen. They allow you to place different types of widgets and app shortcuts on your lockscreen . I used Widget Locker because I didn't like the weather widget that came with the stock Samsung lockscreen. The weather widget for the Samsung lockscreen would have issues updating the city if I traveled from one city to another. I used Widget Locker so I could use another weather widget. I'm not using Widget Locker at the moment because I'm no longer using a lockscreen.

We have 5 icons on the lock screen as it is stock. You're saying they're not changeable?
    I'd like to see a screenshot of someone's phone that's using widget locker.
    04-16-2013 11:41 PM
    Here ya go. I dont have many good widgets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    04-17-2013 01:03 AM
    I don't use a lockscreen. I know why some people do, but I'm not sure why more people don't.
    04-17-2013 06:08 AM
    I don't use a lockscreen. I know why some people do, but I'm not sure why more people don't.
    I don't understand what you mean when you say I don't use a lockscreen.
    nancybout likes this.
    04-17-2013 06:12 AM
    I don't either.. No luck screen? My guess is he is using a launcher...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    04-17-2013 06:21 AM
    Lock screen apps just makes your Lockscreen customisable, fashionable, elegant, and useful by removing and placing several widgets acc. to need.
    Many users doesn't need, or like such apps but that doesn't means that it is useless.
    I love widget locker due to its simplicity, its just clock and slider in my phone and i hate using same locker for days.
    But it does consume Ram and is on list of startup. So low end users should avoid these pansies...
    fratermus likes this.
    04-17-2013 06:32 AM
    Here is mine with widget locker
    What are the benefits of lockscreen apps?-uploadfromtaptalk1366199990739.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    herecomesmaggi likes this.
    04-17-2013 07:00 AM
    So whatever widgets/apps are on the lockscreen are accessible by doing what?

Sent thru cyberspace by my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    04-17-2013 07:22 AM
    We have 5 icons on the lock screen as it is stock. You're saying they're not changeable?
    Widget Locker lockscreen with notifications:

04-17-2013 07:33 AM
    The icons on the stock lockscreen can be modified, but you're only limited to 5. With Widget Locker, I was able to have more than 5 as well as being able to place them anywhere on the screen.
    I also had it setup so that I could just tap the camera icon to open my camera app, rather than having to swipe up.

04-17-2013 07:42 AM
    I don't understand what you mean when you say I don't use a lockscreen.
    I don't understand what you mean when you say I don't understand what you mean when you say I don't use a lockscreen.

Settings > Lock screen > Screen lock > None?

That means when I wake the N2 up by hitting the home or lock button, I go right to the home screen, and don't have to deal with a lock screen.

Or am I missing something entirely here?
    androidluvr2 and fratermus like this.
    04-17-2013 10:03 AM
    You can set a phone to not have a lock screen by going through settings. Third party lock screen apps like widget locker and go locker change the appearance and functionality of your lockscreen. I would not recommend go locker as most go products run slow and laggy and push adds to your notification bar. Widget locker allows you to fully customize your lockscreen to anything you would like. You can add widgets, change the style of how you unlock ie. Swipe up, down, slide a bar, pull a ring, etc., change transition effects, etc. If you check out mycolorscreen you will see quite a few examples of what people can do with widget locker.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
    04-17-2013 12:46 PM
    I guess the reason more people don't use a lockscreen, then, is because they don't know they can simply turn it off.
    04-17-2013 02:57 PM
    I guess the reason more people don't use a lockscreen, then, is because they don't know they can simply turn it off.
    That, and sometimes it is quite easy to hit a button in your pocket and turn your screen on, depending on the screen off time it could drain your battery. I turned my lock screen off while using a themed launcher and found at times the launcher would take a second to catch up when the lock screen was disabled. A slight stutter. That could have been the launcher I used, though, as I have not been able to recreate the issue without a launcher and I have yet to try with a different launcher.

04-17-2013 03:52 PM
    What about security? Ever forget your phone anywhere? Have a friend walk by and pick it up off the table?

I haven't lost my phone, but I really don't want any of my data in the hands of someone else. With what smartphones now hold in terms of data, they are a gold mine for thieves.
    04-17-2013 05:48 PM
    What about security? Ever forget your phone anywhere? Have a friend walk by and pick it up off the table?

I haven't lost my phone, but I really don't want any of my data in the hands of someone else. With what smartphones now hold in terms of data, they are a gold mine for thieves.
    My husband uses the pin option for that reason. He has to wear pts every morning and they don't have pockets. The Joes he works with have no problem picking up your phone and going through it and or playing on it without permission.

04-17-2013 05:59 PM
    I have a good size credit burning a hole in my pocket in the play store and was about to purchase widget locker but then I read the reviews from people owning an N2. It seems that while using the app just pushing the home button will unlock the phone which pretty much negates having the lock in the first place IMO. I keep my phone in my front pocket and with the activities I enjoy the odds of accidentally pushing that button are pretty high.

04-17-2013 06:42 PM
    There's actually an option in Widget Locker to negate that. You have to set the home option so that it knows what to do when you press the home button.
    fratermus likes this.
    04-17-2013 07:17 PM
    There's actually an option in Widget Locker to negate that. You have to set the home option so that it knows what to do when you press the home button.
    I've only paid for a few apps since becoming an android user and feel that if I'm going to pay $3 for an app of this type it better be flawless. ok maybe not flawless , but darn close to it. I feel that $3 is a little expensive for an app like this.
    04-17-2013 08:30 PM
    I've only paid for a few apps since becoming an android user and feel that if I'm going to pay $3 for an app of this type it better be flawless. ok maybe not flawless , but darn close to it. I feel that $3 is a little expensive for an app like this.
    What do you mean flawless? While people have their own price points for what they purchase, I don't want other users getting the wrong idea. There is no bug with the home button. Only a setting that needs to be set.
    04-17-2013 09:09 PM
    What do you mean flawless? While people have their own price points for what they purchase, I don't want other users getting the wrong idea. There is no bug with the home button. Only a setting that needs to be set.
    Ok, I should have refrained from using the word flawless. But it does have to be pretty darn good to warrant the price tag. Over the last six months or more the only thing that I've come across that is actually flawless is my note2. I'm sure there are plenty of people that that would have to agree.

04-17-2013 10:04 PM

No, I've never forgot my phone anywhere, and I've never had a friend or anyone else walk by and pick it up off the table. I don't roll like that with my phone. And I have had one since it didn't even have a phone, i.e., the BB 950 back in 2001.

As I said, I know why some people use lockscreens -- obviously, security *cough*paranoia*cough* -- but that's not a concern for me for a number of reasons, one of which I mentioned above.

For me, it's vastly more convenient to go through life without a lockscreen.
    04-18-2013 06:02 AM
    No, I've never forgot my phone anywhere, and I've never had a friend or anyone else walk by and pick it up off the table. I don't roll like that with my phone. And I have had one since it didn't even have a phone, i.e., the BB 950 back in 2001.

As I said, I know why some people use lockscreens -- obviously, security *cough*paranoia*cough* -- but that's not a concern for me for a number of reasons, one of which I mentioned above.

For me, it's vastly more convenient to go through life without a lockscreen.
    I'm guessing you leave your house door unlocked and open? Car doors unlocked and open with the key in the ignition?

No? Than let's not be hypocritical with the paranoia comment.
    04-18-2013 03:58 PM
34 12