After 2 resets Media still killing battery-uploadfromtaptalk1366723424674.jpg
    After 2 resets Media still killing battery-uploadfromtaptalk1366723445700.jpg

I started having issues with my phone the other day. Battery life was getting killed. The Media process is running constantly, not allowing the phone to sleep. Finally last night I did a full reset and set everything back up. The problem persisted, so I started deleting apps. I even disabled media. No matter what i did, media kept running, even after disabling it, it would start nack up. I reset again this morming as a new device. I did not install any apps, yet the problem is still there. I think there must be a hardware issue.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    04-23-2013 08:29 AM
    This problem comes up semi-regularly for various users. But I've never heard a definitive explanation.

The best explanation I've heard came from Jerry on one of the recent podcasts. He said that the problem is with one (or more) of your media files (music, videos, etc). Android media scanner normally scans everything and then stops, but if there's a problem with one or more media files it will scan it but not realize that it's reached the end and keep scanning.

If this is the case, I'd recommend removing all your local media then the problem should stop. Then you can add files back one at a time (or a few at a time). Maybe add 1 group of files every other day, and see if/when the problem comes back. (Since you've backed up your files, done a full reset, and it's come back ... I think it's safe to say when that it will come back again.) Hopefully you'll be able to isolate the bad file(s).

I know this is a tedious process, but it's my only suggestion.

It would be awesome if someone made a media checker app to resolve this.
    jneusch likes this.
    04-23-2013 08:55 AM
    After posting a light bulb came on, then I read your post. I removed the SD card and the problem stopped. I did another reset just to be sure and it did not repeat itself. I inserted the SD card into my computer and tried to copy the files to a folder and got an error on one of the music files. That is obviously the issue and can now be easily resolved with a format of the SD card. Thanks for confirming my light bulb moment!
    maxburn likes this.
    04-23-2013 09:00 AM
    nice workout guys.
    04-23-2013 10:10 AM
    Careful! Sometimes a file error can be caused by an SD Card error, and THAT'S what's killing your battery with the media scan; try to spot if your card mounts/unmounts itself for no reason. If this is the case, every time it re-mounts, Media Scanner goes into action. I've posted this several times and I'll say it again: There is a VERY WELL KNOWN bug with SanDisk SD Cards manufactured prior to December 2012 (especially 32GB ones) and the newer Sammy phones; for some the error is minor and data can be recovered in a computer, but for some others, actual, physical damage to the card occurs and the data is lost forever.
    jean15paul and jneusch like this.
    04-23-2013 01:47 PM
    Careful! Sometimes a file error can be caused by an SD Card error, and THAT'S what's killing your battery with the media scan; try to spot if your card mounts/unmounts itself for no reason. If this is the case, every time it re-mounts, Media Scanner goes into action. I've posted this several times and I'll say it again: There is a VERY WELL KNOWN bug with SanDisk SD Cards manufactured prior to December 2012 (especially 32GB ones) and the newer Sammy phones; for some the error is minor and data can be recovered in a computer, but for some others, actual, physical damage to the card occurs and the data is lost forever.
    There was an error on the card, however the card was not unmounting and remounting on its own. I had a Sandisk card and replaced it with a PNY a while back. After removing the card and reseting one more time for safety's sake, I ran the phone for a while without installing anything, including the card. It worked great. I then reinstalled the apps with no problems. Finally, I installed the card and reformatted it, I then reinstalled the music that was on the card. I have my photos upload via Dropbox, so I didn't lose anything other than game data and a bunch of time I will never get back.
    04-24-2013 07:59 PM
    My Sprint Note 2 started doing the same thing yesterday, a day after I downloaded a couple of albums. I am used to getting a drain rate at around 4%-7% per hour: now my phone drains down to 50% in a little more than 4 hours! What, is this my old un-updated Palm Pre?!

This forum is GREAT!! I knew I could find the answer/solution somewhere in here. I plan to download all my media off my apparently defective SanDisk 32gb card and buy another brand. Tthanks!
    05-15-2013 11:20 AM
    It will be the memory card. Remove it and see if it's any better.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-16-2013 01:04 PM
    It was definitely the SanDisk 32gb card. This issue is also discussed over at xda forums. I removed the card and was able to save all data to me computer.. Battery life back to being 4-5% per hour, even with 4 hours of screen time. I have ordered a Samsung 32gb card and presume I will not have this problem again.
    05-20-2013 12:14 AM
    Received my Samsung 32gb card, installed and formatted it. Absolutely no problems! Pity that I had to buy TWO SD cards! Guess I'll give the other one to my wife for her HTC.... Whoops! I forgot! Maybe I'll put it in my Motorola Photon once Moto honors its repeatedly-stated promise to update my Photon to Ice Cream Sandwich... Crap! Forgot about that too!!
    05-27-2013 02:01 PM
    Why is everyone getting 32gb cards? If there is a know issue specifically with 32gb cards and the phone does work with 64gb cards that can be had for just a few dollars more why not just get that one? Ive had my 64 for near 6 months in my note 2 and dont have a single battery problem. Its a sandisk 64gb uhs-1 class 10. I think I payed $47 for it on amazon.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk
    05-29-2013 12:16 AM