google Play Store just auto updated all my apps on its own WTF

sillyrabbitt123

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Play Store just auto updated all my apps on its own WTF. anyone have this problem? i like to update my apps when i want to
i have it set to not auto update and to do it on wifi only. my phone just updated every app on wifi or 4g it didnt matter.

how the hell do i prevent this and is there anyway to go back to non updated apps if i didnt back up the previous versions to estrongs or the like?

pissed off. called Verizon they are dumber then stumps!

thanks

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
In the play store app, check Settings / Auto Update apps. Your options are Do not, At any time, Only on WiFi.

In the new Play Store app, when you download an app, it usually prompts and asks if you want to auto update. If you accidentally hit OK, that may change the setting for all apps.

sillyrabbitt123

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
In the play store app, check Settings / Auto Update apps. Your options are Do not, At any time, Only on WiFi.

In the new Play Store app, when you download an app, it usually prompts and asks if you want to auto update. If you accidentally hit OK, that may change the setting for all apps.

i know i set it to DO NOT update and it hasnt updated my apps in a long long time. Now ALL OF A SUDDEN on its own it updated like 40 apps. I didnt tell it to. I stopped it in the middle and turned off WIFI [which its set to ONLY do it on wifi] but it kept updating even on 4g when its set not too.

thanks

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Did your playstore gets the playstore update? The original setting might not have carried over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

sillyrabbitt123

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
i think it did get an update. that stinks if it doesnt carry over. anyway to prevent that? Bug? Done on purpose so you update and the apps get more invasive? thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's a bug or it was on purpose, but the last two market Play updates have all changed that very setting to "auto update" as the default option. In any case, that's why it happened.

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Happened to me too. I went in tonight and selected each app and unchecked the auto update box. I just hope the next update to Play does not default it back on.

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I have the latest google play store 4.0.27, and had already went into its settings to tell it not to auto update any apps, so when I saw there was an update to Twitter I hit on Update, the next message I got was an option to click on Auto Update ALL apps or NOT NOW, so I selected the auto update because I thought that if I selected NOT NOW then the update to Twitter wouldn't have taken place.

After Twitter had been updated I went into the Google Play Store settings to check for the Auto Update settings, and the setting had changed to be selected for to Auto Update, so I have now changed this back to not auto update, so I will be intrigued to find out what would happen if I had selected NOT NOW prior to the Twitter update. And surely we shouldn't have to keep changing the setting back every-time there is an update to an app.

Mines is a Samsung Galaxy Ace II

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Another setting the couple of past updates keep changing is the "Auto add shortcut to home screen" setting... so check that, too.

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

The new play store app 4.0.27 does indeed do that, and like me you need to go back into the settings and change it back to what it was previously.

I wonder if the prompt will occur every-time there is an update? I did try the chat-on update later, and didn't receive the same prompt as I did with the Twitter one.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Has to be a bug as I've always had auto updating disabled (in the Play Store app) and it's always stuck through every Play Store update on every Android device I have. My biggest complaint however is that you can't disable these automatic silent Google Play updates. IMO, this latest one sucks! Too much white, the spacing under "My Apps" is too large and it stutters alot now when scrolling in the main part of Google Play. :(

wryonion

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I actually ran into this issue with my tablet, an asus transformer.

Not only is this annoying, I have a big problem with it from an ehtical standpoint because when it changed all the updates to auto and began downloading, it also automatically agreed to all permission changes. For example, some apps now have permission to record video and take photos with my camera without notification, even though I did not actually agree to anything. Considering some of the apps this includes are "preinstalled google apps" such as youtube, I cannot even uninstall the apps.

That's pretty messed up that they can agree to terms/permissions FOR ME, and I only found out when I checked the tablet's settings folder. (the reason I did not manually update some apps before was becuase I did not want to agree with the permission changes. So I checked after I saw there were downloads in progress. I managed to stop the pending downloads before they actually updated, but the permissions already changed.)

I did contact the google play store support, and they haven't been much help.....yet.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I actually ran into this issue with my tablet, an asus transformer.

Not only is this annoying, I have a big problem with it from an ehtical standpoint because when it changed all the updates to auto and began downloading, it also automatically agreed to all permission changes. For example, some apps now have permission to record video and take photos with my camera without notification, even though I did not actually agree to anything. Considering some of the apps this includes are "preinstalled google apps" such as youtube, I cannot even uninstall the apps.

That's pretty messed up that they can agree to terms/permissions FOR ME, and I only found out when I checked the tablet's settings folder. (the reason I did not manually update some apps before was becuase I did not want to agree with the permission changes. So I checked after I saw there were downloads in progress. I managed to stop the pending downloads before they actually updated, but the permissions already changed.)

I did contact the google play store support, and they haven't been much help.....yet.

I'm the same way with not updating some apps due to either permissions or poor reviews on the updates. I don't update just because there's an update. I need a justifiable reason to do so. As to those apps that updated against your wishes, you may be able to uninstall the last update. Go to your Application Manager (usually via Settings, Applications or Application Manager), find the app (may have to swipe all the way to the right to "All"), click on it and look for the option "Uninstall updates" (not all apps have that feature/function though) and click on it to uninstall the last update. Also with ICS and Jelly Bean, you can disable most apps so they don't run, show up in the App drawer or are listed under "My Apps" in Google Play. :)

wryonion

May 11, 2013
Visit site
This is true, and I did uninstall some of the updates. However, doing so does not change the permissions back. And more than anything, its also about the principle for me. I don't care that an app requires a specific permission because I have the choice to agree/install or disagree/use something else. But in this case, that choice was taken away.

Having to agree in order to install serves two main purposes: it notifies the user so he/she can make an informed decision, and it can provide 'consent' to protect the company for lawsuits. In a way, clicking agree is like signing an agreement. In this case, google play basically signed my name, approved update permissions, and failed to notify me that these events occured. If I didn't intentially decline some update installations before, I wouldn't have know anything had changed (regarding permissions).

That crap just annoys me. And trying to ask the Goog about it just gets explanation of how to turn off auto-updates, "you must have done something" or "must be something wrong with app. Contact its creator."

Pardon the rant..

PROstrength

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The App Store has managed to auto update my settings 3 times in the last month. I always set my app store settings to do not auto update! Yet somehow over the last few weeks I have awakened to find that the App Store auto updating all of my apps!
I NEVER repeat NEVER set to auto update ANYTHING ON ANY DEVICE. Not phones,tablets, or pc's of any kind.
Iss this a virus - I have a virus checker installed - or does the App Store change settings after you manually update an app, or perhaps when you turn your phone off completely I need a reboot? Something is definitely going on here to force apps to auto update through the App Store. I am almost OCD about maintaining all of my devices and their settings to not auto update for any reason. This IS a major problem I have, notwithstanding all of the APP invasions of privacy.
Another possibility is that a lot demand access to personal settings and can therefore go in and manipulate your device with out your knowledge beyond all the fine print and legal speak that you accepted when downloading from the App Store.
Does anyone know of a way to strip downloaded apps of their ability to manipulate and gain access to phone settings without rooting the phone?
Excuse the potential typos or incorrect words here and there , I am using voice control rather than typing.

PureEnergy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This was annoying as in used half my data before I even noticed it had changed I can't even remember updating the play store I'm just glad I managed to stop it

Black Spurr

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It isn't just a new default. I turned off auto update five times before I let it just finish. Is not responding to being turned off.
No place to review the play store in play store.

tbessie

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me just now (on my Galaxy Nexus). Never happened before. It didn't even happen automatically after the last Google Play Store update, but several days later (from what I can tell).

I checked, and the update settings had changed without my changing them, as people have mentioned.

I only had one app I hadn't updated recently, which was Skype (because EVERYONE says the latest several updates of Skype have sucked mightily), so I'm REALLY annoyed that Google reset my update settings without notice.

Grr.

- Tim

Doom4life

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed the new Play Store update today (haven't been on in a few weeks). First option that pops up was to:
a.) Do not Update;
b.) Update over WiFi and Network; or
c.) Update over WiFi only

So I selected WiFi only and after a restart it started downloading and installing all the updates (40+). Well, I had to leave and I checked my phone and even though I was no longer on WiFi, it was still downloading updates!

I did a force stop and cleared the cache but once the Play Store started up again it started automatically downloading (over the network). I then changed the setting to not automatically update and did a force start and cleared the cache. It still automatically started downloading. I rechecked the settings and it is still set to not auto-update!

The only solution which worked was to uninstall the new version. I do have screen caps of the settings and the update downloading. How can this be fixed?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma