Any way to reverse home button long press and double press functionality?

Continuum88

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't know who was hating whom when designing this feature, but... is there any way to reverse the functionality of long-press and double-press of the Home button? Namely, it's just the opposite of what its iPhone/iPad counterpart does:
- double press: latest apps on iOS, voice on Note2
- long press: Siri (voice) on iOS, latest apps etc. on Note2

It's kind of like when you encounter a faucet with reverse hot/cold water alignment...

ghostkilla1388

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Not sure with out root, but this woupd be nice for people how have there Nore 2 as personal phones and iphone/ipad for work.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The fact that iDevices do it one way doesn't mean it's wrong the other way... just sayin' hehe

That being stated upfront, you can't... not without root. I CAN see why you'd need that, and apparently some dude loaded a ROM with that very tweak (just don't remember where I saw it but I'm sure it was fairly recently).

Continuum88

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The fact that iDevices do it one way doesn't mean it's wrong the other way... just sayin' hehe
I never said either way was wrong. Just like I don't care whether hot water is on the left and cold on the right, or vice versa (maybe not such a good example as this is actually standardized). Just want it to be the same -- and since Android is easier to tweak, well... :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
In this case, the tweak would require root... You can also do the same with an app (I can't recall, again, which one, but I used it on my old iPhone) if you Jailbreak your iDevice; it lets you specify what to do with several press sequences of the iButton.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't know who was hating whom when designing this feature, but... is there any way to reverse the functionality of long-press and double-press of the Home button? Namely, it's just the opposite of what its iPhone/iPad counterpart does:
- double press: latest apps on iOS, voice on Note2
- long press: Siri (voice) on iOS, latest apps etc. on Note2

It's kind of like when you encounter a faucet with reverse hot/cold water alignment...

I know it suck but everytime anyone does anything remotely close to the same way Apple does it they get sued.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Continuum88

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I know it suck but everytime anyone does anything remotely close to the same way Apple does it they get sued.
I don't even want to start listing similarities (some of which are probably much more obvious and mission-critical than that little button behavior) between the two when it comes to the operating systems and desktop applications; but the button behavior is something they should just sit down and discuss "standards" (the same way as computer mouse behaves on various clicks). Oh well, we're probably not gonna change that, plus there won't be any home button in two years (or sooner) anymore. I guess the two-second tap'n'hold on a glassy surface will become the main prosecution topic then -- I wonder how sci-fi creators will react. :)

Continuum88

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
In this case, the tweak would require root... You can also do the same with an app (I can't recall, again, which one, but I used it on my old iPhone) if you Jailbreak your iDevice; it lets you specify what to do with several press sequences of the iButton.
I have root, no problem with that. Are you talking about an app for iOS, or is there one for Android as well?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have root, no problem with that. Are you talking about an app for iOS, or is there one for Android as well?
The app I used was for iOS. Since my daily driver is my Android, I never 'needed' to change that in my handset, but I do recall using that for my iPod when I couldn't conceive just having a single button to do everything when (back then) I was used to having four :p hehe Also, I liked the 'double button tap to bring up controls' thing...

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I think you should write Apple and have them change theirs

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Android Central Forums

Uristocles

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I use Nova Launcher to handle this (I prefer single press actually). I'd imagine various launchers can handle this without needing to root.

(For me this is a no-brainer as far as UI design goes. Add insult to injury because the default to get to recent apps is such a long long-press.)