Wifi turning ON automatically

deep_s3

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes when i turn off my wifi it is turning ON automatically. Tried checking all the settings. I have noticed that it only happens when i am in range of a trusted and saved network. I have unchecked both options under advanced menu to check for open network and look for wifi when connected to AP. Please suggest how can we fix this.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd check newly installed apps... I once installed an app that kept turning WiFi on for location services (the dev was notified and quickly fixed the bug, but in the meantime that was the culprit).

If in doubt, 'freeze' the newest installed apps and see if that helps. (Settings--App Manager--ALL--Select App--Deactivate).

You could also check your location settings, maybe that's what's turning the WiFi on and off.

deep_s3

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Is there a smart way to understand which application is turning it ON? Any logging that i can enable to isolate this issue?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You might try an app/battery monitor, but I'm not sure they can actually tell you which one triggers the WiFi toggle... I do, however, believe that under developer settings there was an option to ask you before an app attempts to do something (however, I may be wrong and this was only to request your permission to access the SD Card).

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
also look in you recent apps immediately after your wifi turns on and if you did not open an app that is open that will be your culprit. I had the same issue with pop up ads after I downloaded a n64 emulator

necorbin

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Are you by any chance on Sprint? That sounds like what their Connection Optimizer does.... If so, look for it in the settings, and uncheck it.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It is most likely a carrier customization. Some carriers won't even let you turn off WiFi at all. They want you to get off their 4G network as much as possible to preserve bandwidth. If you are able to turn off WiFi, then I would look for any carrier installed app (look under application manger ALL tab) and start disabling app with names like Smart Wifi or Smart Connect or anything that looks suspicious.

deep_s3

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Cant find any such application.. And not using any carrier specific phone...

It is most likely a carrier customization. Some carriers won't even let you turn off WiFi at all. They want you to get off their 4G network as much as possible to preserve bandwidth. If you are able to turn off WiFi, then I would look for any carrier installed app (look under application manger ALL tab) and start disabling app with names like Smart Wifi or Smart Connect or anything that looks suspicious.

Vineeth Mohan

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am also facing this problem now. And yes, I also feel this might be because of some newly installed app. I am uninstalling some of them and check if thats the reason as I have not had this problem till now.

sonyjohn

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a sony xperia that also preferentially switches it's own wifi on. It gets tedious as this drops the hotspot & I have an unlimited data plan with 3 which works great, whereas the university's wifi does not. It's a handy feature if you have limited data usage but not in this case.

Setting -> Power management -> Location based Wifi (Wi-Fi activated automatically when in range of a saved Wi-Fi network) -> [Off]

Jeanalyn

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes when i turn off my wifi it is turning ON automatically. Tried checking all the settings. I have noticed that it only happens when i am in range of a trusted and saved network. I have unchecked both options under advanced menu to check for open network and look for wifi when connected to AP. Please suggest how can we fix this.

Eko Fristiawanto

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys, I am happy to share my happiness, I found the solution from Wi-Fi automatically turn on. I've tried changing settings under (Location settings - improve accuracy - uncheck both of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi scanning). It seems that works for me.

Eko Fristiawanto

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I found the solution :)

Hey guys, I am happy to share my happiness, I found the solution from Wi-Fi automatically turn on. I've tried changing settings under (Location settings - improve accuracy - uncheck both of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi scanning). It seems that works for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463