Those two S4 features from the ad...

Continuum88

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Two features in the S4 ad caught my attention, and I was wondering if they can be achieved on a Note 2 as well:
-answering incoming call by waving over the phone
-opening an app (or notification?) by hovering a finger over it

tdkirk7

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
No. Both of those things require certain hardware. I know the Note 2 doesn't have an IR sensor to sense motion so waving over it could never work on it and the Air View on the Note 2 can only be done via an SPen. Like your avatar by the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Continuum88

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
OK. They use IR sensor for that? I suppose proximity sensor could be used with some hack, but then again, I don't know how sensitive it can get.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Erm, surely it uses the same technology as Smart Alert!? I think it's less about hardware and more about software as the Note 2 can already detect things like your hand placed over the screen or whether you're looking at the display or not.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I use an app called Wave Control (I have the pro version) and it allow for you to use the proximity sensor to answer calls and control music. It works well for me. As for Air View, it should be able to ported over as it also uses the front facing camera to see the gesture being performed so I'm someone will get to it just like Smart Pause and Smart Scroll.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
No. Both of those things require certain hardware. I know the Note 2 doesn't have an IR sensor to sense motion so waving over it could never work on it and the Air View on the Note 2 can only be done via an SPen. Like your avatar by the way.
I don't think the S4 uses IR for that stuff. The Note 2 allows you to wave over it when the screen is off to see message, call status & other statuses so it does have a similar capability. That could be enabled by either the cameras sensor or a proximity sensor. When the bathing suit cutie hovered her finger over the screen and sees the text message that seems to be a result of a proximity sensor.

Ridin' a Note 2 blast

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I think this stuff is coming in the 4.2 update. The IR had nothing to do with these features. IR is for the IR blaster and other remote control features.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So how about the photo feature where it takes three or four of someone in the frame like that guy diving?

Sent from my Samung "Brick"

zjaksn10

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if our phone has the capabilities for the front and back camera video recording at the same time. Waiting for some 4.2 touchwiz roms to start showing up.

drew_p

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that the air view on the S4 is due to it using a different kind of screen that can sense your finger hovering. But I may be wrong. I'll look for the article or YouTube video where I saw it and try to post it asap.

No I'm not happy to see you.....it's just a Note 2 in my pocket.

Last edited:

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
It does have a super sensitive screen like the lumia 920. That could be it too. I could use the Lumia with on oven mitt on. It was pretty awesome. Too bad it had so many firmware issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the S4 uses IR for that stuff. The Note 2 allows you to wave over it when the screen is off to see message, call status & other statuses so it does have a similar capability. That could be enabled by either the cameras sensor or a proximity sensor. When the bathing suit cutie hovered her finger over the screen and sees the text message that seems to be a result of a proximity sensor.

Ridin' a Note 2 blast

Yeah it does. Proximity sensors don't detect movement or gestures, they only do what the name implies, detect an object in proximity of the sensor (usually meant to detect the side of your head) that's it.

There may be some ugly hacks at this as mentioned before but we won't see these gestures standard on the note 2, especially air view with your finger

Sent from my Note 2

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Right guys samsung posted an info graphic on the S4 to show what features it has and how they work. The Air view feature is used by an infared sensor that senses the fingers when its close to the screen, the swipe features for like changing picture with your hand and that uses the camera, just like smart stay and smart pause.

For the S3 and the Note 2 they wont get the air view feature but could possibly get that swiping feature

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Shaun Coleman

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Waving most definetly could work. I already use the feature to wake my Note II by simply waving over the phone which turns on the screen with notifications!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781