Slow Charging and Super Fast Battery Drain Note 2

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys! It's been a long long time since I've visited, coz I was in a euphoric stage with the Note 2 we all love. But now, as the title says, I am having a problem. I noticed it after I updated to the latest... well... update. I don't look at it. I just tap ok ok ok. (Stupid, I know. Sorry) but there.

At first, I updated the phone, then updated my fave game Townsmen. Played townsmen for a couple of hours or so, then power is 15%. Plugged the charger.
I did leave it alone for like, 3 hours, and it was 75%ish charge. I think this might have caused it but I played while plugged. I also was using 4G to browse. I feel so stupid now. But is there any way to fix this?
I've done this sort of thing before the 4.1.2.

So the case now is: 13hours to fully charge while phone is off from 0% battery.

1% discharge rate PER minute using 2G data connection while twittering.

Please help me. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Mamaluka

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Please don't tell me you can't use this phone while it's plugged in. You've gotta be effing kidding me. Right?

Haucore

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
On occasion I check settings->battery while I charge to see if it's charging "AC" or "USB". For some reason while using the stock charger it goes into USB charge. A simple unplug and replug fixes this. Obviously AC charges faster so check to see what state it's in next time you charge.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

Manipur

May 6, 2013
Visit site
If you are rooted, you can go to recovery and wipe battery cache. Download better battery stats from playstore and calibrate your battery.
Download system tuner pro and disable all the unnecessary apps at startup.
Also there is a program called SD maid. The pro version can really help you in solving some of your problems.

Or maybe you need to change your charging cable.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Also be aware that the latest update 'breaks' the awesome battery life the Note 2 used to have... I mean, it's not terrible, but it's not stellar as it once was. Before the update + Exynos patch I used to literally try to kill the battery before bedtime; after it, I struggle to get to the end of the day without having to quickcharge my battery for just a little bit longer.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
By chance are you using any charger or cord other than the official ones that came with phone? Also, go into the battery manager app in setting and post a screenshot.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Also be aware that the latest update 'breaks' the awesome battery life the Note 2 used to have... I mean, it's not terrible, but it's not stellar as it once was. Before the update + Exynos patch I used to literally try to kill the battery before bedtime; after it, I struggle to get to the end of the day without having to quickcharge my battery for just a little bit longer.

I've hears this but on my Verizon Note II the latest update has actually improved it slightly. Or at least the same. I just know it hasn't gotten worse.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What 'broke' it was the 4.1.2 update... if you were already on that version, your battery life probably wasn't affected that much (but you missed out on the out-of-this-world battery life we used to have before the update).

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
What 'broke' it was the 4.1.2 update... if you were already on that version, your battery life probably wasn't affected that much (but you missed out on the out-of-this-world battery life we used to have before the update).

I have had my Note II since January and just received the 4.1.2 a week or so ago.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Huggie87

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I am also noticing the slow charging as well. I will try a factory reset to see if it helps any

Edit: I checked to see if it was charging usb or ac n it was usb so now it is charging normally

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I havent. I'm trying to figure out how to back up my game data. Some of them doesnt have the option to.

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, I know we can. But since this happened to me. I am not sure anymore.

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are rooted, you can go to recovery and wipe battery cache. Download better battery stats from playstore and calibrate your battery.
Download system tuner pro and disable all the unnecessary apps at startup.
Also there is a program called SD maid. The pro version can really help you in solving some of your problems.

Or maybe you need to change your charging cable.

Is there any way to do that without rooting the phone?

I figured. Used to browse and play for 8 hours straight, and still get about 30-26% charge. Now, 4 hours tops.

By chance are you using any charger or cord other than the official ones that came with phone? Also, go into the battery manager app in setting and post a screenshot.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

I'm using the charger and cable that came with it.
I'll try to post screenies.

I soooo agree on this.

I am also noticing the slow charging as well. I will try a factory reset to see if it helps any

Edit: I checked to see if it was charging usb or ac n it was usb so now it is charging normally

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Will try this too.

Thanks for all the responses ladies and gents.
Hopelfully we all figure this one out. :)

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Here the screenies.

uploadfromtaptalk1368392329674.jpg
First screenshot is right after I charged for 14 hours straight. It was from a fully discharged phone.

uploadfromtaptalk1368392424672.jpg
Then, after about 5 hours of letting it sit for sometime with no activity, just 1 percent power loss.
Then, then from there I played townsmen, and did some tweeting with friends, power was down to 50%.
Like seriously. Less than 3 hours of abuse. Half of the life is gone. You think I need to do a factory reset?

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
On occasion I check settings->battery while I charge to see if it's charging "AC" or "USB". For some reason while using the stock charger it goes into USB charge. A simple unplug and replug fixes this. Obviously AC charges faster so check to see what state it's in next time you charge.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

Interesting didn't think of that.
Ive been having the slow charge issue as well. I came across app that gives current info
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...laxychargingcurrent.free&hl=en&token=w5RUEtlO

Using app Im finding GN2 current input to be a total mess.
When I plug into charger Im getting different current values all the time - 450 , 900 . 1000. 1200 , 1500 , 1800.
I'm really beginning to think its a device hardware defect. Those having issue aren't experiencing until around 4 months of use.

I can rule out charging block , USB cable , Battery & charging port ribbon being the cause.
All have been replaced and still having slow charge issue at times

Last edited:

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
hehe I disabled USB debugging in developer options.
That should do away with slow charge.....At least I'm finding it to work.
Ive plugged into charger a dozen times in the last hour getting 1800 ever time

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Using app Im finding GN2 current input to be a total mess.
When I plug into charger Im getting different current values all the time - 450 , 900 . 1000. 1200 , 1500 , 1800.
I'm really beginning to think its a device hardware defect. Those having issue aren't experiencing until around 4 months of use.

I can rule out charging block , USB cable , Battery & charging port ribbon being the cause.
All have been replaced and still having slow charge issue at times

Hmmm. I had problems around the 4th and 5th month. And my carrier does not want to replace it because they said its my fault. But I know I was very careful in using the phone. I even bought a seperate bag for it. So I know I took care of it.
Maybe I should sue my Carrier.

hehe I disabled USB debugging in developer options.
That should do away with slow charge.....At least I'm finding it to work.
Ive plugged into charger a dozen times in the last hour getting 1800 ever time

My developer options was never on.
I mean the debugging thingy. I never turned it on.
But dang. It just got worse. Now my phone won't hold a charge for more than 4 hours of gameplay. I hate it.

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I used the Galaxy Charging app and found out that the current was only at 400 tops. Then a crazy idea went into my mind. I used the BlackBerry USB Cable. And Voila. It's soo much better co it became 1000. I don't know but... I'm now havimg doubts about Samsung. The hard ware is very cheap. I mean. My BlackBerry USB Cable is like 5 years old, and the samsung one is less than a year.
And anyone knows how I can make my carrier replace my handset? I still like Samsung GN2. But I want them to replace it with a new one.

jalalinator

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I used the Galaxy Charging app and found out that the current was only at 400 tops. Then a crazy idea went into my mind. I used the BlackBerry USB Cable. And Voila. It's soo much better co it became 1000. I don't know but... I'm now havimg doubts about Samsung. The hard ware is very cheap. I mean. My BlackBerry USB Cable is like 5 years old, and the samsung one is less than a year.
And anyone knows how I can make my carrier replace my handset? I still like Samsung GN2. But I want them to replace it with a new one.

the only reason i signed up was because im having the same issue as everyone with the battery charge taking forever and i tried everything you guys said but the only thing that worked was the blackberry usb cable connected to the samsung wall ac unit. that samsung white cable is a pos

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781