why does advance task killer show many open apps and how to prevent it?

sterandroids

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
note 2 has been praised by many for its beastly battery life, however mine is not living up to it and i feel the reason why is because of the background apps it runs. As of now when i run the task killer there are tons of random apps that i never open that appear there like cut the rope free, mini golf etc.

how do i keep these apps from opening?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Android Central Forums

Manipur

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Go to settings>developer options>limit background processes and select 1 or 2 processes at most. You need to redo it if you restart your phone. Or download start up manager and disable the apps you don't want from start up.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Do not use an app killer or task manager! Samsung has one built in. They do more harm than good. Android's OS is designed to start up apps automatically to check for data, updates, etc. If you keep killing them them Android will restart them, which will have an affect on battery life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Well, what are you defining as "not living up to it" and what is your usage like? Back when I had a Droid Razr Maxx, I still managed barely a full day of use with it, and that was because I was a heavy user, I wanted all my notifications to be on and working, I do GeoCaching, lots of streaming media, etc. So the first step is to be honest about what your usage is currently. Also, rather than look at possibly not active but stored in RAM processes that aren't affecting the battery, or really anything else except for how quickly they can load back up, check your battery usage, and see what is eating up your battery. Also, I am not directly familiar with those 2 apps, but I believe they are both games. If they have things like FB integration, co op, or really any other notifications, then they are going to start up in order to give you that. Another thing to keep in mind, advertised battery life is based on a brand new phone, with no apps installed, etc.

Personally, I bought a smart phone to use it, and to use it fully. However, I also charge it any time I can, and have an external battery pack. I see no purpose in having a phone that can do everything Android and the Note 2 can do, and then shutting things down, limiting things, ect. I think if you do that, then you just have a basic phone in a Smartphone shell, nothing more, IMHO.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Do not use an app killer or task manager! Samsung has one built in. They do more harm than good. Android's OS is designed to start up apps automatically to check for data, updates, etc. If you keep killing them them Android will restart them, which will have an affect on battery life.

This is what I was going to say, you beat me to it. If anyone recommends a task killer to you they are wrong. They should never be used on any device/computer period.

To add to that, android starts various services (called daemons) on startup, that listen for certain input from you. They do this to make it easier to use your phone or to perform certain actions. From above killing them=more restarts=more battery drain.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
note 2 has been praised by many for its beastly battery life, however mine is not living up to it and i feel the reason why is because of the background apps it runs. As of now when i run the task killer there are tons of random apps that i never open that appear there like cut the rope free, mini golf etc.

how do i keep these apps from opening?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Android Central Forums
If you look at the permissions for these apps they have access to all your information so they come on to access it and do whatever else it is they do with it.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Antony Thomas

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I was using the app killer cause I dint know it was bad for the phone. What is the built in app to stop the application, do I force each application? Is it recommended I get a startup manager. I just switched from Iphone to samsung note 2 a week back.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

This. So many corporate stores for phone carriers recommend it and I still can't figure out why these reps still have a job. If you don't know Google said not to use them on Android then you don't know Android and shouldn't be advising customers on it.

Sorry for the short rant.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk Pro

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I was using the app killer cause I dint know it was bad for the phone. What is the built in app to stop the application, do I force each application? Is it recommended I get a startup manager. I just switched from Iphone to samsung note 2 a week back.

The menu button (may have to hold it on the Note) will bring up a screen with all your open apps. Swipe to close.

Task killers tend to use more battery because they tend to close necessary applications that will automatically open back up. Google used words such as "Sometimes using your memory is better then having free memory". Not word for word but that's the idea.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk Pro

kentrol72

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I used to work as a Tech in one of those corporate stores and that was one of my biggest battles. Both with the Reps and customers. No, Task killers are not needed and actually do more harm on your Android phones. What ppl have a hard time understanding is how Android works. Android is designed to have apps running in the background. Like mentioned above in other posts some collect data. But some are tied into the system in some way and only run at .078%, (Fictitious number) but at any rate it takes less power to fully run those apps once they are called up for use than to start them cold. (Think how much gas you waist in your car when starting and stopping the engine)
Also, Android learns which apps you havent used in a while and shuts those down completely on its own unless someting is needed.

I used to keep an article from Google that spoke against using Task killers back in 2011 but here is one that speaks on the matter in better detail than I can deliver:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1966571

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol