Back or home button

sejgiul

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious, I always use the back button to exit apps completely, is it better or does it not make a difference?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the app I believe is the answer to th is question. For example, an app that can continue to run in the background will continue to do so if you quit it by simply pressing the home button. However if using the bank button, normally tapping it twice once to initiate wish to exit once to confirm exit, the app will quit completely and no longer run in the background. This is typical of sat nav apps.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

sugarnova

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the app I believe is the answer to th is question. For example, an app that can continue to run in the background will continue to do so if you quit it by simply pressing the home button. However if using the bank button, normally tapping it twice once to initiate wish to exit once to confirm exit, the app will quit completely and no longer run in the background. This is typical of sat nav apps.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

From my old android days, this is a habit I developed. And by old, I mean 2010. :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
it doesn't make any difference android auto closes apps when it needs memory. I think pressing the back button is the same as pressing home

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
it doesn't make any difference android auto closes apps when it needs memory. I think pressing the back button is the same as pressing home
In some way even apps that you back or home button out of are still resident in memory because you will still see those apps in the list of apps you see when you long press the home key.

Ridin' a Note 2 blast

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
In some way even apps that you back or home button out of are still resident in memory because you will still see those apps in the list of apps you see when you long press the home key.

That isn't true.

Holding the home button brings up the recent apps list. While some apps may be in memory, it doesn't mean they all are. If it's not under Active Applications, the not actively running. Using the back button immediately removes it from Active Applications. Using the home button keeps it under Active Applications. It will eventually remove itself from Active Applications if you need the processing power or memory.

Note, that just being removed from Active Applications doesn't mean it has no procsses running. Apps with notifications for example will have a process running in the background listed in the processes.

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
That isn't true.

Holding the home button brings up the recent apps list. While some apps may be in memory, it doesn't mean they all are. If it's not under Active Applications, the not actively running. Using the back button immediately removes it from Active Applications. Using the home button keeps it under Active Applications. It will eventually remove itself from Active Applications if you need the processing power or memory.

Note, that just being removed from Active Applications doesn't mean it has no procsses running. Apps with notifications for example will have a process running in the background listed in the processes.

Yeah you have it right, if you play a game that uses lots of cpu like real racing, if you just exit to home then go straight back to the game it will go to where you left it, however if you exit to home and use some other apps, or play another game when you load up real racing it will reload from the start again.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
That isn't true.

I have quite a few apps that never appear under Active Applications.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome