Need help with Note 2 battery!

Joe Dotson

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone. Im new here, and before you say it, yeah, ive done some extensive research on battery issues with this phone.

I see lots of battery screen shots, but none that look quite like mine.

I recently downloaded DS Bqttery Saver Pro, and that doesnt seem to help a single bit.

I went to bed last night with my phone at 100% I slept 7 hours, and it was at 74% when I woke up. This is unacceptable.

Please help! Im totally lost here!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy note 2 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368406674546.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368406674546.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 171

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
That's about normal. Especially in am lte area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Joe Dotson

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Really? 25% gone when the phone isn't even doing anything? How is that possible? My battery has been getting increasingly worse over the last few months. I need to to figure something out or get rid of this phone.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes you need to learn how to use your phone, everything you need to monitor battery life is built in. I have had the EXACT same problem u have except mine chewed through 30 percent in less than an hour. Understand that not all apps are truly optimized and designed perfectly. Some apps do not shut down properly andhave background processes that chew through cpu time. Anytime an app is using more than 0% (idle) while suspended is going to drain battery quickly. Any app that sends and receives data all thetime will do this as well.
Here is a very good widget that shows you when a app is eating cpu time while idle. For me its green and shows 1 app running, it can show 15 or 20 apps in idle and still be green. Other tine it will show 2 or 3 apps and it will be red. Red is bad, click it the widget and it shortcuts to your taskmanager and shows you which apps are utilizing cputime and which are not. Close the bad apps and save your battery life.

For whatever reason tapatalk wont let me upload the picture. The widget is called application monitor and you will only find it in the samsung appstore.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-12-22-41-23.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-12-22-41-23.png
    592.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Really? 25% gone when the phone isn't even doing anything? How is that possible? My battery has been getting increasingly worse over the last few months. I need to to figure something out or get rid of this phone.

One other thing to mention, your phone is NEVER not doing anything. Its just that you dont know what its doing and why. There are built in tools in the settings app and there are literally thousands of monitor type apps in the playstore. Learn your phone and you will love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Joe Dotson

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks jdub I'll give that widget a shot. Im using power saving mode, and gps, location services, blue tooth is always turned off. I keep the screen as dim as possible, and im really anal about holding the home button and shutting down all running apps before I turn the screen off.

I dont think the DS Battery Saver is as good as they lwt on, it didn't seem to help much at all last night. Does anyone else use it?

Anything you guys think I might be missing? Or any other tricks I could try?

Im in the military, and when I need to get up and go, I gotta go. I dont hace time to worry about constantly charging my phone.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

Joe Dotson

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I also see lots on the web that says roiting your phone can help with battery.

That is something I know absolutely nothing about.

Any thoughts?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Rooting will not help. I am rooted and occasionally run into new apps that drain battery. I keep my brightness at half way and never turn off wifi. Gps and bluetooth I only turn on when I need it and my battery still last a day and a half with 7 or 8 hours screen on time.

sejgiul

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Try greenpower. The free version works well enough for me :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368468456571.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368468456571.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 89
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368468470739.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368468470739.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 89
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368468480305.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368468480305.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 89

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Joe.
Could you post your battery history details and screen-on graphs. They can provide more info.

Rooting isnt necessary for good battery life.
Also removing apps from the recent apps list or clearing ram won't help with battery (or performance for that matter). Closing 'active apps' is more helpful.

The usual culprits for off-screen battery Ioss are poor signal (or LTE) or wakelocks .

Common fixes are:
Keep wifi on during sleep → Never
Apps like viber → use phones wifi policy
Autosync → disable
Email / Facebook → Longer refresh intervals
Location settings → Disable 'report from this device' , Location reporting can be set to auto
Sent from my GT-N7100

Last edited:

Ryan_Clark

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Get rid of those useless battery draining apps. The more apps the more memory the more battery loss! Simple :D

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Ryan_Clark

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I only lose about 8-11% of battery over a 10 hour night of idle. Using power save that's built in

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Joe Dotson

May 13, 2013
Visit site
To me it looks like I have a problem with my phone always being awake, even when the screen is off.
How do I fix that?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368529261549.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368529261549.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 80

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
To me it looks like I have a problem with my phone always being awake, even when the screen is off.
How do I fix that?

There is a wakelock keeping the phone awake non stop. Have you checked the settings from my previous post

Sent from my GT-N7100

Joe Dotson

May 13, 2013
Visit site
HypoDest,
I saw your post. Sorry im a little ignorant..but what is a wakelock and how do I fix it?

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
HypoDest,
I saw your post. Sorry im a little ignorant..but what is a wakelock and how do I fix it?

Nothing complicated. Wakelock in android is simply your phone staying awake when your not using it. Your phone is awake continuously due to some setting or app. I listed some of the common causes, try them and see if they fix the issue.

Sent from my GT-N7100

Joe Dotson

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey thanks!
I downloaded wakelock detector, and let it run for about 20 minutes with screen off.

Viber is hurting it a little bit, but I have to have that to text my wife in the US, I'm stationed in South Korea right now.
The biggest culprit was a weather widget and Jango radio.

Deleted both entirely, cleared memory, shut screen off and let sit for 30 minites. Screen off and awake bars now match!!

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Another big one is to set email refresh to manual. If you set it to anything else your phone will be constantly looking for new mail even when there are no new ones.

Unless of course you need email to be pushed constantly such as for business use then manual should be good enough. I also turn off location use inside the google services app. This is not the same as the location stuff in the settings app.

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Have a question regarding general battery drain while in airplane mode. When I put my GN2 into airplane mode at night, after 8 hours, the battery drain averages abotu 2.5% per hour. Is this normal? I killed all apps and put the phone in airplane mode with wifi off, but kept my alarm on. What have you observed with your phone?

I just downloaded wakelock detector to see what's preventing the phone from going into deep sleep. I restarted the phone under airplane mode and kept it there. The log said that within the first hour Google Maps and Google Search was the two most common wakeup triggers (24 and 10 times respectively), there were only 4 other triggers that came up less than 3 times. Keep in mind I didn't touch the phone during this hour of sleep. Is there something I can do about these two google apps, is it normal? These are the stock apps on the phone.

My google maps settings has "Use wireless netorks" and "Location and Google serach" and "report from this device" items checked. But since the network data and phone radio is off, maps shouldn't be search right?

My google search, I'm assuming is my Google Now app. I'm not sure what I can do here....

Last edited:

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi Joe.
Could you post your battery history details and screen-on graphs. They can provide more info.

Rooting isnt necessary for good battery life.
Also removing apps from the recent apps list or clearing ram won't help with battery (or performance for that matter). Closing 'active apps' is more helpful.

The usual culprits for off-screen battery Ioss are poor signal (or LTE) or wakelocks .

Common fixes are:
Keep wifi on during sleep → Never
Apps like viber → use phones wifi policy
Autosync → disable
Email / Facebook → Longer refresh intervals
Location settings → Disable 'report from this device' , Location reporting can be set to auto
Sent from my GT-N7100

regarding this: Location settings → Disable 'report from this device' , Location reporting can be set to auto

will this still allow Google Now's location specific ntotifications to work?

I don't understand the difference between "Location reporting" and "Report from this device" choices. Based on the wording descriptions, it means the same things.

Last edited: