Honest Answers please

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks, I know many folks cherish the products they buy and likely defend a their purchase by any means necessary so I ask you for an honest answer. Pretty much every Android (samsung) phone Ive purchased starts slowing down and lagging over time. The user experience always seems to start out nearly perfect with speed, shifting through apps, etc, however, it seems like once about 7 months pass these phones always start behaving the exact opposite. My GN2 is now a lag, stutter and shutdown fest and I don't know what in the heck caused this. I used to root by phones and install different Roms so I decided not to root this one because I thought that rooting was the problem over time. What is it with these phones? Could it be that compiling of data over time that bogs it down? Anyone else having or has had this experience with you phone?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks, I know many folks cherish the products they buy and likely defend a their purchase by any means necessary so I ask you for an honest answer. Pretty much every Android (samsung) phone Ive purchased starts slowing down and lagging over time. The user experience always seems to start out nearly perfect with speed, shifting through apps, etc, however, it seems like once about 7 months pass these phones always start behaving the exact opposite. My GN2 is now a lag, stutter and shutdown fest and I don't know what in the heck caused this. I used to root by phones and install different Roms so I decided not to root this one because I thought that rooting was the problem over time. What is it with these phones? Could it be that compiling of data over time that bogs it down? Anyone else having or has had this experience with you phone?

With it happening that quickly, I don't think it's obsolescence. Jerry talked about this on the podcast a couple of weeks ago and basically said that doing a factory reset is a good thing; start on a clean slate, etc. Hardware does get "used up" by processing data constantly over time, but that's typically a long process that shouldn't happen this quickly.

namtaffy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Bit rot was always a problem on windows although not really so with Linux. Although android is based on Linux it probably suffers a little too. I also used to root n rom but found this was achieving little but voiding my warranty (which bit me) and had me fixated on the newest rom rather than using my device. Also in my opinion "devs" and especially the xda community is elitist without actually being very elite! (please don't flame this is only my opinion you may think xda devs are the mutz nutz and that's fine too)

If I noticed a slow down I would try to find the app(s) responsible. Also each iteration of android is going to ask more of the hardware so a slight performance hit for new features may be unavoidable. There is always the freshness that a full reset/wipe will bring then you can get rid of those apps that just take up space too

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Android Central Forums

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I hate to do a wipe because like to keep all of my SMS data..Ill check for bad apps first but man this thing is getting on my last nerves.
Bit rot was always a problem on windows although not really so with Linux. Although android is based on Linux it probably suffers a little too. I also used to root n rom but found this was achieving little but voiding my warranty (which bit me) and had me fixated on the newest rom rather than using my device. Also in my opinion "devs" and especially the xda community is elitist without actually being very elite! (please don't flame this is only my opinion you may think xda devs are the mutz nutz and that's fine too)

If I noticed a slow down I would try to find the app(s) responsible. Also each iteration of android is going to ask more of the hardware so a slight performance hit for new features may be unavoidable. There is always the freshness that a full reset/wipe will bring then you can get rid of those apps that just take up space too

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Android Central Forums

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I hate to do a wipe because like to keep all of my SMS data..Ill check for bad apps first but man this thing is getting on my last nerves.

How about getting a sms text archiving app? If you have too many texts on your phone you can run out of "room" too and your phone will misbehave as well. I archive mine and send them to my gmail account.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the statement that all phones need a factory reset every now and then. Not just android and not just Samsung. It is painless. However I don't save any texts. They are for the most part deleted as I read them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34