Screen burn in...

StephenAaron

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Long story short - I have had my GN2 since November. Use it a lot (since that's why I bought it) but not an extreme amount... screen brightness is around 75% or lower. Now I am getting the beginnings of screen burn in from the status bar. After only 7 months?!?! So, is this covered under a warranty and if so, should I talk to Samsung or Tmobile?
Thanks,
Stephen

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Gonna take a shot in the dark and say it will not be covered under your warranty. T-Mobile definitely wont do anything. Samsung will probably ask you to ship it to them and they'll probably tell you it needs a new screen. Samsung's website says it has a one year warranty on GSM phones but doesn't explicitly say what it covers. Your best bet is contacting them directly to find out.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Gonna take a shot in the dark and say it will not be covered under your warranty. T-Mobile definitely wont do anything. Samsung will probably ask you to ship it to them and they'll probably tell you it needs a new screen. Samsung's website says it has a one year warranty on GSM phones but doesn't explicitly say what it covers. Your best bet is contacting them directly to find out.

I would think screen burn in would be part of the warranty. Just call them and explain the problem. I have a difficult time believing that your experience is normal.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

SmileyBourne

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
What is screen burn and what does it do to your phone? Can you take a picture on your phone so we can see? We just want to know if we get it. Thank you.

Greatest phone every Note 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
What is screen burn and what does it do to your phone? Can you take a picture on your phone so we can see? We just want to know if we get it. Thank you.

Greatest phone every Note 2

Screen Burn In is when the screen has an image burned in. In other words its known as image retention. Plasma and Projection TVs have suffered from this when there is a still image such as network logos or gaming huds that don't disappear or change.

StephenAaron

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I cant take a picture of it right now because I don't have a good enough second camera. Now that I've looked at it more carefully, the image retention that is happening is basically entire screen MINUS the status bar. Which makes more sense anyway. When I view a full page color, the area under the status bar is brighter than the rest of the screen. So, that makes sense if the pixels that make up the status bar are used less because they are black/off more than the rest of the screen. I have called samsung and they said I should send it in so they can determine what's going on. If it is found to be a defect they will fix/replace it but if not, no dice. So, we'll see what happens.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I cant take a picture of it right now because I don't have a good enough second camera. Now that I've looked at it more carefully, the image retention that is happening is basically entire screen MINUS the status bar. Which makes more sense anyway. When I view a full page color, the area under the status bar is brighter than the rest of the screen. So, that makes sense if the pixels that make up the status bar are used less because they are black/off more than the rest of the screen. I have called samsung and they said I should send it in so they can determine what's going on. If it is found to be a defect they will fix/replace it but if not, no dice. So, we'll see what happens.

This is burn in and not the black blobs we see on black screens right? AMOLED screens suffer from this so I want to make sure.

SmileyBourne

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
That would suck. You guys have so much go information. So is it because you don't change the wallpaper or the lock screen picture enough or is the pixels just bad?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

StephenAaron

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not exactly sure what your second sentence is supposed to say, SmileyBourne, but the wallpaper and lock screen have very little if anything to do with this issue. The only way they would matter is if you only turned your phone on to the lock screen or home screen over and over and over and just left them on that screen for hours and hours at a time. Maybe then it would matter if those screens were never changed. And if that's what someone did, they might have the actual image on their home/lock screens burned in to the screen, but that isn't what is going on here. This phone is experiencing a color shift over the entire screen area MINUS the area of the status bar. So, basically every time I use my phone for browsing, news, some games, phone calls etc., the usage contributes to the problem. I still don't know whether or not they will fix it as I am working out the replacement phone issue for while mine is gone, but when I do, I'll update this thread.

SmileyBourne

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
This is worried after I talk to you guy about this now I am having problem with my screen. I have white dots come up on my screen when I touch my home screen.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

StephenAaron

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I finally had to exchange - through Tmobile - my note 2 for another one. The burn in got pretty bad and then my proximity sensor started bugging out. They exchanged it though so that's good.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1