Play Music was updated to 5.0 last week, and after some crashing problems resolved themselves, I noticed my battery was draining more quickly than normal. Sure enough, a look in Task Manager revealed Play Music running all on its own. A force stop does nothing; it comes right back again, sometimes using up to 30% (!) of the CPU.

I'm guessing this may have something to do with the All Access feature that was added (and which I declined to sign up for). I could probably resolve this problem by uninstalling the update, but I really like the look and feel of the new Play Music. Anyone else in a similar quandary?
    05-21-2013 10:25 AM
    Hey there jasw, I remember you from the cb days. Please keep this thread updated as I declined to install this update today. I'd like to know how you make out

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    05-21-2013 12:52 PM
    The update is great and I absolutely love the ui so far. I've had it use next to no battery on my phone.

Where is your music stored and what are your download settings?

Sent from my Note 2
    05-21-2013 04:54 PM
    Hey there jasw, I remember you from the cb days. Please keep this thread updated as I declined to install this update today. I'd like to know how you make out

Update works fine on 2 notes here

Sent from Note 2
    05-21-2013 07:26 PM

I'm not discounting the op by any means but I would definitely recommend upgrading. I didn't used to like the Google music app or use it much before but now definitely my player of choice

Sent from my Note 2
    JasW likes this.
    05-21-2013 09:56 PM
    FYI I just got an update that I would assume is bug fixes

Sent from my Note 2
    05-21-2013 10:25 PM
    Google support told me to uncheck the box Settings > Accounts > Google > Accounts > [myemail]@gmail.com > Sync Google Play Music. I had sync checked before the update as well, but it caused no problems. In any event, this didn't do all that much good. The app is like the freakin' Terminator -- force stops won't kill it.

Can you folks who claim to have nema problema check Task Manager and see if Play Music is running? Note that it doesn't seem to pop up as frequently with sync unchecked. When it does appear in Task Manager, it doesn't continually use the CPU as it did with sync checked -- it usually shows up as using 0% of the CPU -- but it does pop up after restarts and force stops, and does occasionally show that it's using the CPU.
    05-22-2013 08:43 AM
    It is ALWAYS running, I tried to kill it after reading your original post and it wont die. I just clicked uninstall update and froze the app. I dont use it anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    05-22-2013 03:35 PM
    Mine is running but using 0% cpu and I do use the app.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-22-2013 03:54 PM
    Never heard back from Google support after I replied to them that the thing is still always running. To be fair, their suggestion that I uncheck sync did solve the battery drain issue.
    05-24-2013 11:40 AM
    I've noticed this myself. Not so much that it is constantly running. It just drains my battery a lot more than it used to when I'm using it, even when listening to music on the device. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.
    05-25-2013 07:22 AM
    Same here, battery is draining fast, will try to unchecked play music.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums
    05-25-2013 07:41 AM
    Where is your music stored and what are your download settings?

Sent from my Note 2
    Anybody with problems want to chime in? So far it just seems people with problems are trying to disable music and not troubleshoot.

Posted via Android Central App with Note 2
    05-25-2013 04:26 PM
    Always running. When I kill it it just starts back up in few mins. Nothing I can do about it. There is no box anywhere to Uncheck that will stop this. We will have to wait for the fix.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!
    05-25-2013 06:54 PM
    I am having the exact same problem. I use the music player and really like it.
    05-25-2013 11:31 PM
    Here is a new one ..along with always running...I had a voice mail messege. I hit play...listened to the messege. After the messege was done, google play started on it own and was playing music while in the voicemail app. WTF

Size does matter! -☆SGN2☆
    05-26-2013 05:32 PM
    I never use it, as such I uninstalled the update and disabled the app. No more issue.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    05-29-2013 07:13 PM
    I never use it, as such I uninstalled the update and disabled the app. No more issue.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Yea but that does not help all the people here who do use it.... There will be an update soon to fix these issues. Thats what the reply email I received yesterday said.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!
    somebodywatchin likes this.
    05-30-2013 06:25 AM
    I wanted to use it, but having issues as well. My home computer will not sync my music from Itunes. But even more annoying, it is continuously running on my phone.

I had installed the update, then noticed it running all the time. Uninstalled the update, and it's still running. Tried the other suggestion of unchecking the sync option. It's still running.

Is there a way to disable this from my phone?
    05-31-2013 12:49 PM
    Any word on the update? This is a Google app. How can we complain directly to Google about this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    06-09-2013 01:30 AM
    Hello. I disable Google Music in the control panel and now the drain is very low ;-)

Enviado desde mi Transformer TF101 usando Tapatalk 2
    06-10-2013 03:20 AM
    It's not a problem any more. I really don't care that it's running in the background if it's not using any juice. If you don't uncheck sync, though, it will use up a lot of juice.

The update has made it a terrific app.
    06-10-2013 07:47 AM
    I have the same problem, don't know what to do.
    06-26-2013 12:29 PM
    My Solution:

I have Galaxy Note with Jelly Bean. After updating to Jelly Bean my battery started draining very fast.

This worked for Google Music and the Google programs I don't use (also Maps, which I do use).
    1. Go into Google Play> select the program you want to remove from background > Settings > click Auto-update apps > select 'do not auto-update apps' if not already selected
    2. Settings > application manager > select app > uninstall updates
    3. Settings > application manager > select app > force stop

I'm not 100% sure what I did next, but I think I went:
    Settings > application manager > running > show cashed processes at the top > select act > stop, then go to "All" at the top select the process and disable it if you want to.

I did not disable Google Play Music, and when I look in my Memory Booster Lite program it no longer shows as running. Again it still loads when I press the Icon, just much slower.

Same for Google maps. In the "travel" folder I created, I now see com.google.amdroid.maps rather than the Google Maps icon. When I click on it it still open, but does not load as fast.

Unfortunately I still have 40 programs running in the background, so have to work through them one by one.

Once the 4.3 comes out I think I will root my phone so that I can do this much faster.

Google Music no longer runs in the background nor does Maps. From #3 I could have selected disable, but did not. If I go into the "Music" folder I created, the icon is still therel
    07-04-2013 11:39 AM