Probably other things. Ask an S4 owner.

Advantages - Galaxy Note 2
Bigger screen
S Pen
Better battery life

totallygone

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I am currently trying to decide which one between the note 2 or s4 to buy. I like the idea I having two screens open simultaneously. I think I maybe sold with the note 2.

I actually plan to buy the seidio active case with the holder when I get the phone.

Http://www.sleepydoctordiaries.com
Sent from my blackberry using Tapatalk

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Only reason why I didn't go for the Note 2 was lack of integration with the apps I like to use with the S-Pen. Otherwise I would have given the device a try.

As long as you feel that S-Pen is worthwhile for you, I would do it. If you are worried about a better processor and 1080p screen, maybe hold on for the Note 3.

One other thing I like to add. I am a developer and systems integrator. I do presentations/mockups on my iPad mini. I don't if you consider getting the new Note tablet. Only reason why I say that is it is easier to make a sale on a 8 inch screen. Also maybe just bad luck, but many times I show my clients something on my phone and of course a phone call comes and interrupts what they are looking on my screen.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
If you REALLY feel the need for the S pen by all means go Note 2. But, if you want a 5.5" screen that has the same color Quality as the iPhone but with 400ppi I would recommend the LG Optimus G Pro. I just went from the LG to the S4 because I felt that the screen was Too big. The 5" S4 feels much more stable in the hand.
The LG is honestly a VERY good phone. There are things on the LG I like even more than the S4.
The battery life of the LG was AMAZING. I could get 2 full days from one charge. it has an even bigger battery than the Note 2. 3140mAh vs Note 2 3100mAh
The LG is 1/4" less wide than the Note 2, so to me it makes it even More comfortable to hold.
My wife loved the LG too. She is getting one in July1st. The LG does let you write with your finger. Never tried a stylus with it but surely a regular $7 stylus from Office depot would work on it.
Of course it is AT&T only. I didn't see you mention a carrier.
And, native browser has flash as well.
If the LG were same size as S4, I would not have switched.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I just got an S4 a few days ago, and I really like the experience of my first Android. But I am very curious about the Note 2. The thought of having a really long lasting battery intrigues me, and so does having the larger screen. I thought the S4 was really large coming from iPhone, but now I think, hmm, how easy would reading be on the Note 2? Am mostly interested in email, texting and surfing. I am a web designer so
The large screen for testing would be nice. I like the things the S4 does but I don't know if I need the advanced features.

I am a bit worried about the size as I am a smaller female who would put an Otterbox case on the phone.

Also, the phone needs to last me three years as I am on a contract with myS4 and within the 14 day return policy if I decide to take it back.

All feedback appreciated :)

After skimming through some of the posts, the only two points I can think of are: The Note 2 is getting close to a year old roughly halfway through to the end of it's life, so development support for it will begin to fade. Second, I thought the S4 was compatible with the SPen, there just wasn't a slot for it?

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Second, I thought the S4 was compatible with the SPen, there just wasn't a slot for it?
No that's incorrect. The note has a Wacom screen which the pen only works with.
You can use a capacitive pen on almost all devices but they are not as accurate

joshwithachance

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I hardly use my S-Pen and I still absolutely adore my Note 2. The added screen real estate and insane battery life make this device just outstanding. I started with the HTC One in my journey from iOS to Android, but quickly found myself wanting a larger display and a bit more battery, which the Note has.

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
After skimming through some of the posts, the only two points I can think of are: The Note 2 is getting close to a year old roughly halfway through to the end of it's life, so development support for it will begin to fade. Second, I thought the S4 was compatible with the SPen, there just wasn't a slot for it?

There is supposed to be a 4.2 update for the Note 2, along with some of the features of the S4. So, it's likely to be supported along side the S4. There are several very real questions, though.

1) Is the difference in the cameras important?

2) Is the S pen important? I know I can't write or draw as precisely with my finger or a capacitive stylus. And I use the pen.

3) How often does the OP change phones? I'm no longer on contract, so I can upgrade as I see fit. But I haven't seen enough additional features in either the HTC One or the S4 to switch.

As you probably discerned from those comments, I'm a happy Note 2 owner. I've now had it for 5 months and I'm still discovering things about it. I use the multi-window function to have a Bible and notepad to take sermon notes in church and at Bible studies. Depending on my schedule, that could be 6 hours a week. My grocery list is done on my phone. I sometimes listen to music on my phone. Being a blogger, social media is important. Blogging/writing is great, but useless if no one knows it's there. Those are just some of the things my Note 2 helps with. But the real question is whether it stands the test of time.

I've had five previous smartphones, most of which have lost my interest in the first 3 months. I tend to move on to the next great thing, to gain usability. That's not happening with the Note 2. I'm still discovering all the ways it meets my needs.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There is supposed to be a 4.2 update for the Note 2, along with some of the features of the S4. So, it's likely to be supported along side the S4. There are several very real questions, though.

1) Is the difference in the cameras important?

2) Is the S pen important? I know I can't write or draw as precisely with my finger or a capacitive stylus. And I use the pen.

3) How often does the OP change phones? I'm no longer on contract, so I can upgrade as I see fit. But I haven't seen enough additional features in either the HTC One or the S4 to switch.

As you probably discerned from those comments, I'm a happy Note 2 owner. I've now had it for 5 months and I'm still discovering things about it. I use the multi-window function to have a Bible and notepad to take sermon notes in church and at Bible studies. Depending on my schedule, that could be 6 hours a week. My grocery list is done on my phone. I sometimes listen to music on my phone. Being a blogger, social media is important. Blogging/writing is great, but useless if no one knows it's there. Those are just some of the things my Note 2 helps with. But the real question is whether it stands the test of time.

I've had five previous smartphones, most of which have lost my interest in the first 3 months. I tend to move on to the next great thing, to gain usability. That's not happening with the Note 2. I'm still discovering all the ways it meets my needs.

I was only pointing out that soon the development support for the Note 2 would begin to fade away. Something to keep in mind if one is upgrading/switching to that device. However, that only depends if that user cares about keeping up with Android.
I have positive expectations for the Note 3.
The only thing I wish Samsung would do is have a definite cutoff for screen size on smartphones versus 'phablets' like the Note 2. I personally don't think the Galaxy S line should get any bigger.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Advantages - Galaxy S4
Faster processor
Better screen
Newer OS version
Better camera
Probably other things. Ask an S4 owner.
Advantages - Galaxy Note 2
Bigger screen
S Pen
Better battery life

The Note 2 will get the newer OS version and probably some camera updates that would make the difference VERY minimal. The S4 will never get updated to the bigger screen, S pen, or battery life. So I think the pro's listed here heavily are in favor of the Note 2. Also, I don't think you can list "probably other things" as an advantage, cause the same could be said for any device. Speculation shouldn't really be an advantage because then it's just opinion.

Myself, I will wait for the Note 3 but I would consider the Note 2 at that time if the differences aren't big enough to justify the cost. The Note 2 will be cheaper at that time.

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
I was only pointing out that soon the development support for the Note 2 would begin to fade away. Something to keep in mind if one is upgrading/switching to that device. However, that only depends if that user cares about keeping up with Android.
I have positive expectations for the Note 3.
The only thing I wish Samsung would do is have a definite cutoff for screen size on smartphones versus 'phablets' like the Note 2. I personally don't think the Galaxy S line should get any bigger.

I agree with what you're saying. But there are enough Note 2s out there that, with the OS update, apps are likely to support it for a long time. There might be no further OS tweaks from Sammy, but the number of Note 2 devices is likely to at least keep us getting security updates. So the question is whether a person buys a phone because it's the "latest and greatest" or because of what it does. If it's the former, then they'll buy whatever comes out next with great marketing. If it's the latter, then a phone that does everything they need is a keeper.

As for size, you're right. Not everyone wants a phone the size of a Note 2 or larger. Samsung would lose a large chunk of market space if they ignored those who want a 4.x" screen.

One side note for the OP. You're asking this in a forum for those who intentionally bought a Note 2. So the opinions you get are probably going to be prejudiced. <grin> I'd suggest posting the same question in the S4 forum. You're likely to get a similar imbalance in favor of the S4. But we've given you a slew of features and reasons to want a Note 2. They'll give you that same detail for the S4. Then you'll have the info you really need on both. In the end, it's the features that benefit you that are going to make the difference

Valkaneer

May 22, 2013
Visit site
The Note 2 will get the newer OS version and probably some camera updates that would make the difference VERY minimal. The S4 will never get updated to the bigger screen, S pen, or battery life. So I think the pro's listed here heavily are in favor of the Note 2. Also, I don't think you can list "probably other things" as an advantage, cause the same could be said for any device. Speculation shouldn't really be an advantage because then it's just opinion.

Myself, I will wait for the Note 3 but I would consider the Note 2 at that time if the differences aren't big enough to justify the cost. The Note 2 will be cheaper at that time.

Now come on, you know the Note 2 will never grow more pixels, It will always have extremely limited case selection, It will never get the new sensors, Inferred, thinner body, lighter, faster processor, the S4 will beat the Note 2 on any benchmark. It will never have a 9.7 or 13 mega pixel camera, brighter screen ect... We all know the test say the S4 battery is not much worse than the Note 2 since the S4 is more efficient. I like both a lot, both have there strong points, but lets be honest.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Now come on, you know the Note 2 will never grow more pixels, It will always have extremely limited case selection, It will never get the new sensors, Inferred, thinner body, lighter, faster processor, the S4 will beat the Note 2 on any benchmark. It will never have a 9.7 or 13 mega pixel camera, brighter screen ect... We all know the test say the S4 battery is not much worse than the Note 2 since the S4 is more efficient. I like both a lot, both have there strong points, but lets be honest.

I guess I can agree with you that the S4 is newer. You've got me there. I wasn't giving a comprehensive breakdown list of the pro's and con's. Please re-read my post, and the post I quoted. I was responding to HIS list of pro's and con's and saying why I personally felt the Note 2 had the edge out of what he listed. If I was to give a complete breakdown (I wont, because no one here REALLY is going to care what my view is because I own neither device), I agree with you that the 13 MP camera will not magically insert itself into the Note 2.

The only advantage he listed that I felt was a true advantage, was the screen on the S4. But I would argue that someone in the market for a Note 2, isn't going to be looking for the #1 tech on the market. Not that the Note 2 WASN'T arguably the best when it was released, i'm just saying a huge draw is the S Pen capabilities. For example: I bought the Note 10.1 even though the screen tech was about a year old when it was released. But I didn't care, because nothing else offered that level of S Pen integration.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I tried a gs4 the other day. It is SWEET! The battery in the note 2 is 3100mah and the gs4 is 2600mah. Not a huge difference overall. If you cant wait for a note 3 then id most likely go with a s4 and this is coming from a note 2 owner of 6 months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Valkaneer

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I guess I can agree with you that the S4 is newer. You've got me there. I wasn't giving a comprehensive breakdown list of the pro's and con's. Please re-read my post, and the post I quoted. I was responding to HIS list of pro's and con's and saying why I personally felt the Note 2 had the edge out of what he listed. If I was to give a complete breakdown (I wont, because no one here REALLY is going to care what my view is because I own neither device), I agree with you that the 13 MP camera will not magically insert itself into the Note 2.

The only advantage he listed that I felt was a true advantage, was the screen on the S4. But I would argue that someone in the market for a Note 2, isn't going to be looking for the #1 tech on the market. Not that the Note 2 WASN'T arguably the best when it was released, i'm just saying a huge draw is the S Pen capabilities. For example: I bought the Note 10.1 even though the screen tech was about a year old when it was released. But I didn't care, because nothing else offered that level of S Pen integration.

Ah yes, I am sorry I did misread what you said. Got one word wrong, and that one word changed the whole sentence.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Once you've had the phone the screen size feels normal and u make not be able to downsize to a smaller phone. Lol.
Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Totally agree with this...anytime someone hands me their phone to do something for them, it feels tiny. My Note 2 just feels "right".

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site

Thank you for making my point. You've basically said your reasoning for upgrading is because of specs and features, whether you need them or not. And that's fine, if that makes you happy. But I actually do work related things with my Note 2, don't take a lot of pictures, don't play games much. If my Note 2 does what I need it to, with a little wiggle room to do more, why do I need to change my phone?

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
And my saga continues, lol. I have watched reviews, read forums, gone to stores and played with the phone, etc. I honestly LOVE my S4, it's amazing. However, that extra bit of real estate on the screen for me is really swaying me! I am in my thirties, and tho I don't have vision issues, I am on electronic devices all day. Computers, iPads, etc. and my eyes get tired. I have the print bumped up to large on the S4 so that is taking away some real estate from the S4 screen.
I am worried most about a case for the phone adding bulk, but I need a good case to stop a crack. I don't make a lot of calls so I am not worried about holding the phone to my ear and it being awkward.
I am a bit concerned I am "downgrading" a bit spec wise, but I don't give a hoot about fancy air gestures and the like. I am concerned about updates. I need this phone to last me a minimum of 2 years, and I have a three year contract. But I usually always upgrade before it is up.
Will the note 2 run the latest jellybean eventually? Is it slower or laggier than the S4? Will it "feel" old in a year ? Security is a big deal to me. I don't want to get a phone that won't be supported.
I love the idea of a longer lasting battery too...decisions, decisions. However, will the store let me go back to the S4 after another 14 days if I decide the note 2 is too much?
I feel I am getting closer to a decision..

Valkaneer

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for making my point. You've basically said your reasoning for upgrading is because of specs and features, whether you need them or not. And that's fine, if that makes you happy. But I actually do work related things with my Note 2, don't take a lot of pictures, don't play games much. If my Note 2 does what I need it to, with a little wiggle room to do more, why do I need to change my phone?

Sorry, but you assumed wrong. I was not listing reason "I" upgraded, I was listing things the note 2 can never do that the S4. A bit defensive? It has no bearing on what phone I use or why I upgraded. Point being I returned my S4 yesterday for the Note 2. Why? not because of the screen size, but because it does the things I like to do more. The gigantic size of the note 2 worried me but after rigorous research I was able to find products that curbed my worries and made them not so much an issue.

What is strange Is, I never said you should change your phone or even responded to anything you said in that quote. I was responding to someone else.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar