Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Shutting Down - FIXED IT!!!

bis007

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Like many of you out there, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 that keeps shutting down without warning. In my case, it has *nothing* to do with wifi or applications. My research led me to this site and a video posted by "dpham00", who also posted a link to his site at Verizon Galaxy Note 2 Shuts Off. Kudos to him for his hard work and efforts!

So here's how I fixed mine: realizing the phone was shutting down when bumped, jolted, etc., I figured it just HAD to be a power interruption whenever it was slightly bumped or jolted (like when in my pocket). That led me to the battery as suspect number one. I opened the back-plate and noticed I could move the battery up and down just a fraction of an inch )closer to 1/3 of a millimeter. It was so light, some of you might think it wasn't actually loose, but it is! I searched the kitchen junk drawer and found an old Cigna health card made of that thin, laminated paper. I cut off a thin strip about an 1\8" wide, and about 2" long. I then wedged it between the battery and the phone frame (at the bottom of the battery), assuring a super tight fit against the brass contacts at the top of the battery.

Next, I replaced the back-plate, powered up, and BINGO!!!!! No more broken phone!!!! I have tested it for 48 hours now, even performing the "test drop" from several centimeters above the table top. I have carried it in my pocket, left it running, I've done EVERYTHING I did before. It has not shut off ONE TIME!!!!

In case you're wondering, mine was shutting off about 4 to 5 times a day. It was driving me crazy!!! I truly hope this post helps the majority of you out there with this aggravating problem (and I think it will). Best of luck to all of you! :cool:

Mark

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Glad you figured it out, but it's sad that a $700 piece of high end technology has to be fixed with a piece of paper!!

Sent from my Samung "Brick"

bis007

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Well I completely agree with you, but believe me, it's MUCH better to have it fixed. Fact is, I won't even think of it again. A working Galaxy Note 2 is a beautiful thing. :)

Glad you figured it out, but it's sad that a $700 piece of high end technology has to be fixed with a piece of paper!!

Sent from my Samung "Brick"

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Nothing is ever 100% all the time. But with millions out there and most without any problems... Mine has had 0 problems since day one, the day it became available.

Sent from my Sprint Note 2 via Tapatalk.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Mines been reasonably bullet proof and compared to EVERY OTHER phone I've owned, it's light-years more dependable...and battery life is...as we all know..stupendous. IIRC, the only time I had to reset my phone was when Media began sucking the battery dry in a few hours. Been months since I reset for that issue and all is well. Only issues are s/w issues from time to time, like I mentioned today regarding shortcuts to homescreen with Nova Launcher (presumably the culprit, but I'm not yet sure).

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Nothing is ever 100% all the time. But with millions out there and most without any problems... Mine has had 0 problems since day one, the day it became available.

Ditto after 6 months. Had to reimport my contacts but that was probably due to some 3rd party app. No hardware issues at all.

J1161

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Mark, thanks for the post!! It's seem to work for me as well. Now, I haven't field tested completely, but seems to work at home. Should save me a lot of aggravation with this nonsense. Thanks again Mark!

limulus11

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting that information and link to that site. I had a very frustrating episode with my Note 2 while traveling. After reading your post- I thought I would have a solution, but it wouldn't work for me. I found that even if I removed the battery, and ran the phone off of an external supply, it would still frequently turn off. In the end my problem appeared to be software related- even though it had the same bumping/turning off symptoms. Here's my story that I just add to that other site:

"OK, I've got a really strange story with my Note 2. I bought it in January and rooted it right away. It worked perfectly for the next 9 months. Suddenly one day I took it out of my pocket and it was off (even though I had just seen the battery level at around 50%). It would not turn on unless I removed and re-inserted the battery. Then it would randomly turn off again. Sometimes it would go off before it could event start up all the way. I saw your website and tried the drop test on my phone- sure enough every time it would turn off. So it appeared we had the same problem. Now here's the kicker- when I reinstalled my phone's stock locked ROM,the problem went away. I then re-rooted and installed all of my custom software again. Still the problem is gone. My phone has now been acting rock solid stable for the past week. The drop test does nothing to it. So in my case the problem seems software related- but how that could be related to dropping/vibration I have no clue. Very strange. In any case, my advice to people seeing this problem is to try a complete software reset on your phone."

BBHarris

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
thought I had fixed the same problem but nope, didn't do it.
I went without shutdown for several days and then it happened several times a day. Readjusted the fix with the battery but no dice.
so frustrating when I am speaking with an employee or client and the phone shuts down
Thinking about going to Galaxy S4 or even to iPhone (no battery to worry about)
LOVE Android but this is unacceptable for such an expensive device.
Did your fix last?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
thought I had fixed the same problem but nope, didn't do it.
I went without shutdown for several days and then it happened several times a day. Readjusted the fix with the battery but no dice.
so frustrating when I am speaking with an employee or client and the phone shuts down
Thinking about going to Galaxy S4 or even to iPhone (no battery to worry about)
LOVE Android but this is unacceptable for such an expensive device.
Did your fix last?

Switching to an iphone because there is "no battery to worry about" is biting your nose to spite your face when you factor in "LOVE Android". Can't you get the phone replaced?

Make sure battery contacts are pristine on phone and battery. consider trying another battery. I used to be an automotive electrician and while the batteries in cars are far different than those in our phones let me share something. About once every 4 or 5 years I'd encounter a battery that suddenly wouldn't crank the engine over. Other times those batteries provided full power. It would have an open circuit inside the battery that would come and go. MAYBE, just MAYBE you have a bum battery. Just a thought.

timetry

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I get several shutdowns or reboots a day but so far they have not been too critical (eg mid-call). I have three different batteries which I switch sometimes for travelling (when there is no power socket available) or just for convenience. They all seem to fit well although I've heard cheap copies are prone to ill-fit. I've tried various 'solutions' from different forums with little success so at the moment am just learning to live with it. The large sums one pays for hi tech smartphones seems more for bells & whistles than build quality or software reliability.

Posted via Android Central App

Kay Rouse

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for your solution to my problem. My Samsung Note 2 was shutting down 4 or 5 times a day and driving me insane. I put a strip of laminated cardboard at the bottom of my battery like you suggested and so far, so good. It has only been a couple of days now but so far it has not shut down even once. I never even considered that to be the problem til I read your post. Funny how something so small could fix such a huge problem. Thank you again! I am eternally grateful! Peace on! You rock! :)