Hi

I recently purchased a Galaxy Note II on ebay (GT-N7105). When I try updating I get the error "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available". When I check under the phone status it says "modified". Even when I connect it to my laptop the device doesn't get recognized.

Could anyone let me know why this might be the case and what I can do about it.

Many thanks
    06-23-2013 03:48 PM
    Do you have an SD card in? If so unmount it and try again.
    06-23-2013 03:55 PM
    Do you have an SD card in? If so unmount it and try again.
    Thanks for the reply. No there isn't a USB in there. I don't know why my computer cannot install the drivers. I run windows 7 and when I first connected the phone it said that the driver "qualcomm cdma technologies msm" was not founds. Any suggestions please?
    06-23-2013 06:19 PM
    Are you sure it is a legit Note 2 and not a fake, there are some out there that looks real close to the actual product. When you go into the SPECS screen of your phone what does it say for model number and what is the exact number showing under internal storage.
    06-23-2013 06:35 PM
    06-23-2013 06:36 PM
    Sound like your device was rooted or flashed.
    Since you bought your phone from ebay the phone may have been rooted and flashed a ROM on it. The phone is still good just "modified" which voids the warranty and won't be able to get carrier's update.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-23-2013 11:44 PM
    Sound like your device was rooted or flashed.
    Since you bought your phone from ebay the phone may have been rooted and flashed a ROM on it. The phone is still good just "modified" which voids the warranty and won't be able to get carrier's update.
    +1. You're now off the carrier update plans, and are dependent on 3rd party sites to provide you updates. Good and bad I suppose.
    06-24-2013 09:55 AM
    I've checked the link and it's definitely a genuine phone. But when I connect to computer it says the driver 'qualcomm cdma technologies msm' could not be found. I've tried with 3 different computers and got the same message everytime. I've tried looking for this driver but no luck

This is the screenshot of the error message:

BobR1908 likes this.
    06-24-2013 12:42 PM
    you've been rooted. if you don't want to be rooted, you can try trading your phone with a stock phone. (buy a stock phone, then sell your rooted phone). There are plenty of people out there who wants a rooted phone too, but you should have full disclosure that it's rooted good luck.
    06-24-2013 03:02 PM
    I've checked the link and it's definitely a genuine phone. But when I connect to computer it says the driver 'qualcomm cdma technologies msm' could not be found. I've tried with 3 different computers and got the same message everytime. I've tried looking for this driver but no luck

Glad to hear your phone is genuine! Wishing you the best.

I am not sure after a phone is rooted if it can go back to store bought stock or not, if so that is what I would personally recommend doing. You may hear otherwise here, I know a lot of people enjoy rooting/flashing their phones but I prefer keeping it as I bought it. Just a personal opinion.

This is the screenshot of the error message:

http://i.imgur.com/LzCQmep.png
    06-25-2013 02:01 PM
    Thanks. I finally managed to get the phone to connect to my laptop. If I unroot my device and return it to factory settings will the phone not be unlocked anymore?
    06-29-2013 09:08 AM
    Thanks. I finally managed to get the phone to connect to my laptop. If I unroot my device and return it to factory settings will the phone not be unlocked anymore?
    If you unroot and return to factory default then your phone should be back to "out of the box" condition from a software standpoint.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-29-2013 09:26 AM
    If by "not be unlocked" you mean relocking the bootloader that only applies to Verizon and AT&T Note 2's. Only they have locked bootloaders. And for those phones not all unroot methods will relock the bootloader. Depending on how you unroot that may or may not relock the bootloader. Also how are you returning to factory settings? Most ways of doing that don't unroot or relock.

To return your phone to pure stock you need to flash a GT-N7105 stock ROM from somewhere using the Odin download software tool. You'll put the ROM into Odin, put your phone into download mode by holding volume down, power and home at the same time and then connecting the phone to your computer. You should check out some you tube videos on how to use Odin and or search XDA and Android Central.
    06-29-2013 10:28 AM