Galaxy Note 2: Headphones problem - filled with static

CivilRock

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I paid $300 for a used phone and I love everything except the headphone sound is just a static version of whatever I'm listening to.
The seller told me there's zero problems with the phone, and I'm going to keep it. - or more accurately, he's not taking it back. But that's not the point of my post.

I've tried several things to remedy the problem over the last week:
1. Tried 4 different headphones, same problem.
2. Cleaned out the jack with a moistened toothpick.
3. Ordered a new jack, watched youtube, installed new jack assembly. Same issue.
4. Altered audio settings: balance, surround/stereo, etc.

The internal speaker works fine. Actually everything works fine except the headphones. I'm just worried that because the headphone jack itself wasn't the problem, and the jack plugs into the motherboard, that the motherboard is damaged. The phone has obviously been dropped at least once, and maybe some water damage. I really can live without the headphones. I have a bluetooth earpiece for talking and driving. But what I really am missing is a way to play music in my truck.

So here are my questions for y'all:
1. Is there another route I can take to fix this apparent hardware problem?
2. Are there any known software issues that might provide a fix?
3. Should I abandon my efforts and focus on BT (bluetooth) alternatives for my truck?

Thanks! Love the phone, really loving android after 6 years of iPhone experience.

-Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Headphones problem - filled with static

I paid $300 for a used phone and I love everything except the headphone sound is just a static version of whatever I'm listening to.
The seller told me there's zero problems with the phone, and I'm going to keep it. - or more accurately, he's not taking it back. But that's not the point of my post.

I've tried several things to remedy the problem over the last week:
1. Tried 4 different headphones, same problem.
2. Cleaned out the jack with a moistened toothpick.
3. Ordered a new jack, watched youtube, installed new jack assembly. Same issue.
4. Altered audio settings: balance, surround/stereo, etc.

The internal speaker works fine. Actually everything works fine except the headphones. I'm just worried that because the headphone jack itself wasn't the problem, and the jack plugs into the motherboard, that the motherboard is damaged. The phone has obviously been dropped at least once, and maybe some water damage. I really can live without the headphones. I have a bluetooth earpiece for talking and driving. But what I really am missing is a way to play music in my truck.

So here are my questions for y'all:
1. Is there another route I can take to fix this apparent hardware problem?
2. Are there any known software issues that might provide a fix?
3. Should I abandon my efforts and focus on BT (bluetooth) alternatives for my truck?

Thanks! Love the phone, really loving android after 6 years of iPhone experience.

-Kevin

Sorry for what may seem like a silly question but are you pushing until you hear the headphones click into place? If not then static could be produced.

In addition, did he happen to give you the earbuds that would have originally come with the phone? If so for health reasons you may not want to put them in your ear but hold them up to your ear to see if the static is being produced, I often hear of this happening when headphones/earbuds other than those that came with the phone are used. Sounds silly, but I would try them if you have them.

Sometimes cases will prevent one from connecting all the way until hearing that click.

You could try factory reseting the device as well, not much to lose and may help resolve the issue. Also, is this happening when on both 3G and Wifi? I have heard of cases where static occurs while connected via Wifi but streams perfectly when using 3G. Result, Wifi overload from what I am told.

Just thinking out loud in attempt to help, I hope everything works out for you.

CivilRock

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Perfectly good advice, thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.
Pushed in all the way, no case, reset when I got it, and had the problem from the beginning. I have had a previous problem with a buildup of pocket lint in the jack on my iPhone that prevents the connector from going all the way in. (pulled out an amazing amount of lint!)
I turned off Wifi, BT, then put it in Airplane mode and still the same.

I don't have the original earbuds. He said they didn't come with any. Humf. I'll see if I can borrow a set from someone. Are they the same for all the Samsung Galaxy line?

Thanks again,
Kevin

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

Perfectly good advice, thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.
Pushed in all the way, no case, reset when I got it, and had the problem from the beginning. I have had a previous problem with a buildup of pocket lint in the jack on my iPhone that prevents the connector from going all the way in. (pulled out an amazing amount of lint!)
I turned off Wifi, BT, then put it in Airplane mode and still the same.

I don't have the original earbuds. He said they didn't come with any. Humf. I'll see if I can borrow a set from someone. Are they the same for all the Samsung Galaxy line?

Thanks again,
Kevin

Did you notice if notification sounds are also laced with static?

Did you try another music player app?

My note2 new from att did not come with earbuds.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

jerry12

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I though my phone was messed up to but it wasn't you have to push head phone jack in very hard until it bottoms out.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using AC Forums mobile app

CivilRock

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Did you notice if notification sounds are also laced with static?
Did you try another music player app?
My note2 new from att did not come with earbuds.

Great questions! Thank you for that.
1. Yes, everything that goes through the headphones has static. Phone calls, video, music players.
2. I tried a couple of the music players that are on the phone and all the same.
3. That's good to know, at least the seller was right about that one.

Jerry12,
Yes, I'm positive they're in all the way. And I've tried about 5 different headphones now and they all produce the same result.

So I emailed a couple local repair shops yesterday with my scenario and this is one I got back that I think is very helpful:

Kevin,

Sorry to hear about your phone. I have the same phone so I feel your pain on this one.

As long as the new jack was installed properly and it was not a defective part, It sounds like the motherboard is causing a short in the headphone jack. The next step would be to try and scrub the board to get rid of any corrosion.

If you feel comfortable doing it yourself you can buy some electronic cleaner from the hardware store and scrub the board with a toothbrush (usually works the best).

We can do the scrubbing for you if you don't want to risk damaging anything, we charge $25 to do a full scrub. Non-refundable and we cannot guarantee that it will fix your problem. Totally your call on this, we would be glad to help just let us know. Thanks!

Martindale's
3460 sw 185th ave
Beaverton, OR 97006

So I'm off to the store to get some electronic cleaner. Already have a couple unused toothbrushes at my desk at work.

-Kevin

CivilRock

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

BTW, if you ever need to take apart your phone for any reason, this youtube video is very comprehensive:
[edit] looks like my link was replaced with an ad. Search for this on youtube: "Galaxy Note 2 Disassembly & Assembly - Screen and Case Replacement - Drop Test Repair" and you'll get there.
The video is like 24 min long, but it walks you through the whole phone and explains every part of it. Very good photography, close up shots, and a non-annoying voice like most of these videos contain.
-Kevin
Galaxy Note 2 Disassembly & Assembly - Screen and Case Replacement - Drop Test Repair - YouTube

Last edited:

CivilRock

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Well, that didn't work. I tried twice. Fully torn down, cleaned, and re-assembled. For some reason this is the first time that I noticed that the watermark on the motherboard has not gotten wet.
The battery indicator was wet, the one behind the battery by the battery connections is missing, but the one inside is not wet. Maybe it's not water damage, but drop damage?

I'm giving up on it. Instead I bought a BT adapter that will handle A2DP music, as well as ARCP, HSP, and HFP, which I think are for phone calls.
I know the sound quality is not as good as a wired connection, but this might be a nice a clean method in my truck. One less wire coming out of the phone.
$23 Amazon.com: iKross 2 in 1 Feature Bluetooth Stereo Audio Music Streaming Receiver Adapter / Stereo Handsfree Headset: Cell Phones & Accessories
41wNOo0BXOL._SY300_.jpg

Thanks for all your ideas, and hopefully someone can use this information in the future.
-Kevin

CivilRock

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Just a resolution for this thread. (learn from my mistakes)

I don't know why I didn't try calling AT&T at some point to see if the warranty is transferrable. < IT IS >
I had just assumed that a used phone bought from a private party would void the warranty.
Bought a used phone from craigslist for $300 and AT&T is sending me a new one now under warranty. That was easy.

Here's all the stuff I bought for this phone that... is really a waste of time/money:
back cover
frame
S-pen
headphone jack
iKross BT device (I guess I can still use this)
power button (I broke this opening the phone 12 times).
cleaned phone insides connections inside 3 times

-Kevin

milkshakelover97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Well it was a drop problem because the same exact thing happened to my note 2 i hit the back with my knee and it worked again perfectly fine

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

That's terrible. I avoid buying used electronics for reasons such as this. My friend is having the same issue as you are but in his case he had a warranty replacement sent out.

SSLOPER

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

I was having this exact same problem. Headphones clicked all the way in. Tried multiple headsets. No lint or debris in the jack. Saw the post about hitting it on the back with your knee. CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT THIS WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!! Sound quality is fine now.

Julian Gommans

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

Thought I would sign up so I could throw my 2 cents in here.

I had exactly the same issues as Civil Rock, except mine worked fine up until (what might have been the culprit?) I used it with a newly purchased Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Smart Dock
I used the HDMI cable and a standard Auxilary cable to connect it to the TV and it worked perfectly (played GTA Vice City with full audio on the TV) however the first time I tried to use headphones after this (the next day at work) I had this problem, multiple headphones that worked in other devices had the same issue.

Ultimately the final, and most primative, solution worked. Smacking it on your knee. A timid one first off didn't fix it, but a solid tap located specifically near the headphone port fixed it...

I don't know if it is a thing that's related but the fact it happened right after using the Samsung Smart dock with the audio cable going from the dock to the TV (instead of the headphone jack) might have something to do with it? I'll see if it happens again later.

CartVader

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the advice. I can't believe that smacking my phone on my knee made it work. Thanks for an easy fix for a frustrating problem.

EatMyTracers

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

I had this problem also and it ended up just being certain headphones. Now I Just use a portable amp if I want to use one of the headphones that didn't work.

Posted via Android Central App

TIG333

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Well it was a drop problem because the same exact thing happened to my note 2 i hit the back with my knee and it worked again perfectly fine

Good call on this. Mine started doing it today. Could only hear muffled static. I have headphone plug that bend 90 degrees. I just hit the top part against the table and it started working fine again.

kainoadoesstuff

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

....You've got to be s***ing me....
>Complete disassembly of my phone with 3 different headphone/earphone jack replacements....
>Read this post and humors myself while I try it.
>It works.
Well I'll be damned....Primitive banging around succeeds again.....Haha.
Thank you!

StuffJG

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

I found that ending the cached process of MusicFX ends my static. My phone is a Galaxy S4 with a stock load.
Hope this helps and can keep a few of you from beating your phone :)

meedeezee

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Just happened to me. Fixed headphone static with a smack to the knee. Un f-ing believable. Thanks!

via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm