Galaxy Note 2: Headphones problem - filled with static

Donovan Combrinck

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Unf@#king believable, I was at my wit's end....... Kneebash fix. Worked. Thank you.
Tightening the two screws close to the camera and audio jack helped for a bit. As did pressing the area down.

However I think it is most probably a bad internal connection, as posted by some here. Will strip down my phone and check that out.
From surfing the net and finding so many others with this problem, I would say Samsung has a bad design in this area. Relying on plastic to have enough tensile strength to push the 2 surfaces together without having this issue, is asking a bit much imho. Not that Samsung would admit it, lol.

Last edited:
May 15, 2014
Visit site
If your Phone has static-like sound and you can't hear the music well, Just do this:
Lightly smack your Phone at the back of your knee while the music is playing (Make sure to plug-in your earphones to know if its working well-enough or what).

It really helps. :)

Jeinner Campos

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Headphones problem - filled with static

I created this account just to THANK YOU!!! This"method" saved me money hehehe.

I do hit the phone from time to time ( not too hard ) and it works like a charm. Not sure why it works, but it does.

Well it was a drop problem because the same exact thing happened to my note 2 i hit the back with my knee and it worked again perfectly fine

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. And smacking it is not working! !! I've even sent it to get fixed the couldn't resolve problem. I want to try what you have done but having trying trouble retrieving your thumbnail. Is there a way to repost it or another way to see it?? Thank you

Subhash Chandran

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I gave a pat on the phone, near the audio jack, and it worked!! I thought the hitting phone was a humorous post by unscrupulous posters. Well, it is not! Thanks everyone!!

Dean Cvjetkovic

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
i have owned my note 2 for 1 year now and i hit my phone on my knee my it has static but it could possibly cause problems eventually. being a teenager i was using the phone at night when i had the static poblemand i took of the back case of the phone. a screw had fallen out and when i put it back in the phone rarely has static. if it does then a light tap on the phone works. the screw is located right next to the camera. worked for me but see if that helps.

James Tran

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I have same static problem. I read all the previous suggestion and none works for me. I just bang the phone back lightly against the knee, static is gone now.

Thanks

ran raw

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
wow...thanks,i was loughing,when i read ...ur advice to hit the phone on the knees....i did it after many efforts to fix it,headset was not working..and suddenly worked..thanks

Richmond Corpus

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Genius, My phone had the same static issue and found the fix to smack it.. First wack didn't do anything... Second wack with the headset phone jack in place fixed the issue.. THANK YOU ALL !! :D

David Castro4

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
WOW I literary also made this account just to say that this really worked!!! I had to give it a couple taps but now its working!!!!!! Wow if only we could fix all our electronic problems by hitting!

Zsofia Zador

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I have a brand new galaxy young 2 smartphone and having the same problem. The only way I found to make it work - these smash your phone few times and miracle will happen does not occur to me :-\- is to connect it with an old NOKIA headset wich has a button on it (supposedly to turn on but usally I only use it to listen to music and it did nothing with my previous phones while listening). As I hold the button pressed it works beautifully! If I release pressure it gets back static again. My only hope is to press it as long as I can :D

TheTinkerer

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I thought that somebody with a lick of sense should mention that banging your $400 phone is Not a "fix." It's a workaround at best. Yes, it does work, for a little while. But then it comes back, and you have bang your phone again. And if you bang it too hard, or in the wrong spot, you'll break something. Like the glass lens cover of your camera, for example.

I got so sick of this sudden and horrible sound distortion issue on my HTC One m7 that I bought another used HTC One in good condition, and swapped my motherboard into it. Incredibly, that didn't fix the horrible distortion problem. Or the awful camera issue of that pink/purple tint on the pics it takes in sub-daylight conditions.

So both problems are on the motherboard - probably a software issue. But nobody I've found so far has delved into the program files of their rooted phone, so it's anyone's guess where the settings are screwed up (and my ROM doesn't have the mixer_paths.xml file that some people have edited to solve this rotten headset audio problem). It seems that the per-amplifier software is over-amplifying the signal, because the distortion persists at even the lowest volume settings...Very frustrating...

Hopefully someone will -actually- solve this problem, which seems very common in this phone (almost as common as the photo tint problem), because banging on it is a dumb idea and an impermanent workaround.

Nejc Kotnik

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I can't believa it eighter. I had the same problem, got it repaired and it worked for like a day, but then it started buzzing again. Thanks god I found this thread. Hitting it with the knee didn't help, but two smacks on the book (I didn't want to damage it :) ) did. WFT Samsung?????

jevan75

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
OMG I am so glad I found this thread because been having the same issue for the past couple of months. Just a few smacks on my palm and it works! I shall call this "The Fonz Fix" lol.
I've been having the same problem with my AT&T Galaxy Note 2 also. I just read what all of you did to remedy this headphone jack problem. Right after reading it, I actually punched it several times (lightly though) and now real audio, not static noise, comes through the earbuds! Thanks guys!