Going to US how do I set up Phone?

decibel9

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I am from Canada and going to Florida. I want to bring my phone with me but I don't want to pay for roaming charges. is there a way to set up my phone to use wifi only so that way I will not get charge for my data or Txt? wherever in Florida that there will be wifi I would not get charged

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Bosshaugg12 has a good idea on this. When family member have gone from US to Canada, texting was considered non roaming - at least for Verizon. Not sure about your carrier, but something to consider if texting is important.

nd1983

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
i set my note up this way. i uncheck roaming data, and enable wifi. aswell call barring > incoming calls
then if i need to make a 911 call or another call (without having to disable airplane mode, can be a PITA at times), its on my terms without me causing charges, and the phone won't consume any data unless on wifi.

I'm on Rogers and was in Brooklyn, Michigan 2 weekends ago for the Nascar race.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I am from Canada and going to Florida. I want to bring my phone with me but I don't want to pay for roaming charges. is there a way to set up my phone to use wifi only so that way I will not get charge for my data or Txt? wherever in Florida that there will be wifi I would not get charged

Have you checked your carrier? At times with certain plans and for certain services I was told Canada was included in calling plans. The reverse may be true. Doublecheck for clarity.

Personally, I like to have the cell services ON and not go into airplane mode when I'm in another country, thus allowing the occasional important phone call to come through and a text message here and there. In most places, it also keeps the time on my phone correct. As long as DATA is off, it shouldn't be awful and you can control it. You get a call, you say "Hey, I'm out of the country, talk fast." ;) If you start getting someone texting a lot, say the same, more or less. But there may be some calls and texts you really need and want. If it becomes too much, you'll know when to say when, give up and turn cell stuff off. But I usually anticipate what's happening correctly and like my cellular service on with data OFF.

--I download data only on wi-fi. It's the roaming DATA that will kill you on cellular services. You can also make calls on wi-fi (check YOUR plan) for free without incurring roaming charges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith