I pulled all this dirt and dust out of my USB port! Any tips on how to clean it and the other ports (mics) on the phone? I used a 23 gauge needle... I know there have to be better ways lol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Pulled this stuff out of my USB port!-1374082934529.jpg  
    07-17-2013 12:43 PM
    I pulled all this dirt and dust out of my USB port! Any tips on how to clean it and the other ports (mics) on the phone? I used a 23 gauge needle... I know there have to be better ways lol
    I get this crap all the time. I actually use a can of compressed air to blow out these areas. I know they say you shouldn't use air because it could damage internal components, but I tend to use it lightly...enough to blow lent out.
    07-17-2013 01:13 PM
    Thanks. I had no idea all that was in there! I noticed my main mic looked "full" so I started poking around

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-17-2013 02:27 PM
    You should also wash your pants with the pockets pulled out. Prevents lint buildup. ...I use an Otterbox Defender so my ports are still clean.
    07-17-2013 04:48 PM
    I was kinda relieved that it wasn't a picture of an adult novelty...

Posted via Android Central App
    07-17-2013 07:19 PM
    A can of compressed air would be your best friend. I do hardware repairs on both 360's and pcs all the time. You never want to use anything sharp around sensitive electronics, no matter how careful you are there's always a chance you could mess something up. In this case you could scratch the contacts for the usb hub inside your phone, thus degrading usb quality and life.

I personally use q-tips when I don't have any air laying around to use, dipped in a small amount of isopropyl alcohol.

As long as it's powered off and the battery is removed the alcohol won't damage it, just make sure it is completely dry before powering it back on. Wipe out any excess with a qtip and then let it air dry the rest of the way.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    07-18-2013 10:35 AM
    A can of compressed air would be your best friend. I do hardware repairs on both 360's and pcs all the time. You never want to use anything sharp around sensitive electronics, no matter how careful you are there's always a chance you could mess something up. In this case you could scratch the contacts for the usb hub inside your phone, thus degrading usb quality and life.

I personally use q-tips when I don't have any air laying around to use, dipped in a small amount of isopropyl alcohol.

As long as it's powered off and the battery is removed the alcohol won't damage it, just make sure it is completely dry before powering it back on. Wipe out any excess with a qtip and then let it air dry the rest of the way.

Wow this is great thanks. I have a lot of that air at home for my PC so I'll try it out on my phone!
    07-18-2013 11:45 AM
    Wow this is great thanks. I have a lot of that air at home for my PC so I'll try it out on my phone!
    No problem, on an unrelated note I just finished tuning and cleaning a pc for a friend of mine. I was loaded with dust to my eyes. It literally took me 4 hours just to get all the dust off the mb alone. Never mind the cpu/heatsink and other components.

07-18-2013 12:05 PM