Well Sony appear to be looking after their customers...

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I've never understood why Android users expect their operating system to be updated. Nobody promised us that the OS would be updated on a particular schedule, or even updated at all. The idea that a company "owes" us updates strikes me as just ridiculous.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I've never understood why Android users expect their operating system to be updated. Nobody promised us that the OS would be updated on a particular schedule, or even updated at all. The idea that a company "owes" us updates strikes me as just ridiculous.

That is the most absurd thing I have read yet.

You don't buy an operating system like Windows and expect it not to receive updates. The reason being is that BETA testing cannot find every bug. Thus the software goes out to the masses and receives updates as and when 'real world' usage discovers them.

The exact same applies to mobile OS's. Even more so in today's technological age where our mobile phones really are, computers in our pockets. Even back in the early days of smart phones Nokia would push out downlandable software updates and later OTA. No they didn't promise them at point of sale, but they didn't need to, because they were a decent company that ensured it's existing customer base received updates to iron out bugs and improve the customer's experience.

So yes, when I buy a mobile phone now, especially if it's running some form of one of the big three systems, I expect it to be updated, to a finite extent.

Also, it's very naive to have the closed view that just because your device is not experiencing a particular bug, then others should put up and shut up.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
That is the most absurd thing I have read yet.

You don't buy an operating system like Windows and expect it not to receive updates.
So you've received a free update from Windows XP to Windows 7?

I can understand the desire for bug fixes, and that's a reasonable demand of the OS development team. But not upgraded functionality, which is what most people whine about not getting.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

I can understand the desire for bug fixes, and that's a reasonable demand of the OS development team. But not upgraded functionality, which is what most people whine about not getting.

Seems to me most in this thread are complaining about security and bugs. :)

Windows XP was supported for 10 years for bugs and security fixes.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site

No, I received years of updates to each iteration of Windows I've owned. Some which added features, but most just fixed bugs. Your point?

Well not in this thread they haven't.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
No, I received years of updates to each iteration of Windows I've owned. Some which added features, but most just fixed bugs. Your point?
As I said, it's reasonable to look for security threats and actual bugs to be fixed. So what's the security threat that concerns you in the current Samsung Note II OS? What bugs do you experience?

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
As I said, it's reasonable to look for security threats and actual bugs to be fixed. So what's the security threat that concerns you in the current Samsung Note II OS? What bugs do you experience?

Security:

Currently vulnerable to master key bug 9695860.

Bug:

Apps requiring admin rights force TalkBack.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Security:

Currently vulnerable to master key bug 9695860.
You can avoid this vulnerability by refraining from sideloading applications. I understand this is an annoyance, but it can be avoided.

Bug: Apps requiring admin rights force TalkBack.
Not sure what you're saying here.

- - - Updated - - -

Add WiFi bug and clipboard bug to that list.
Could you be a bit more specific? I have no problems using wifi nor the clipboard.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
You can avoid this vulnerability by refraining from sideloading applications. I understand this is an annoyance, but it can be avoided.

Not the point. Should be addressed.

Not sure what you're saying here.

Well known bug, acknowledged by Samsung months ago. Apps that require accessibility settings will trigger TalkBack.

You see a message to that effect on app descriptions across the Play Store. Given that Samsung acknowledged it months ago, would have been nice of them to sort it.

Could you be a bit more specific? I have no problems using wifi nor the clipboard.

Again it's well known. WiFi will hang. You will still appear to have full WiFi bars yet no internet connection. You have to disable and enable WiFi to get it working again. 4.1.2 TouchWiz issue only.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the details on these bugs; none of them has affected me, but that doesn't change the fact that Samsung should be fixing them.

I've owned Samsung, LG and Lenovo Android devices, and the Samsung devices have all been quite bug-free compared to the Lenovo (a short-lived foray into Android for that company that did not go real well for them). I haven't asked much of the LG device so it's hard to say. I hope the Sony stuff exhibits fewer bugs, for their owners' sakes, but they really don't offer any hardware that I find compelling. Each to his own, obviously.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The Note 2 is my first Android device so I don't have any experience with other companies like Sony, LG, HTC, etc. I've heard many bad things about Sony's earlier efforts, but the tune is changing and people are getting back on board with Sony as Sony is finally recognizing that software is a huge part of a device.

Samsung makes some incredible hardware; the Note 2 is a testament to that. The software leads a lot to be desired. Like you said, Samsung (and other companies for that matter) should be fixing these issues. You can have the best hardware on the market, but if the software isn't up to par the hardware doesn't matter much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae