http://feedly.com/k/13BHYDD

An article that summarises my feelings on the "just root it" fandroids typical response for anything.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    alamarco likes this.
    08-02-2013 04:43 PM
    fandroids

Summarizes someone who isn't here to make friends. Subscribed, and willing to close this one in a heartbeat.
    neonworm likes this.
    08-02-2013 05:27 PM
    I think the "just root it" response stems from the many posts we see where a user wants everything to be exactly like they want it out of the box. There is no such thing as the perfect phone out of the box. Rooting/custom roms are a way to make your device exactly how you want it. Rooting is not for everyone but it's a solution when someone expects everything to be perfect out of the box.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    DCounts likes this.
    08-02-2013 05:36 PM
    Well said Ben. My note 2 is everything I want it to be. Rooted running Jedi x 14 rom. Got it all, battery life is crazy good, bloat is gone, and lag is gone. Can't get all of that right out of the box.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    benhmadison likes this.
    08-02-2013 05:58 PM
    I rooted my phone and installed cm10.1 and I'm so happy I did and wish I would have sooner. But I've said it before and I still stand by it that I hate that response "just root it". I know when I had repeated problems with a device and people replied "just root it" it was extremely frustrating.

Rooting and ROMs should always be just an option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    alamarco likes this.
    08-02-2013 06:08 PM
    To me, the reasons not to root are

-can negatively impact warranty
    -can brick the device
    -Can create more security issues.

Now, i know that the likelihood of the above items are not high, but personally, I don't want to deal with it on my daily driver.

Now, on my other devices, I have no problem rooting, particularly because if there is a problem, no big deal, I still have my primary device.

Also, I find less of a reason to root now that you can tether on the stock software and back up app data, which before was the main reasons I wanted to root.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    08-02-2013 07:41 PM
    I agree that rooting is not for everyone, and it should not be done if the user doesn't have an overall idea of what root access is for. However, many times, the "just root it" responses are in response to someone complaining about an update (more times than not, an OS update) that hasn't hit their device yet. For these users, their device probably worked fine out of the box (giving them that "Christmas feel" ), probably works fine now, but just want the latest and greatest. Are they entitled to that desire? Yes. But creating thread, after thread, after thread, and many times being very rude to users who try to offer them any condolence or advice, is not the proper way to go about it. For these users, who aren't happy with anything that isn't the latest, rooting is a very viable option. So while you might not like to hear it, sometimes it IS helpful advice.
    08-02-2013 07:57 PM
    I don't think it's helpful at all to hear "just root it" as most of the time it just doesn't fit the bill.

If a user is asking for features that require root privileges, then suggesting root makes sense. If you need access to protected system files, then you need to root your device.

Updates on the other hand are a different story.The device worked fine out of the box, but as you use it more and more you find more and more bugs. You get more comfortable with the device and discover things aren't working. There should be updates to fix these issues, but there aren't. We shouldn't have to root in order to fix bugs. Since this is a Note 2 thread, I'll use the clipboard bug as an example. When this was first discovered people soon discovered you can fix it by rooting and modifying system files. Soon after the fix was discovered you heard people with the "just root it" line. That's not an acceptable solution. Not only are there a ton of people out there that don't have the knowledge to root their device, but we shouldn't be letting Samsung off the hook so easily.

The same can be said for security holes. You shouldn't have to root your device just to patch holes and exploits that were found.
    08-02-2013 09:43 PM
    I don't think it's helpful at all to hear "just root it" as most of the time it just doesn't fit the bill.

If a user is asking for features that require root privileges, then suggesting root makes sense. If you need access to protected system files, then you need to root your device.

Updates on the other hand are a different story.The device worked fine out of the box, but as you use it more and more you find more and more bugs. You get more comfortable with the device and discover things aren't working. There should be updates to fix these issues, but there aren't. We shouldn't have to root in order to fix bugs. Since this is a Note 2 thread, I'll use the clipboard bug as an example. When this was first discovered people soon discovered you can fix it by rooting and modifying system files. Soon after the fix was discovered you heard people with the "just root it" line. That's not an acceptable solution. Not only are there a ton of people out there that don't have the knowledge to root their device, but we shouldn't be letting Samsung off the hook so easily.

The same can be said for security holes. You shouldn't have to root your device just to patch holes and exploits that were found.
    Note, why I said OS update. I fully believe in bug fixes and security patches.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    08-02-2013 10:54 PM
    I agree that rooting is not for everyone, and it should not be done if the user doesn't have an overall idea of what root access is for. However, many times, the "just root it" responses are in response to someone complaining about an update (more times than not, an OS update) that hasn't hit their device yet. For these users, their device probably worked fine out of the box (giving them that "Christmas feel" ), probably works fine now, but just want the latest and greatest. Are they entitled to that desire? Yes. But creating thread, after thread, after thread, and many times being very rude to users who try to offer them any condolence or advice, is not the proper way to go about it. For these users, who aren't happy with anything that isn't the latest, rooting is a very viable option. So while you might not like to hear it, sometimes it IS helpful advice.
    I think it is also how you say it. Sure, some user may be rude, but another user can take the high ground and explain why to root and what is involved. This would help to de-escalate situations. Although I realize it is easier said than done

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    08-03-2013 12:41 AM