External speaker suddenly not working

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday my Note 2's external speaker suddenly stopped working during the middle of the day. Didn't do anything to damage the phone -- no exposure to water or shock. It was in my hip holster most of the day like usual. I uninstalled a new app and a few apps that updated yesterday to make sure they weren't the problem. Checked all of the sound settings that I could find, but they all looked fine. Rebooted a few times, including once with pulling the battery. No change. The phone also does not play the normal tones while booting up, which makes me think it's not software related. I checked the audio settings using Elixr and the phone seems to think the speaker is working normally -- i.e., it doesn't show as being muted, in silent mode, having a wired headset attached, etc. Audio plays fine through a wired headset and the phone earpiece speaker works fine for phone calls. The only thing out of the ordinary that I've seen with my phone recently is that occasionally a message like "car mode enabled" would pop up when charging even though I haven't done anything to enable any kind of car mode. Not sure what could be causing that or if it's even related. Any suggestions for anything else to check before I contact Verizon for a warranty claim for a broken speaker? I have the extended warranty, so it won't cost anything other than my time to migrate everything to a replacement device. Just want to make sure I don't have to swap for a refurb phone if I don't have to.

SDHarleydad

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue once with my HTC EVO. the service center said that the earphone plug got dust in it or something. They blew it out and then plugged a head set in and out a couple times and it cleared... never had the issue again. Might give it a try

madhu kiran1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I had a same problem with my nexus 4. suddenly stopped working. Tried every thing but after 2 days suddenly started working without doing any thing.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I had to bring my Note 2 back when that happened, they sent me another one. I have not have any problems with my Note 2 since then.

jabranbaig

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
i am having the same problem just the speaker suddenly stooped was doing nothing just it stopped i had the cable problem as well suddenly it started to crack from on end u am use to having apple product now shifted to samsung galaxy note 2 and it after one year use it started to collapse doing all sort of rubbish things curse u Samsung not spending another dime on the thing >>>>>>>>>>>>

slade1style

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to say thank you so much I have been looking all over for a way to get my loud speaker back on and I thought for sure it was the hardware but when I saw y'all post here I said what the heck Ill give it a shot and took the phone backing off and blew through the speaker a few times and nothing happened then I was just about to change this site then all of the sudden it started to react to me touching the screen again and make the sound it is supposed to!! Thank you for such an easy fix!

:D From: Sladeicus

Bobson_A

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Good discussion guys. I wish my problem was that easy. My Goophone 8Core had similar problem. 3 months old (new) external speaker stopped working. All settings are OK. Than noticed that if it is plugged into power it works fine. Rings, can play music, keyboard sounds all good. As soon as you unplug it it just external speaker stops working. Tried to unplug from power while it was playing music, speaker would actually work for a while and than it would stop until I plug it back. Battery is new looking good. Did not have a chance to try new battery, however this is happening regardless if battery is at 20% or 100%.
Unfortunately Goophone guys are not very helpful.
Any ideas are appreciated.

:p

JJ Cross

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have the Same issue and with the same SD Card.. I uninstalled some apps that stopped working on my 8mb SD CARD. Causeing my External Speaker to stop working.....I am Electronics Technician the I did try and look at all Audio Settings. But this is not a Software issue.... At least not with mine.... fix I simply powered my Android off.. then opened the back Blew on the speaker and touched it with my index finger..Why ..I feel this is a grounding problem since its a issue that acts up at will and fixes itself ... So I hope this helps others... My external Speaker is on..

Prem Chandra

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
What should I do if I am experiencing audio issues with my speaker?

After each step please attempt to use the speaker phone.

1. Power the phone off and on.
It is also recommended to remove the battery, wait for 15 seconds and then reinsert the battery and power on the device.

2. If you are using a case or holster, please remove the phone from the case or holster. Some cases or holsters have been known to cover the speaker effecting audio.

3. Increase the speaker volume.

While in a call, touch Speaker.
Increase the volume by selecting the upper volume button on the side of the phone.

4. Make a call without using the speakerphone, wired or bluetooth devices. If the phone can make a call without using the speakerphone without any issue, the problem is with the phone's speaker.

5. Perform a Software Update.

From the home screen touch the home key.
Touch Settings.
Touch About Phone.
Touch System Updates.
If there is a software update available, select update.

6. Perform a Factory Data Reset.

If you continue to experience issues, performing a Factory Data Reset will clear the phones memory and put the phone back to the original factory default state. Factory Data Reset is a tool used to remove everything that was imported, added or installed on the device. Keep in mind, when using this feature; everything is deleted. Nothing stored on the MicroSD will be affected. Your contact and email information is automatically backed up to the Gmail server. Your information will be restored when you login with your user name and a password.

From the screen of your phone, touch the home key.
Touch Settings.
Scroll down and touch Privacy.
Scroll down and touch Factory Data Reset.
Touch Reset Phone.
Touch Erase Everything.
After the phone powers back up, sign in with your Gmail account to restore your phone.

Sammiemends

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
20150411_122237_resized.jpg

Sometimes the copper pieces here get pushed down too far so they do not connect with their counterparts. taking apart the phone is easy..just the battery and a few screws. Careful when prying off the black plastic backing because a thin strip of adhesive is glued to one of the connectors on the logic board. just take a small screw driver or something pointy and carefully lift on the copper "springs" on the daughter board. put it all back together and start up the phone. Hope this helps. =)

Sammie

masadwin

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm very late but I just had this problem today and I was led to this link. I fixed my issue by doing this. Get a friend to call your phone, receive it. and turn the loud speaker on so u can hear his voice on external speaker. if u hear the sound. thats it. its fixed now. check again.
I had the same symptoms. external speaker was detected. but not working. rebooting didnt help either. but this fixed it

Jojobead

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 170853

Sometimes the copper pieces here get pushed down too far so they do not connect with their counterparts. taking apart the phone is easy..just the battery and a few screws. Careful when prying off the black plastic backing because a thin strip of adhesive is glued to one of the connectors on the logic board. just take a small screw driver or something pointy and carefully lift on the copper "springs" on the daughter board. put it all back together and start up the phone. Hope this helps. =)

Sammie

This fixed mine. Thank you a million!

manoj143

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday my Note 2's external speaker suddenly stopped working during the middle of the day. Didn't do anything to damage the phone -- no exposure to water or shock. It was in my hip holster most of the day like usual. I uninstalled a new app and a few apps that updated yesterday to make sure they weren't the problem. Checked all of the sound settings that I could find, but they all looked fine. Rebooted a few times, including once with pulling the battery. No change. The phone also does not play the normal tones while booting up, which makes me think it's not software related. I checked the audio settings using Elixr and the phone seems to think the speaker is working normally -- i.e., it doesn't show as being muted, in silent mode, having a wired headset attached, etc. Audio plays fine through a wired headset and the phone earpiece speaker works fine for phone calls. The only thing out of the ordinary that I've seen with my phone recently is that occasionally a message like "car mode enabled" would pop up when charging even though I haven't done anything to enable any kind of car mode. Not sure what could be causing that or if it's even related. Any suggestions for anything else to check before I contact Verizon for a warranty claim for a broken speaker? I have the extended warranty, so it won't cost anything other than my time to migrate everything to a replacement device. Just want to make sure I don't have to swap for a refurb phone if I don't have to.

Same problem bro

Last edited by a moderator:

Donovyian

Feb 20, 2018
Visit site
Just happened with my momma's Infinix note 4 just had to turn it off remove the back cover, blew the speaker few times..... And turned it on and it's fine now. Thanks to few posts i saw here.

Sheree1x

May 5, 2018
Visit site
My phone sound suddenly stopped working... I tried everything I turned it on off rebooted it everything nothing worked finally found a link that told me the reason why my phone was showing that my headset was in cleaned out the headset and boom my sound started working if that helps anybody clean out your headset opening... I just blew in mind a few times and it worked...

lorijryan

Jul 18, 2018
Visit site
Thank you so much everyone!!!! I never would have believed that blowing through the speaker with my mouth could possibly fix it but it actually did. I am so happy and thank you to everyone on this site!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar