Samsung Note 2 or Samsung Galaxy S4

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I had a note II but found that the LG Optimus G Pro is indeed the better choice and haven't regretted that decision. But if you can wait I suggest you do as you have other devices coming down the pipe here soon.

TheTitan1530

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Tbh I think the note 2 wilk be better for you. I mean most people think that since the s4 has 1.9 ghz snapdragon 600 and is twice as fast as note 2 in benchmark it means thats if I buy a s4 itll be so much faster. Thats completely wrong. All games on the play store will play as smooth on the note 2 as it will on the s4 because there are a billion android devices out there. Not all of them have a quad core, pretty much every app is designed for a dual core at most. Even in 2 years time that will stay true. I really dont see a big difference between s4 and note 2. The s4 runs 1080 p which is awesome but compared to note 2 I dont see a huge difference because the s4 uses pentile display while the note 2 uses non pentile display which believe me makes a difference. The note 2 will also easily get you through a day. Ive gotten 8 hours screen time with the device and I still had 10% left abd it was without turning power saving mode on. Texting with one hand is also easy with the note 2 because it has a one hand operation option but something like reaching for the notification bar is quiet challenging. If you really want the features such as smart scroll or if u want a really good camera than get the s4 but however if you dont care about the features and are okay with a note 2 sized phone then hands down this is the best phone you'll buy for a long time.

Posted via Android Central App

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think what I am going to do is go to best buy and try out the note for 30 days and see how i like walking around with a gigantic phone in my pocket. If i do I am just going to buy an s4 and sell it on ebay with my iphone to buy the note 3.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
When I had a note I would put it my back jeans pocket when I was out and about. Then one day I noticed a pair of very very faint scratches on the screen. I decided no more putting my phone in my pocket...and I had to sell it (it was no longer flawless).

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The S4's Camera isn't that much better then the Note 2's. The real difference is the software. As we all know it's not about the mega pixels.

I would say the Note 2 is a better device then the S4. It's has much better battery life and the screen is better on the Note 2. Because we also know PPI doesn't mean all that much either. It's more about the quality of the display.

The Note 2 is a very good device. Out of all the top devices it's overall rating is the best.

The only thing I'm pissed off over is Samsung with there BS updates. And the fact that Samsung will put there marketing before there customer's.

Like the fact that the Note 2 isn't getting updated for a year. The Note 2 was released with Android 4.1 and will not see an update from that until after the Note 3 is released.

And it's because of marketing we are not getting 4.2 or 4.3 and Touch-Wiz 2.0 UI, The new Camera, all of the new Touch-Wiz and Android features. The new S-voice, ect, ect.

All so Samsung can say the Note 3 will have these features while the Note 2 won't until the Note 3 is released and maybe far after that.

By July we were supposed to get the update. Now it seems Samsung is skipping 4.2.2 and going right to 4.3 both versions of Android are very similar. It's all the cool Samsung stuff we are going to be missing out on the most.

Basically Samsung is going to deny there customers that own there current flagship device all of what the update would bring. Just so Samsung can sel market the Note 3 with more options.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The S4's Camera isn't that much better then the Note 2's. The real difference is the software. As we all know it's not about the mega pixels.

I would say the Note 2 is a better device then the S4. It's has much better battery life and the screen is better on the Note 2. Because we also know PPI doesn't mean all that much either. It's more about the quality of the display.

The Note 2 is a very good device. Out of all the top devices it's overall rating is the best.

The only thing I'm pissed off over is Samsung with there BS updates. And the fact that Samsung will put there marketing before there customer's.

Like the fact that the Note 2 isn't getting updated for a year. The Note 2 was released with Android 4.1 and will not see an update from that until after the Note 3 is released.

And it's because of marketing we are not getting 4.2 or 4.3 and Touch-Wiz 2.0 UI, The new Camera, all of the new Touch-Wiz and Android features. The new S-voice, ect, ect.

All so Samsung can say the Note 3 will have these features while the Note 2 won't until the Note 3 is released and maybe far after that.

By July we were supposed to get the update. Now it seems Samsung is skipping 4.2.2 and going right to 4.3 both versions of Android are very similar. It's all the cool Samsung stuff we are going to be missing out on the most.

Basically Samsung is going to deny there customers that own there current flagship device all of what the update would bring. Just so Samsung can sel market the Note 3 with more options.

Interesting, though unique, opinion.

marcher22

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Im going to paste here what I said to someone last month when I first purchased the Note 2:

If you never owned any android before I think going with Note might be a huge jump for you. The s4 might feel a bit more "familiar" if youve had experience with other cell phones.

I was in your situation but chose the Note 2 over the S4 because it has better battery life, a really nifty stylus and I like to read and I found that it was much harder to read on the s4. Watching videos in my opinion are more enjoyable on the note 2. I don't own a tablet but I feel like the Note 2 is great tablet and phone combination. A lot of games and apps are just nicer on the bigger, brighter screen. The cameras on the note 2 are really good for video and pictures. Ever since I got my note 2 Ive barely used my lapto.

Dont get me wrong, the S4 does have its strong points too. Its lighter, easier to hold , has a better camera than the note 2 and the display is really sharp. Sending quick texts, or going on a run would be much more suitable with an S4. Same with making phone calls or pocketing the device. For a lot of people the battery life would suffice on an S4.

If you want something smaller, light and portable I think the s4 would be better. If you want an overall better entertainment experience plus awesome battery life and a pen thats great for notes , typing and games id go with a Note 2. Obviously the Note 3 will be better than a note 2 but trust me..this phone is awesome and if you can handle its size , im sure you'll fall in love with it.

Edit: After owning the phone for a month:
The note 2 is still an awesome phone. Its battery life is probably my favorite thing and since I dont have a tablet, reading and watching videos are quite enjoyable on this larger screen. The speakers are nice , and the camera is more than good enough for pictures and video and the S pen is great to use from time to time and in addition to the phone's size it really makes the Note 2 standout. Like I said earlier the note 2 for me is like having a tablet and phone in one.

Do I regret my decision? Not at all. The S4 is nice but I couldn't really tell much of a difference from my friends' S3. The note 2s size can be annoying at times ( like when working out, or with pants with shallow pockets) but I still like it.

Sent from my Note 2

Sent from my Note 2

jpriest007

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Both are excellent phones. But based on what you want to use your phone for I think the Note 2 would be the better option. I went from a Droid X to the Note 2. Once you get used to it you'll wonder how you ever got along with the old smaller phones.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the Note 2 is defiantly the best device you can get. It will be until the middle of 2014.

I've said this before. The Note 2 is a great phone and the price for what you get is unbeatable.

The main reason I believe the Note 2 is the best phone you can get and will be for so long is because technology is moving so fast. You could go out and buy a new phone every 3 to 6 month's, or you could get the Note 2.

The Note 2 is going to receive Android 4.3 and that will bring allot of great new features. But mainly it will receive Touch-Wiz 2.0 and all of the great new features that we want and could also care less about.

The good features being a mix of Android 4.3 updates like better Quad-Core processor usage. That meaning it will use the processor much better. When it needs only 1 core it will only use 1 core. It will clock itself to only what it needs for any given task. That equals better battery life. It will also be better optimized for RAM. Only the things that need to run in the background will. Basicly stuff like that from the Android part of the update. Among many other optimizations.

Then there will be the Touch-Wiz side of the update. Thing's like better toggle control. Setting's will be easier to get to.
The new a Camera feature's, basically everything the S4 can do with its camera the Note 2 will be able to do. There will be better display settings, ect. There will be a new look to Touch-Wiz as well as it will run much better.

Then one of the things we have all been waiting for moving app's to you're SD card. That will allow us to have much more games on our device.

Allot of these updates where coming in 4.2.2 but it seems Samsung is pushing that to the side and we are going right to 4.3 and that's fine with me. I just hate that we are going to have to wait until the end of the year, if not next year for an update we were supposed to get by July...

As I said the reason we are waiting so long is due to the soon to be lunched Note 3.

Samsung would rather market there Note 3 with these feature's. That way they won't just have to rely on hardwire to market there Note 3. They will be able to say the Note 3 can do these thing's that the Note 2 can't do and that's why you should buy it BS..

In realty the Note 2 should be getting this update before the Note 3 is released. That way Samsung could at least say there flagship device "The Note 2" got at least one update since it's release not even a year ago.

This is my number one reason I'm not going to buy the Note 3. I'll wait for the Note 4 since then it will be a real update. Not just a little bigger display and a little faster hardware.

Knowing what it feels like to own Samsungs flagship device and not getting any updates just suck's.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Note 2 and it truly is the best device you can get. Im just not happy with Samsung in general.
Them pushing the Note 2 update to the side so they can market there next flagship device is wrong in every way possible.

I wish I were wrong. And Samsung releases the update this month. It's just not going to happen as they are hardly working on it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I had a Note 2 and its not a bad device at all. It merges the tablet and phone. Now, if it had a high-res screen, hmm.... I upgraded to the S4 and this Note 8 instead (both were $450 total on contract). This way when I only need a palmtop that's all I have and when I want a great tablet I have one. I don't agree that the Note 2 is the best device (yet we know it is good indeed), it depends on what you want.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not trying to answer for everyone here. Just that so far, it seems 90% of Note 2 owner's are just going to wait it out another year. The Note 4 will be the real upgrade.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not trying to answer for everyone here. Just that so far, it seems 90% of Note 2 owner's are just going to wait it out another year. The Note 4 will be the real upgrade.

Edit, it's really not even another year if you think about the whole hype bs. It would be more like waiting 6 months.. I still haven't seen the design of the Note 3 but if it's like the S4 and not the new 2.0 design, that will be all the more reason to skip it. Tech is just moving to fast and in a year things will be way different.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, we haven't really seen the Note 3 yet. What is everyone hoping for. For me, when I had a Note 2, the only thing I really wanted was a higher res screen and a decent amount of on-board storage. It was certainly fast enough for me. If the Note 3 corrects these 2 issues I'd be excited.

Sent from my humble S4

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Edit, it's really not even another year if you think about the whole hype bs. It would be more like waiting 6 months.. I still haven't seen the design of the Note 3 but if it's like the S4 and not the new 2.0 design, that will be all the more reason to skip it. Tech is just moving to fast and in a year things will be way different.

What's the 2.0 design? I hope it's less plastic and no creaky battery doors.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to but I'm not due for an upgrade for a long time.....lol

Well, you got the right device to be in for awhile. I do have a upgrade available right now, but everything out hardly make it worth upgrading. Note 2 does it well. With the rgb layout, screen is gorgeous. The quad exynos has no proc issues with lte. I am a happy camper.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Well, you got the right device to be in for awhile. I do have a upgrade available right now, but everything out hardly make it worth upgrading. Note 2 does it well. With the rgb layout, screen is gorgeous. The quad exynos has no proc issues with lte. I am a happy camper.

Agreed.

I bought my Note 2 off eBay for cheap and I have to say that it's been amazing! I was a bit put off by the size at first but I got used to it pretty quickly. It does everything I want it to do and more! My friends poke fun at me for the size until I tell them how long my battery lasts :p

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Agreed.

I bought my Note 2 off eBay for cheap and I have to say that it's been amazing! I was a bit put off by the size at first but I got used to it pretty quickly. It does everything I want it to do and more! My friends poke fun at me for the size until I tell them how long my battery lasts :p

I was in Denver last week for work related stuff. I dont remember how many "jeez that phone is huge compliments" I received, but they ran with that, and when I showed them my battery level late in the day they awed:D its kinda hard being d o double g y. Lol.:)

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm due for an upgrade right now. I'm just not going to buy the Note 3. I'm going to hold off for the Note 4.

The Note 2 is still a very high end Device. It's great in every way. I seen pictures of the Note 3 and it looks like a bigger S4.

So we know the Note 3 isn't going to have the new design. I also don't think it's worth upgrading to if you have the Note 2.

The Note 3 will be released next month. If you wait another 9 month's the Note 4 hype will start. It will also blow away the Phone's of this year. I'm not saying the Note 3 is a bad choice. I'm just saying if you have the Note 2, I would stick with it. And wait for a big upgrade. Just think of the hardware the Note 4 is going to have.

If you're the kind of person that doesn't really use there phone much and has it more as an accessory. Then I'm sure you'll be getting the Note 3 so you can brag about having it.

I've ran into allot of people that are like that. That's the only reason I brought it up.

If the Note 3 has a RGB display then that will be very cool indeed. But really, my Note 2's display is better then my eye's..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power