Note 2 or S4? Opinions please.

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I use to have a note 2. I've since upgraded to the s4. While I like the s4 I find myself still thinking about the note 2. What's keeping me from switching back. I really like the screen resolution and the 13 megapixel camera. All the extra features in the camera or all the gestures I rarely use. Its been a while since I had my note. So how is the resolution and the camera on the note 2 compare to the s4? Any opinions are appreciated b

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
You had a Note 2 and now have an S4 but are asking us how the Note 2 compares to the S4? Wouldn't you be the one to answer your own question? I guess I don't see the point of this thread.

G_The_One

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I use to have a note 2. I've since upgraded to the s4. While I like the s4 I find myself still thinking about the note 2. What's keeping me from switching back. I really like the screen resolution and the 13 megapixel camera. All the extra features in the camera or all the gestures I rarely use. Its been a while since I had my note. So how is the resolution and the camera on the note 2 compare to the s4? Any opinions are appreciated b

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

You have hae both devices - surely you can tell us the difference.

On paper the resolution on the S4 is higher than that on the Note II but then the S4 has a pentile arrangement versus the RGB on the Note II. The S4's camera also seems better than the Note II (on paper) again

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had a Note 2 (great phone, I had it for a while) and now an S4. I love my S4, I really do. When I let go of the Note 2 I got this S4 and my Note 8.0. ...and that's the gist of it. Do you have a separate tablet or are you planning to get one? If so, then you may want to lean towards the smaller S4...if not the Note 2 makes a nice compromise between phone and tablet. I just didn't want to compromise and enjoy having both a tablet and a phone.

The S4's screen is majestic (if not perfect). The Note 2's is nice...but a higher res for the larger size would have been appropriate too. The Note 2 is bigger...heavier. Consider that. If it will be the only device I'd go with the Note 3 (it doesn't seem to make the most sense to get a Note 2, at this point, unless it's heavily discounted).

Sent from my humble S4

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Note 2 is much better then the S4. The Note 2 is in a league of its own. I'm not going to be getting the Note 3. I'll wait a few more months and get the Note 4. Unless the US version of the Note 3 has the new Octa-Core then I might consider it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Note 2 is much better then the S4. The Note 2 is in a league of its own. I'm not going to be getting the Note 3. I'll wait a few more months and get the Note 4. Unless the US version of the Note 3 has the new Octa-Core then I might consider it.

What, precisely, is much better about the Note 2 than the S4. Lower res screen? More pocketable? Lighter? Faster processor? Better GPU? Newer version of Android? Better camera? Better camera software?

Sent from my humble S4

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The Note 2 has a better display then the S4. It also has a great processor. The GPU will handle any mobile game with ease. Oh and not to mention the S-Pen, it makes thing's that you could barely do on a phone as simple as pie. It's also great for photo editing. And just jotting down quick notes during a call or when you're using split screen and need to take notes from a video or website it comes in handy. There is just unlimited possibilities of use of the S-Pen.

The Note 2 is a great phone all around. It also has much better battery life then the S4. And again about the lower res screen. Due to the Note 2 using the standard RGB pixel layout. The Note 2 has a better screen then the S4.

Most people don't know that because they are close minded and those are the best consumer's.. People that see an ad on TV and fall for marketing that isn't even the full truth about a product. I don't know why people don't study the product they are going to buy before they buy it.

I'm still on the fence about the Note 3. Right now I'm not going to buy it. The main reason is I'm not sure about the screen. If it has a pentile display like the S4 then there's no way I'm going to get the Note 3. I'm also waiting to see about the processor the US version gets. If it's not the Octa-Core I'll wait another 10 months and go for the Note 4. Right now processors don't mean a whole lot. Even the US version Samsung Galaxy S3's Snapdragon S4 dual core processor is going to be fine for the next year or so.

But if you look at what's to come. It's pointless power that just uses more battery. That's why I was bumming out about the Note 3 having different version's. Yeah the Snapdragon 800 is powerful but it's not needed. I would rather have a phone with the new Octa-Core processor. Since you get all the power you need and the lower clocked 4 cores of the Octa-Core for standby, background and app's that don't need much power to run. As most people know the Octa-Core is made for power and battery life.

Most of the new high end phones use the S800 but I just don't see the point. I know it's supposed to do good with power management but I would still go for the new Octa-Core if I had the choice.

Anyway. I don't get why people want to fight about who has the best phone anyway. I think as long a you're on Android you have a good phone.

I think anyone with at just an S2 or better is good to go. Even the first Note is a good phone. Only thing about it is it's pentile. But at the time it was damn good and it's still fine to this day.

Let's just be happy with our phones and be happy we can have this kind of power in our pockets. There are people that don't even own a computer.

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
So can you tell the difference in a RGB display compared to a pentile display as on the s4. Even though the s4 is 1080p?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So can you tell the difference in a RGB display compared to a pentile display as on the s4. Even though the s4 is 1080p?

I guess if you have much much much much much much much much much much mch much muc much much much much better vision than 20/20 you may see something somewhere in the Note 2's screen that is better. I had both phones for over a week and to my, perhaps flawed, eyes the S4's display was clearly (pardon the pun) superior. Much sharper, noticeably. However, the Note 2's slightly greenish tint wouldn't have been noticable if not comparing it to something else. You need to see for yourself and not take anyone's word for it. Do a side by side comparison, that's what I did.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The Note 2 has a better display then the S4. It also has a great processor. The GPU will handle any mobile game with ease. Oh and not to mention the S-Pen, it makes thing's that you could barely do on a phone as simple as pie. It's also great for photo editing. And just jotting down quick notes during a call or when you're using split screen and need to take notes from a video or website it comes in handy. There is just unlimited possibilities of use of the S-Pen.

The Note 2 is a great phone all around. It also has much better battery life then the S4. And again about the lower res screen. Due to the Note 2 using the standard RGB pixel layout. The Note 2 has a better screen then the S4.

Most people don't know that because they are close minded and those are the best consumer's.. People that see an ad on TV and fall for marketing that isn't even the full truth about a product. I don't know why people don't study the product they are going to buy before they buy it.

I'm still on the fence about the Note 3. Right now I'm not going to buy it. The main reason is I'm not sure about the screen. If it has a pentile display like the S4 then there's no way I'm going to get the Note 3. I'm also waiting to see about the processor the US version gets. If it's not the Octa-Core I'll wait another 10 months and go for the Note 4. Right now processors don't mean a whole lot. Even the US version Samsung Galaxy S3's Snapdragon S4 dual core processor is going to be fine for the next year or so.

But if you look at what's to come. It's pointless power that just uses more battery. That's why I was bumming out about the Note 3 having different version's. Yeah the Snapdragon 800 is powerful but it's not needed. I would rather have a phone with the new Octa-Core processor. Since you get all the power you need and the lower clocked 4 cores of the Octa-Core for standby, background and app's that don't need much power to run. As most people know the Octa-Core is made for power and battery life.

Most of the new high end phones use the S800 but I just don't see the point. I know it's supposed to do good with power management but I would still go for the new Octa-Core if I had the choice.

Anyway. I don't get why people want to fight about who has the best phone anyway. I think as long a you're on Android you have a good phone.

I think anyone with at just an S2 or better is good to go. Even the first Note is a good phone. Only thing about it is it's pentile. But at the time it was damn good and it's still fine to this day.

Let's just be happy with our phones and be happy we can have this kind of power in our pockets. There are people that don't even own a computer.

Nonsense.

The Octa Core version gets WORSE battery life than the Quad Core version.

OCTA CORE is a gimmick.

I live in Thailand and the only versions we can get are the Octa Core versions. I will never get one of those. The octa core S4 has been plagued with overheating and battery drain.

u7CesFa.jpg

Last edited:

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Pentile displays are not as good as RGB displays. That's just how it is. I know your trying to back up you're S4' display but it's a fact man.. If it wasn't a fact it could be debatable but facts are indeed facts.

As for Octa-Core. They are not a gimmick. You do get better battery life and it's been proven. Android OS is getting better with quad core processor's. Managing the power and putting the processor in a low power state when and using more power when needed.. So it's a work in progress and in the long run. Octa-Core might be the best solution. As it is right now. Samsung's new Octa-Core is even better then the last version. And as I said, Octa-Core procs do indeed give better battery life. Despite the issues they have had with the early version's... Im not saying they are perfect but they are getting better.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Pentile displays are not as good as RGB displays. That's just how it is. I know your trying to back up you're S4' display but it's a fact man.. If it wasn't a fact it could be debatable but facts are indeed facts.

This is true and if the resolution were the same it'd be applicable. In my experience doing a side-by-side comparison the S4's display looks better than the Note 2's...its sharper and doesn't have the greenish tint the Note 2's had. We're not gonna agree though, which is fine. Folks have to look at the displays and judge for themselves what looks better to their eyes.

Last edited:

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
This is true and if he resolution were the same it'd be applicable. In my experience doing a side-by-side comparison the S4's display looks better than the Note 2's...its sharper and doesn't have the greenish tint the Note 2's had. We're not gonna agree though, which is fine. Folks have to look at the displays and judge for themselves what looks better to their eyes.

You're comparing a 1080p screen with a 720p screen. One is larger, fewer pixel density and the other is smaller with a higher pixel density.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am very pleased with my Note2. There is always going to be a new device in the midst to shake things up. I see myself with this device for a long time. I don't care about early upgrades unless it was causing me problems. Ppl should be happy with what they haven young ppl today are too wrapped up with what they have and what they want. If it works well. Be happy. There are far more important issues today. Why does an 8 yr old have a smartphone? I saw that today. Unreal.

sent from my amazing Note2

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I am very pleased with my Note2. There is always going to be a new device in the midst to shake things up. I see myself with this device for a long time. I don't care about early upgrades unless it was causing me problems. Ppl should be happy with what they haven young ppl today are too wrapped up with what they have and what they want. If it works well. Be happy. There are far more important issues today. Why does an 8 yr old have a smartphone? I saw that today. Unreal.

sent from my amazing Note2

You are so correct. Really. My old S4 and Note 8.0 don't really need an upgrade...but gadgets I do love.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995