batteries not charging....

damillatime

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So a week or two ago I had an issue come up where one of my batteries stopped getting a full charge. I first noticed on the white Samsung external charger where the charging light would be red for about 5 minutes and then would start flashing orange. Then I tried charging the battery in the phone overnight. It would only get to 41 percent in 7 or 8 hours. I have a second battery, of course, and that continued to charge without any issues in both the external charger and in the phone. Last night I started to have the same problem with my second battery. This morning when I woke up my battery was not fully charged. I tried charging in external charger and again I got the orange flashing light after about 5 minutes.
My batteries do not appear to be swollen and this, to me, clearly isn't an issue with the phones charging port otherwise I wouldn't be having an issue charging in the external charger. Also, the fact that it happened to two batteries that I've had for just coming up on a year, with a week or two in between leads me to believe it's an inherent problem with the batteries.
Anyone else experience this problem or hear anything about it? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Kyle

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So a week or two ago I had an issue come up where one of my batteries stopped getting a full charge. I first noticed on the white Samsung external charger where the charging light would be red for about 5 minutes and then would start flashing orange. Then I tried charging the battery in the phone overnight. It would only get to 41 percent in 7 or 8 hours. I have a second battery, of course, and that continued to charge without any issues in both the external charger and in the phone. Last night I started to have the same problem with my second battery. This morning when I woke up my battery was not fully charged. I tried charging in external charger and again I got the orange flashing light after about 5 minutes.
My batteries do not appear to be swollen and this, to me, clearly isn't an issue with the phones charging port otherwise I wouldn't be having an issue charging in the external charger. Also, the fact that it happened to two batteries that I've had for just coming up on a year, with a week or two in between leads me to believe it's an inherent problem with the batteries.
Anyone else experience this problem or hear anything about it? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Kyle

I would be tempted to try a new battery anyway. Just because the batteries aren't swollen doesn't mean they are below voltage and can't hold their charge.

rgarcia900

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I'll say you are still within warranty since the Note II was released in November.
Have them replaced for free by Samsung or your wireless provider.
Is it possible that the external charger went south and burned the batteries?
What ever you want to do, do it now. You might be out of warranty soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app

damillatime

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. It seems that it's a problem with the USB cable. I switched it out and got 85 percent charged in external charger in an hour. It's still weird to me that the problem seemed to have started with one battery and didn't affect the other until a week later.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. It seems that it's a problem with the USB cable. I switched it out and got 85 percent charged in external charger in an hour. It's still weird to me that the problem seemed to have started with one battery and didn't affect the other until a week later.

Awesome!! Didn't think of the cable. Thanks for posting the follow up. See you in the forums!

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

ComradeZ

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Your Note 2's charging IC is broken. Mine did the same thing as yours before the IC circuit went flakey. I replaced the USB daughter board / charging port and it does the same thing.

Try using an external battery charger, thats how I'm stuck mitigating the same crap problem as you. Phone does not charge the battery or get proper current if the IC is toast.

Get rid of it or get warranty repair. There is no help for you here as it's a hardware problem.

Rajesh Srinivasan1

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site

Thanks a ton pal. I was struggling with the same problem when I read your post and tried changing the USB cable. It worked like a charm!

Leadcap

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Same thing.. One battery would flash orange, the other was fine, changed usb, and all seems fine. Weird, that one would charge and the other wouldnt! Y I didn't even think about that. Thanks for the update, or I might still be thinking it was the battery!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12