Hello all,

As you would expect, and android phone shoud work perfectly with gmail. exept it doesn't for me.

I manage all the phones of my company : an Iphone 4S, a galaxy S3 and a galaxy note 2
    we have a gmail address with a google apps account.

the iphone works perfectly in pop, it dowloads all the emails when they arrive and when we delete them on the phone it doesn't delete them on the server
    It's a different story for the S3 and note 2

I linked them to our account using pop, but there is still a sync with the server and I cannot find a way to cancel it !!

when someone deletes an email on the phone, it deletes it also on the server and on the other android phone(and yes, on the phone I activated the option "when an email is deleted on the phone, keep it forever on the server")

when someone reads an email on the S3, the email appears alreary read on the note 2

if there is no solution we will have to go back to the iphone and I hate the idea !
    does someone know a way ??

10-15-2013 09:04 AM
    stop using an antiquated protocol like POP. use the Gmail app if you want tight seamless integration.
    10-15-2013 09:29 AM
    gmail syncs the emails with the server and this is what I don't want.

We are 4 using the same adress and someone deleting the emails on his phone and at the same time on the server is not great
    10-15-2013 09:38 AM
    gmail syncs the emails with the server and this is what I don't want.

We are 4 using the same adress and someone deleting the emails on his phone and at the same time on the server is not great
    perhaps you could set up 4 new email addresses and have automatic forwarding set up on the 1 primary address to be sent to the other 4. this way all emails sent to the 1 primary email address will automatically be forwarded to the other 4 and even if one person deletes an email - it will not be deleted from the other 3 phones. i think this is the smarter way to do it rather than the kludge you are currently attempting. good luck.

10-15-2013 09:50 AM
    yes I think it should work but each email adress costs something per month and I can't believe pop works perfectly on the iphone and not on android.
    10-15-2013 10:28 AM
    When you did the email setup, did you do the auto easy setup or the manual setup? You probably have to do the manual setup to uncheck the option to sync with server. Another thing you could do is to setup a gmail account to fetch your pop server email with "leave the email on server" option checked. And then you just use gmail on your phone. It is actually a better way because you let the gmail server do the pop3 fetch and your phone only have to sync with gmail. It will save you battery to do a pop3 fetch every 5 minutes or whatever interval you set it at.
    10-15-2013 12:26 PM
    I am assuming you are using the default email app. Have you checked your Inbox settings? There is a setting to keep emails on the server. From your Inbox, press the Menu button and select Settings. Go down near the bottom to find Incoming Settings. The last option is 'Delete email from server'. Set to 'Never'.

I don't use the default email app. I use AquaMail, so I cannot tell you if this works or not, but it should. I read my email on my desktop and my phone. I have my phone set to never delete emails, and my desktop email app to leave on the server for 7 days. This way my phone has a chance to read my emails and emails automatically deleted from the server so I do not fill up my inbox on the server. I have not had an issue yet.
    10-15-2013 01:02 PM