4.3 for the Note 2

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Thing is that it's the reason why note 2 will be my last Samsung cell phone. As much as I like my note 2, it's not acceptable to me that it takes this long to get the update.

Kitkat is around the corner and I'm getting the old update after the new update. Also, I suspect that I'll be lucky to get kitkat for note 2 before getting cut off.

Compared to how Apple and Google handles their updates, it's unacceptable and frustrating to me.

You're confusing what Google does with what the manufacturers and carriers do. Remember that Google releases the OS version to the manufacturers; and they, in turn work with all the various carriers to which they supply phones to create the customized versions. Just exactly how long do you think that takes? Have you ever actually managed a serious commercial team of $120,000-per-year programmers? You expect Google to release the OS version one month and for Samsung and AT&T (or Sprint, or Verizon, or whomever is one's carrier) to have the customized version ready the next month? Do you really think that's reasonable? Hmmm?

This stuff takes time. And both Samsung and the carrier are support MANY different phones... each one requiring its own customized version of whatever is the OS version. That we see a carrier-issued upgrade within even six months of when Google first releases it to phone makers is a miracle.

It has nothing to do with Samsung versus any other carrier. They all have their delays. Things, again, take time.

Be reasonable.

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not asking for every day update. Rather I want the assurance that my device won't be outdated not because the hardware is outdated but the manufacturers deserted it. Yes I agree that Google is fine but Samsung sucks @$$.

And in precisely what way is OS version 4.1.2 Jelly Bean "outdated?" And what in the world makes you think that the Note II is "deserted."

You're living in the real world, right? Just checking.

Manufacturers don't "desert" or abandon phones. They have parts for them, and can replair and/or replace them for YEARS after they're made. The reason they stop updating the US versions on them is because as OS version numbers get higher, so, too, do the hardware requirements to successfully (and that's the operative word) run them. The Samsung Captivate, for example, got updated to 2.3 Gingerbread and no higher not because anyone abandoned or "deserted" it. Rather, it started becoming unreasonable to run any OS version higher than 2.3 Gingerbread on it. By the time my wife finally retired hers just this past May (2013), normal apps that run fine on my Note II -- in fact, they were running fine on my original Note, and my Infuse 4G before that -- were slowing her Captivate to a literal crawl. Both OS versions and apps just keep getting bigger and bigger; and require more processor speed and more RAM to run. The phone gets left behind by technology, not abandoned or "deserted."

The Note II, running 4.1.2, is very current. Version 4.2 was intentionally bypassed. Version 4.3 is just around the corner. There's been talk, since July, of including the Note II even in the 5.0 Key Lime Pie update. What in the world more could you possibly want?

Nothing ever being fast enough, and new enough, is a classic sign of immaturity... and inexperience. Get a clue.

You really need to become an HTC user, so you can see what a phone maker that "sucks @$$" actually looks like.

Last edited:

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
November it is.

No, it isn't.

November 20 is when we will be getting 4.3 update.

No, we won't.

Again, mid- to late-November is, indeed, when some parts of the world will begin to see 4.3 for certain Samsung devices start to roll-out. The S4, for example, is way ahead of the Note II. Version 4.3 for the Note II is going to be in December...

...but even then, for those subject to the delays of the big carriers, like AT&T, the wait could be even longer.

That said, the thing that's happening with the 4.3 upgrade and at least certain devices is that version 4.3, on some devices, will bring the ability of the device to interact with Galaxy Gear devices...

...and both Samsung and all the big carriers would like that capability rolled-out to all device intended to get it by Christmas. For that reason -- and pretty much that reason, alone -- the 4.3 upgrade even to the Note II may come more quickly then ever before with any other upgrade. Time will tell, of course; but even Samsung has said that the Note II is behind nearly all other Galaxy-Gear-compatible devices to get the 4.3 update; and mid- to late-December is when the Note II is slated to finally have a 4.3 upgrade ready from Samsung...

...but who knows if the carrier versions will be ready at that time, also; or if there will be yet another delay beyond that. Since even AT&T wants Galaxy Gear compatibility by Christmas, this one time that an upgrade is being made available by Google and Samsung, AT&T may be ready almost at the same time... and Rogers, and Verizon, and Sprint, and T-Mobile, etc. They all want Galaxy Gear compatibility in time for the Christmas buying season; and so 4.3 may, bygod, be ready for all Note II's pretty much everywhere in the next 60 or so days. I say don't hold your breath, but it's possible.

However, while some of you may think that's a good thing, I say it's a recipe for disaster. AT&T and the other big carriers take how long they take to release an OS upgrade for a reason! It take time to debug these things. A carrier OS version is not merely the Google + phone maker's version, but with bloatware added. The carrier's version is profoundly invasive to the carrier + phone maker's version... huge changes... much programming. And AT&T has demonstrated, several times in the past, that when it rushes an OS version to market before it's really ready, it screws it up. Just ask Samsung Galaxy Infuse 4G owners (of which I was one) what happened with the first 2.3 Gingerbread upgrade from AT&T. It got yanked in not even a week; and we waited seemingly forever for the finally-fixed version to be released.

Samsung Galaxy Note II users -- especially those who have stock, carrier-provided-and-maintained phones -- need to be realistic... and reasonable.

Again: These things take time! Be patient. It will come... and better later, after the carriers have actually gotten it right...

...because, take it from someone who has had a not-really-ready-yet Android OS upgrade pushed to his phone: It's a nightmare.

Just relax, everyone. It'll come. In the meantime, 4.1.2 is perfectly fine. Those who think it isn't are living in some kind of weird, unrealistic-expectations dream world.

Last edited:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
You're confusing what Google does with what the manufacturers and carriers do. Remember that Google releases the OS version to the manufacturers; and they, in turn work with all the various carriers to which they supply phones to create the customized versions. Just exactly how long do you think that takes? Have you ever actually managed a serious commercial team of $120,000-per-year programmers? You expect Google to release the OS version one month and for Samsung and AT&T (or Sprint, or Verizon, or whomever is one's carrier) to have the customized version ready the next month? Do you really think that's reasonable? Hmmm?

This stuff takes time. And both Samsung and the carrier are support MANY different phones... each one requiring its own customized version of whatever is the OS version. That we see a carrier-issued upgrade within even six months of when Google first releases it to phone makers is a miracle.

It has nothing to do with Samsung versus any other carrier. They all have their delays. Things, again, take time.

Be reasonable.

This AC article explains it all quite well IMO, in particular the part about "Update anxiety" that is so common in these types of threads (excerpt below, bolded part by me! :) Highly recommend reading the entire article though! Very good info on the Android update process.): Why you'll never have the latest version of Android | Android Central

"As updates become more common, and consumers become more tech-savvy, there?s an increasing awareness that devices can be updated, and an expectation that they should be updated. With that comes a sort of ?update anxiety.? If you?ve dropped by any smartphone message board, such as our own forums or XDA?s, you?ll know what we mean by this. Threads abound asking when ICS, or Jelly Bean, will be available for certain devices. In the event of delayed or even canceled updates, Internet denizens swear they?ll never buy another phone from that manufacturer or carrier again. It?s an entirely negative ownership experience.

While this isn?t representative of the entire user base -- not by far -- it?s an example of how many power users experience Android smartphones. They?re always behind the curve, always waiting on an update, never fully enjoying the product that they?ve bought as they?ve bought it. Part of that is the fault of the tech press -- we?re always focused on what?s new, and that means talking about software that hasn?t yet reached most folks."

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This AC article explains it all quite well IMO, in particular the part about "Update anxiety" that is so common in these types of threads (excerpt below, bolded part by me! :) Highly recommend reading the entire article though! Very good info on...
[SNIP FOR BREVITY]
...behind the curve, always waiting on an update, never fully enjoying the product that they’ve bought as they’ve bought it. Part of that is the fault of the tech press -- we’re always focused on what’s new, and that means talking about software that hasn’t yet reached most folks."

Exactly! What Synycalwon said!

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
No, it isn't.

No, we won't.

As much as I wish I had time to read your long winded posts, I personally care not for your American carrier variants of 4.3.

Unless you have insider information, you cannot confirm or deny as a factual statement when we will or won't. You're guessing as much as the next person, you just bulk out your argument to make it look good, but you don't "know". We can all read articles and make assumptions.

As I said, I still believe "my" Note II will be rocking 4.3 before December. Again, we're not all living the American dream.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
As much as I wish I had time to read your long winded posts, I personally care not for your American carrier variants of 4.3.

Unless you have insider information, you cannot confirm or deny as a factual statement when we will or won't. You're guessing as much as the next person, you just bulk out your argument to make it look good, but you don't "know". We can all read articles and make assumptions.

As I said, I still believe "my" Note II will be rocking 4.3 before December. Again, we're not all living the American dream.

Yet you won't put your money where your mouth is. Ten bucks to the favorite charity of the winner. Put-up, or shut-up.

ADDED THE NEXT DAY: Time is my friend on this one. When the update has taken longer for most people than they're thinking it's going to take, I'm going to look downright prophetic! [grin] And, if not, then one thing that even my ex-wife used to like about me is that I wear it when I'm wrong; so I'll be back here to say you all were right and I wasn't. Don't hold your breath for that, though... 'cause I am.

Last edited:

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
This AC article explains it all quite well IMO, in particular the part about "Update anxiety" that is so common in these types of threads (excerpt below, bolded part by me! :) Highly recommend reading the entire article though! Very good info on the Android update process.): Why you'll never have the latest version of Android | Android Central

"As updates become more common, and consumers become more tech-savvy, there?s an increasing awareness that devices can be updated, and an expectation that they should be updated. With that comes a sort of ?update anxiety.? If you?ve dropped by any smartphone message board, such as our own forums or XDA?s, you?ll know what we mean by this. Threads abound asking when ICS, or Jelly Bean, will be available for certain devices. In the event of delayed or even canceled updates, Internet denizens swear they?ll never buy another phone from that manufacturer or carrier again. It?s an entirely negative ownership experience.

While this isn?t representative of the entire user base -- not by far -- it?s an example of how many power users experience Android smartphones. They?re always behind the curve, always waiting on an update, never fully enjoying the product that they?ve bought as they?ve bought it. Part of that is the fault of the tech press -- we?re always focused on what?s new, and that means talking about software that hasn?t yet reached most folks."

I enjoyed that article and I agree that there is update anxiety among Android users. I have been known to experience it myself. But it would take not visiting forums like this and reading teach blogs to not constantly look ahead to what's coming soon. Maybe then we would be content with our devices.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, it's for real.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Yet you won't put your money where your mouth is. Ten bucks to the favorite charity of the winner. Put-up, or shut-up.

I don't gamble. And quite frankly it's not that important to me when it lands.

You still cannot deny that you have no idea when either. You're guesstimating like the rest of us. Only difference is, you like to write a lot ;)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

TheNoteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, android itself said "it would come out sometime in November" and android 4.3 looks cool, to my prospective, just think when android release the kit kat version, it will be a whole new enhanced operating system.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I enjoyed that article and I agree that there is update anxiety among Android users. I have been known to experience it myself. But it would take not visiting forums like this and reading teach blogs to not constantly look ahead to what's coming soon. Maybe then we would be content with our devices.

I used to experience this anxiety too from time to time. But I've since learned it's wasted energy. Now I just enjoy my devices for what they are and don't worry about updates. I still stay up to speed with them, but don't sweat whether I'll get them. Instead I've gotten into the habit of evaluating any updates, even apps, to determine if they're worth messing with or not (still sitting on 7 app updates, some Google apps such as GMail, Maps, YouTube). Remember updates are not without risk, they can introduce new bugs or change functionality in an unexpected or bad way. I need to see a real upside to an update before considering installing it and dealing with any potential negatives to it. If it ain't broke..... :)

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I used to experience this anxiety too from time to time. But I've since learned it's wasted energy. Now I just enjoy my devices for what they are and don't worry about updates. I still stay up to speed with them, but don't sweat whether I'll get them.

Agreed.

Instead I've gotten into the habit of evaluating any updates, even apps, to determine if they're worth messing with or not (still sitting on 7 app updates, some Google apps such as GMail, Maps, YouTube). Remember updates are not without risk, they can introduce new bugs or change functionality in an unexpected or bad way. I need to see a real upside to an update before considering installing it and dealing with any potential negatives to it. If it ain't broke..... :)

I understand what you're saying, but I've found that fighting the updates just creates bigger problems. You just have to take your "don't sweat it" attitude, and ramp it up a few notches to where you just go with the flow... keep-up, like it or not. It helps keep ya' young, too... which, at my age, is starting to matter. I'm remarkably adaptable to change, considering what and old fart I am; and I routinely surprise tablesfull of kids who just assume that I don't know what's going on with technology (or pretty much anything else, for that matter). I actually rather work to keep-up; and to ensure that anything I write is true and accurate and not just out of my ****, as some, here, are assuming is the case (and, of course, they're just projecting).

Anyway, the keeping-up thing is especially true with Windows. I could not more despise Windows 8 (and even 8.1), but there's no point in fighting it; in, for example, opting for Win7 when purchasing a new desktop replacement notebook on the Dell website, as I relatively-recently did. Just go with Win8(.1) and make whatever hacks you have to to the registry, and/or general settings, etc., to make it your own. It was that way with Vista, too... godawful piece o' crap; but by the time I finished with it, I didn't really even need Win7 (which, if you think about it, is just Vista, but fixed) because I had Vista tamed and tweaked to no-longer-annoying, and fast-as-greased-lighting perfection.

While that kind of customization is not possible with an Android device unless it's rooted (and possibly unlocked, as well), it's nevertheless quite possible to really make it your own, and get from it everything possible and more, even if it's carrier-customize stock. I've yet to find an Android feature (which I actually wanted) that I could not bring to my phone, regardless of version, by hook or by crook, using apps and settings and creativity... and maybe Tasker (and/or AutomateIt) [grin] without rooting the phone.

App makers assume dumb things, like that your phone is fast, and you've got lots of RAM, and plenty of storage, and that there aren't a lot of competing apps. We see that with websites, too: Site makers get their big twenty-something-inch screens with pushing 3,000 pixels horizontally, and they don't stop the realize that most notebook computers and tablets don't have those kinds of resolutions, and so their sites, in their arrogance, are too wide.

In the end, what makes a phone obsolete even faster than the manufacturer's planned obsolescence is the app makers -- especially those who came-up first through the iOS world and only "port" their apps over to Android, about which they don't actually care, but they want the revenue -- not thinking (or even giving one whit about) backward compatibility. Phones slow not because their hardware is getting worn out but, rather, because arrogant app makers just keep making their apps bigger and bigger, and requiring more processor cycles, and RAM, and storage.

And so I suppose one could argue that that, right there, is a perfect reason to not always allow apps to update/upgrade. But, in the end, it's just too much to keep-up with; and it's a losing battle from the outset. It's easier and less stressful to just take it all as it comes, not sweating too much when it happens or even if it happens; and then, eventually, when the phone -- though it's in as good a shape as the day you bought it -- slows because of too-slow a processor, too little RAM and/or too little storage (because, remember, in "internal storage" is where temp files are stored, and where RAM swapping happens, etc.; and app makers just keep assuming that their users have new phones and so plenty of it)...

...then we just go ahead and upgrade the phone. But I try to wait as long as I can. As earlier herein mentioned, my wife was using an old Samsung Captivate 'til as recently as last May; and I was still on my Samsung Infuse 4G at that time. But then, when I lamented to an AT&T supervisor (with whom I was talking about switching to the "shared data" plan) that I wished I could get a Note, she cut me a deal too good to resist (because she happened to be in the "retention" department, where people who are threatening to quit AT&T are referred); and then she made me an ever better deal on a new phone for Mary-Anne (one penny with a two-year contract). So we both upgraded. But then my Note's video card started overheating within not even a month of my getting it (not even two weeks of my actually starting to use it) and AT&T offered to replace it, but with a refurb, which I wouldn't accept. So, after being referred back to "retention" again, and this time speaking with the supervisor or supervisors (at least in that call center), I got a Note II (because AT&T was all out of new Notes) for just a tiny bit thrown onto the bill. Otherwise, I'd not have a phone as new as the Note II. I'd still be on the Note... or perhaps even the Infuse 4G (although that one was beginning to not be able to keep-up with increasing app sizes; so I probably would at least be on the Note, now, had other weirdness not happened. And I'd be happy; and I'd likely not be getting a Note II until the Note IV (if there ever even is one) finally came out.

Trust me, my Note II (and this would be true of my Note, if I still had it; and it was true of my Infuse 4G, too; and the phones before it) is as cool and up-to-date, and bleeding-edge as it needs to be. It's customized to the hilt and does things which routinely amaze even technogeeks...

...all on Android OS 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. And I could not care one whit when 4.3 comes out. Not one.

But, that said, here's the other thing that happens: App makers just decide, in their arrogance, without consulting anyone, or even bothering to look at the market penetration of devices running various operating systems, to stop supporting certain OS levels. We've been, for a little while, now, seeing app makers whose apps will no longer run on even 2.3 Gingerbread...

...despite that AT&T, just to name one, was selling phones into two year contracts that are capable of running no higher-level OS as recently as last year.

In the end, it's really only the arrogant, unthinking, never-hear-of-backward-compatibility app makers who force people's hands when it comes to updates/upgrades. If Android app makers would be professional, and think, in terms of backward compatibility, like Windows app makers (who ensure, even now, that their stuff works on XP, Vista, Win7 and Win8), then all this pressure to upgrade would not exist.

Steven Tyson

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Its true backwards compatibility is nice but not always logical. Each upgrade to the os usually brings something new in case of 2.3 to 4.0 there were a lot of background updates built into the os that got changed, so if a developer wanted to put something in there app that had been updated in the 4.0 and above they would not be able to put it available 2.3 unless they took out features. Look at nova launcher its only available for 4.0 and above because it would loose to many features if they tried to bring it to 2.3

Posted via Android Central App

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Now I just enjoy my devices for what they are and don't worry about updates.... If it ain't broke..... :)

Unfortunately, you cant enjoy it much if you try to share SNote files with your Note 2 (or 10.1 or 8) and Note 3. Note 3 has a new file extension and you cannot open the SNote file anymore. That I have understood, the new Snote app needs 4.3 (read it from somewhere). We faced that IRL at work when some of us bought GN3, made changes to a shared SNote file in a project, and now none of us (owning 10.1) cannot open the file anymore. (Same thing if you have Note 2). So, it's not broken, it is just incompatible :D And actually, I dont know which one is worse case: a) the software is broken and need to be fixed or b) Samsung messed up with its own application so badly that it is now incompatible between their so called premium line devices.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, you cant enjoy it much if you try to share SNote files with your Note 2 (or 10.1 or 8) and Note 3. Note 3 has a new file extension and you cannot open the SNote file anymore. That I have understood, the new Snote app needs 4.3 (read it from somewhere). We faced that IRL at work when some of us bought GN3, made changes to a shared SNote file in a project, and now none of us (owning 10.1) cannot open the file anymore. (Same thing if you have Note 2). So, it's not broken, it is just incompatible :D

It is a problem and I really don't think its a little problem. I chatted with Samsung tech support yesterday and they were pretty much clueless. That, unfortunately, surprised me. Their advice was (pretty accurately paraphrasing), 'Well since the file types are now different it may not work.' Really? Thank you, I wouldn't possibly have figured that out without your educated and enlightened input. So, it looks like you can get the older notes onto the newer devices but not vice versa. I've heard there's a viewer on the Play Store but I haven't located it.

Note 8.0

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, I got an email when using my business profile and they said that they are working with the problem. (I hope!)

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
<snip> I understand what you're saying, but I've found that fighting the updates just creates bigger problems. You just have to take your "don't sweat it" attitude, and ramp it up a few notches to where you just go with the flow... keep-up, like it or not. <snip>

To each their own. :) I see it the opposite; I find it much easier to turn off all auto-updating: OS or apps (on Android and Windows), so I have full control over my systems and know their exact state until I decide when and if to apply any updates. That way there are no surprises. If I decide to apply an update and something goes awry, I know immediately why and can address it without any wasted energy in trying to figure out the when and why. :)

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
To each their own. :) I see it the opposite; I find it much easier to turn off all auto-updating: OS or apps (on Android and Windows), so I have full control over my systems and know their exact state until I decide when and if to apply any updates. That way there are no surprises. If I decide to apply an update and something goes awry, I know immediately why and can address it without any wasted energy in trying to figure out the when and why. :)

Well, yes... with turning-off all auto-updating, I completely agree. So, we're of one mind on at least that. I do all updating manually, and, yes, I have been known to cherry pick only certain things for updating...

...but even that, in time, falls by the wayside. After a while it just becomes so much work, for a comparatively small return on the investment.

That said, I see your point; and I especially agree that if you control precisely which update occurs, and when, then, yes, of course, troubleshooting any problems it causes is much easier. No argument, here.

I guess all I'm really saying is that while, yes, I, too, only-manually update, like you, I've gotten to the point that unless there's a really compelling reason not to go ahead and let things update, I don't stop it. It's gotten to the point, really, that I only manually update so that the darned computer or phone won't be trying to do it, and slowing everything down, right when I'm trying to use it for something important. I simply want to control at least WHEN it updates; but I confess that I've become less concerned, anymore, about WHAT it updates.

That said, I completely see your point, and don't fault you one single bit for doing it the way you do it.