01-02-2014 09:22 AM
43 12
tools
    Any info on when an update of the new 4.3 OS will be available for us Note 2 users?

Posted via Android Central App
    10-24-2013 06:57 PM
    Im in canada still waiting for it to arrive..
    10-24-2013 07:34 PM
    Based on more than just what I'm linking to in this posting -- taking a lot of postings, together -- my bottom line belief is that Note II users should not expect an Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update very much before mid- to late-December 2013.

There started to be leaks about Samsung doing testing with most large carriers in mid- to late-September; with articles about it appearing as early as the last week of September. More articles hinted at unconfirmed things during October. Here's one of those articles.

Then, literally yesterday, as I write this -- the 23rd of October 2013 -- both endgadget and the cnet UK website reported that that "Galaxy Gear" would soon be compatible with far more phones than originally thought... including the Note II; and, of course, in order for any phone to be compatible with Galaxy Gear, it needs to be running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Here's the engadget article.

International Business Times of Australia is reporting, as of just about an hour ago, at this writing, that 4.3 will be out for some phones by November 11th. So the story is obviously breaking right now. Setting a bookmark to, and keeping an eye on this Google web search, as well as this Google News search, should yield more articles in the coming days... maybe even hours.
    10-25-2013 02:03 AM
    I live in Australia and heard its coming out here in November how true I don't know, sad thing is Australia seems to be slow when it comes to updates. I want this update because sadly I can't transfer apps to my sd card which is a blumen pain

Sent from my GT-N7105T using AC Forums mobile app
    10-25-2013 05:01 AM
    So maybe November, maybe December. Well let's just say "this year" then! :-)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    10-25-2013 05:10 AM
    Check this out !!!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10...i-and-note-ii/

Looks like December 2nd for T-Mobile!

10-25-2013 12:26 PM
    November 20 is when we will be getting 4.3 update

AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    10-25-2013 02:47 PM
    Check this out !!!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10...i-and-note-ii/

Looks like December 2nd for T-Mobile!

Fits in line with the recent rumors surrounding extending galaxy gear support to other devices then.

November it is.

10-25-2013 04:18 PM
    Does anyone know what features will be excluded that's currently on the Note 3.?

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, it's for real.
    10-25-2013 04:28 PM
    Anybody wanna' bet -- no, seriously... ten bucks to the winner's favorite charity -- that it won't be mid- to late-December (probably even later) for the Note II? Hmmm? Put your money where your mouth is?

Wishful-think mid-November all you want. That date is for the S4, and the Note III, and others.

The Note II will be last. Just watch.
    10-25-2013 07:56 PM
    Anybody wanna' bet -- no, seriously... ten bucks to the winner's favorite charity -- that it won't be mid- to late-December (probably even later) for the Note II? Hmmm? Put your money where your mouth is?

Wishful-think mid-November all you want. That date is for the S4, and the Note III, and others.

The Note II will be last. Just watch.
    It'll largely depend on the carriers for you chaps across the pond. This all looks good for those of us rocking international versions though as most likely it'll receive the update before the carrier ones.

10-25-2013 08:55 PM
    So...when is 4.4 coming? :P

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    10-26-2013 12:17 PM
    There is no point waiting for these updates. They keep saying this month that month ect.. I will have a new phone before they decide to update the one I have now. Its a bit of a joke really.

10-26-2013 04:53 PM
    Patience is what we need...
    10-26-2013 06:59 PM
    November 20 is when we will be getting 4.3 update

AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Is that an educated guess or do you have "insider info"? Can you quote your source?

10-26-2013 07:03 PM
    Hurrah!

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/10/26/..._source=feedly

10-27-2013 01:35 AM
    Thing is that it's the reason why note 2 will be my last Samsung cell phone. As much as I like my note 2, it's not acceptable to me that it takes this long to get the update.

Kitkat is around the corner and I'm getting the old update after the new update. Also, I suspect that I'll be lucky to get kitkat for note 2 before getting cut off.

Compared to how Apple and Google handles their updates, it's unacceptable and frustrating to me.
    10-27-2013 11:03 AM
    Thing is that it's the reason why note 2 will be my last Samsung cell phone. As much as I like my note 2, it's not acceptable to me that it takes this long to get the update.

Kitkat is around the corner and I'm getting the old update after the new update. Also, I suspect that I'll be lucky to get kitkat for note 2 before getting cut off.

Compared to how Apple and Google handles their updates, it's unacceptable and frustrating to me.
    It is not Googles fault. Samsung is lazy to give updates, they are more into making new devices on every week.. If you cannot wait to get updates, you will never buy Apple. Apple gives an update once a year. And remember that, if you dont have an international version, you need to wait your carriers possible updates too (=useless bloatware).
    KOOLWATER and DesElms like this.
    10-27-2013 12:06 PM
    It is not Googles fault. Samsung is lazy to give updates, they are more into making new devices on every week.. If you cannot wait to get updates, you will never buy Apple. Apple gives an update once a year. And remember that, if you dont have an international version, you need to wait your carriers possible updates too (=useless bloatware).
    I'm not asking for every day update. Rather I want the assurance that my device won't be outdated not because the hardware is outdated but the manufacturers deserted it. Yes I agree that Google is fine but Samsung sucks @$$.
    10-27-2013 05:32 PM
    There is no point waiting for these updates. They keep saying this month that month ect.. I will have a new phone before they decide to update the one I have now. Its a bit of a joke really.
    If you let the manufacturers and carriers convince you that you must upgrade your phone every year to year-and-a-half, rather than keep the same phone for, at minimum, the life of your two-year carrier contract -- and, hopefully, even beyond -- then, yes, what you write is probably true... at least for you.
    10-27-2013 06:18 PM

You're confusing what Google does with what the manufacturers and carriers do. Remember that Google releases the OS version to the manufacturers; and they, in turn work with all the various carriers to which they supply phones to create the customized versions. Just exactly how long do you think that takes? Have you ever actually managed a serious commercial team of $120,000-per-year programmers? You expect Google to release the OS version one month and for Samsung and AT&T (or Sprint, or Verizon, or whomever is one's carrier) to have the customized version ready the next month? Do you really think that's reasonable? Hmmm?

This stuff takes time. And both Samsung and the carrier are support MANY different phones... each one requiring its own customized version of whatever is the OS version. That we see a carrier-issued upgrade within even six months of when Google first releases it to phone makers is a miracle.

It has nothing to do with Samsung versus any other carrier. They all have their delays. Things, again, take time.

Be reasonable.
    Robert Hall8 likes this.
    10-27-2013 06:24 PM
    I'm not asking for every day update. Rather I want the assurance that my device won't be outdated not because the hardware is outdated but the manufacturers deserted it. Yes I agree that Google is fine but Samsung sucks @$$.
    And in precisely what way is OS version 4.1.2 Jelly Bean "outdated?" And what in the world makes you think that the Note II is "deserted."

You're living in the real world, right? Just checking.

Manufacturers don't "desert" or abandon phones. They have parts for them, and can replair and/or replace them for YEARS after they're made. The reason they stop updating the US versions on them is because as OS version numbers get higher, so, too, do the hardware requirements to successfully (and that's the operative word) run them. The Samsung Captivate, for example, got updated to 2.3 Gingerbread and no higher not because anyone abandoned or "deserted" it. Rather, it started becoming unreasonable to run any OS version higher than 2.3 Gingerbread on it. By the time my wife finally retired hers just this past May (2013), normal apps that run fine on my Note II -- in fact, they were running fine on my original Note, and my Infuse 4G before that -- were slowing her Captivate to a literal crawl. Both OS versions and apps just keep getting bigger and bigger; and require more processor speed and more RAM to run. The phone gets left behind by technology, not abandoned or "deserted."

The Note II, running 4.1.2, is very current. Version 4.2 was intentionally bypassed. Version 4.3 is just around the corner. There's been talk, since July, of including the Note II even in the 5.0 Key Lime Pie update. What in the world more could you possibly want?

Nothing ever being fast enough, and new enough, is a classic sign of immaturity... and inexperience. Get a clue.

You really need to become an HTC user, so you can see what a phone maker that "sucks @$$" actually looks like.
    10-27-2013 06:31 PM
    November it is.
    No, it isn't.

November 20 is when we will be getting 4.3 update.
    No, we won't.

Again, mid- to late-November is, indeed, when some parts of the world will begin to see 4.3 for certain Samsung devices start to roll-out. The S4, for example, is way ahead of the Note II. Version 4.3 for the Note II is going to be in December...

...but even then, for those subject to the delays of the big carriers, like AT&T, the wait could be even longer.

That said, the thing that's happening with the 4.3 upgrade and at least certain devices is that version 4.3, on some devices, will bring the ability of the device to interact with Galaxy Gear devices...

...and both Samsung and all the big carriers would like that capability rolled-out to all device intended to get it by Christmas. For that reason -- and pretty much that reason, alone -- the 4.3 upgrade even to the Note II may come more quickly then ever before with any other upgrade. Time will tell, of course; but even Samsung has said that the Note II is behind nearly all other Galaxy-Gear-compatible devices to get the 4.3 update; and mid- to late-December is when the Note II is slated to finally have a 4.3 upgrade ready from Samsung...

...but who knows if the carrier versions will be ready at that time, also; or if there will be yet another delay beyond that. Since even AT&T wants Galaxy Gear compatibility by Christmas, this one time that an upgrade is being made available by Google and Samsung, AT&T may be ready almost at the same time... and Rogers, and Verizon, and Sprint, and T-Mobile, etc. They all want Galaxy Gear compatibility in time for the Christmas buying season; and so 4.3 may, bygod, be ready for all Note II's pretty much everywhere in the next 60 or so days. I say don't hold your breath, but it's possible.

However, while some of you may think that's a good thing, I say it's a recipe for disaster. AT&T and the other big carriers take how long they take to release an OS upgrade for a reason! It take time to debug these things. A carrier OS version is not merely the Google + phone maker's version, but with bloatware added. The carrier's version is profoundly invasive to the carrier + phone maker's version... huge changes... much programming. And AT&T has demonstrated, several times in the past, that when it rushes an OS version to market before it's really ready, it screws it up. Just ask Samsung Galaxy Infuse 4G owners (of which I was one) what happened with the first 2.3 Gingerbread upgrade from AT&T. It got yanked in not even a week; and we waited seemingly forever for the finally-fixed version to be released.

Samsung Galaxy Note II users -- especially those who have stock, carrier-provided-and-maintained phones -- need to be realistic... and reasonable.

Again: These things take time! Be patient. It will come... and better later, after the carriers have actually gotten it right...

...because, take it from someone who has had a not-really-ready-yet Android OS upgrade pushed to his phone: It's a nightmare.

Just relax, everyone. It'll come. In the meantime, 4.1.2 is perfectly fine. Those who think it isn't are living in some kind of weird, unrealistic-expectations dream world.
    10-27-2013 06:48 PM
    You're confusing what Google does with what the manufacturers and carriers do. Remember that Google releases the OS version to the manufacturers; and they, in turn work with all the various carriers to which they supply phones to create the customized versions. Just exactly how long do you think that takes? Have you ever actually managed a serious commercial team of $120,000-per-year programmers? You expect Google to release the OS version one month and for Samsung and AT&T (or Sprint, or Verizon, or whomever is one's carrier) to have the customized version ready the next month? Do you really think that's reasonable? Hmmm?

This stuff takes time. And both Samsung and the carrier are support MANY different phones... each one requiring its own customized version of whatever is the OS version. That we see a carrier-issued upgrade within even six months of when Google first releases it to phone makers is a miracle.

It has nothing to do with Samsung versus any other carrier. They all have their delays. Things, again, take time.

Be reasonable.
    This AC article explains it all quite well IMO, in particular the part about "Update anxiety" that is so common in these types of threads (excerpt below, bolded part by me! Highly recommend reading the entire article though! Very good info on the Android update process.): Why you'll never have the latest version of Android | Android Central

"As updates become more common, and consumers become more tech-savvy, theres an increasing awareness that devices can be updated, and an expectation that they should be updated. With that comes a sort of update anxiety. If youve dropped by any smartphone message board, such as our own forums or XDAs, youll know what we mean by this. Threads abound asking when ICS, or Jelly Bean, will be available for certain devices. In the event of delayed or even canceled updates, Internet denizens swear theyll never buy another phone from that manufacturer or carrier again. Its an entirely negative ownership experience.

While this isnt representative of the entire user base -- not by far -- its an example of how many power users experience Android smartphones. Theyre always behind the curve, always waiting on an update, never fully enjoying the product that theyve bought as theyve bought it. Part of that is the fault of the tech press -- were always focused on whats new, and that means talking about software that hasnt yet reached most folks."
    DesElms and Robert Hall8 like this.
    10-27-2013 07:04 PM
    This AC article explains it all quite well IMO, in particular the part about "Update anxiety" that is so common in these types of threads (excerpt below, bolded part by me! Highly recommend reading the entire article though! Very good info on...
    [SNIP FOR BREVITY]
    ...behind the curve, always waiting on an update, never fully enjoying the product that they’ve bought as they’ve bought it. Part of that is the fault of the tech press -- we’re always focused on what’s new, and that means talking about software that hasn’t yet reached most folks."
    Exactly! What Synycalwon said!
    10-27-2013 08:02 PM
43 12