What if I don't want a 4.3 firmware update??

speedracer2001

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I have read a great many posts here from individuals wanting/demanding the 4.3 firmware update. Before I want my phone updated I would like to know what exactly is being updated. Personally, I have no desire to buy the new companion watch device that is being hyped (one reason given for the accelerated release to Note 2 users). IF the update has fixes to legitimate problems, will provide improved function to existing apps or perhaps introduces new apps with perceived (each user must decide) purpose and functionality that is fine and I would welcome it. On the other hand I have read it may contain the new "region lock" code, code to make the phone so it can only be unlocked by the carrier (regardless if it is paid off, pre-pay, etc. and now a fee can be associated with this action) and numerous other "could-be's". In this case I would prefer to leave my phone at its current level. Bottom line, is there any way I can disable my phone (as simple as changing a setting in the settings menu?) from having the firmware being updated until I hear from others that it is o.k. and nothing 'harmful' has been inserted. Thank you..

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
There are no native settings to control OTA updates. Typically when there's an update available you'll get a notice and have the option to accept, defer, or reject. Deferring or rejecting will only delay the update for a certain time period. If you don't happen to catch the next prompt to defer or reject again, it will automatically try to download and install the update. The only way to fully stop this and give you some level of control requires that you root your phone and disable the OTA updater. See this thread on the specifics: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...oting-roms-hacks/246010-stop-ota-updates.html

Frankly, IMO this is one area Android really needs to mature in and provide us more control without requiring root. Example: like in Microsoft Windows where you have the option to set OS software updates to: Automatic, Notify only, or Disable (manually install them if and when you want).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There are no native settings to control OTA updates. Typically when there's an update available you'll get a notice and have the option to accept, defer, or reject. Deferring or rejecting will only delay the update for a certain time period. If you don't happen to catch the next prompt to defer or reject again, it will automatically try to download and install the update. The only way to fully stop this and give you some level of control requires that you root your phone and disable the OTA updater. See this thread on the specifics: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...oting-roms-hacks/246010-stop-ota-updates.html

Frankly, IMO this is one area Android really needs to mature in and provide us more control without requiring root. Example: like in Microsoft Windows where you have the option to set OS software updates to: Automatic, Notify only, or Disable (manually install them if and when you want).

This is definitely a weak spot of Android. Both my new iPad and iPhone 4S are bone stock and are still on iOS 5,and I was never forced to update. My iPhone 5S wasn't forced to update to 7.0.3 either.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams