1. topiratti's Avatar
    I got my Samsung Galaxy Note II via an Upgrade in July. About 32 days later, the device became really slow in loading, and wasn't functioning properly. It was sent for repair to Samsung. I received it back and 12 hours later, it was doing the EXACT same thing. Not only that, I also got the Downloading, Don't turn of Target!! message. All I did was download Yahoo! Messenger.

    Samsung refuses to fix the phone (it's under warranty) unless I paid 250.00 for repair costs. Which I refused. I also refused going through Insurance as I was not going to pay $150.00 for it. I already paid $170.00 for the phone.

    Samsung advised me, that I caused the issue with my phone and the message that appeared. (Apparently I downloaded something illegal, or something I shouldn't have?)

    The phone was NOT connected to any computer, it was plugged into the wall, charging. It's not "rooted".

    I have tried battery pulls, and restart, even what you call a reboot/recovery (using power up button, power button - menu button I guess doesn't work, as I can reboot using Powr + Volume up), nothing works.

    There are no other words on the phone.

    The phone was only connected to my computer once, and that was to try and tether (which didn't work as I didn't have the software on my computer)

    It's been like this for 3 months. I've run out of options with the phone, and I'm stuck as to what to do.

    Any suggestions as to why this occurred? Any suggestions to fix it?
    11-02-2013 05:51 PM
  2. liddellw1's Avatar
    U must d/l a stock recovery for your file and use ODIN to flash back to the stock recovery.
    11-02-2013 06:55 PM
  3. topiratti's Avatar
    I have no idea what that even is.
    11-03-2013 12:57 AM
  4. topiratti's Avatar
    U must d/l a stock recovery for your file and use ODIN to flash back to the stock recovery.
    Could someone please explain in detail WHAT that is and WHAT I have to do? I'm not a computer or phone expert and I don't want to mess up my computer.
    11-05-2013 02:03 PM
  5. rgarcia900's Avatar
    Why get samsung involved and the headaches? Go back to your carrier for an exchange. That is what I always do. I never call the manufacturer of my phone, I always go to my carrier and they have always exchanged my phones. Knock on wood but I still have my original Skyrocket and Note II was exchanged for a new one after 5 days at the store. After 14 days, you might get a refurbished unit, that is better than paying or dealing with a broken phone.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-07-2013 10:12 PM
  6. rgarcia900's Avatar
    Try a master reset. I believe is power, home, and volume down at the same time. If that doesn't work, substitute volume down for volume up.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-07-2013 10:14 PM
  7. topiratti's Avatar
    Id already tried that, doesnt work
    11-12-2013 02:24 PM
  8. topiratti's Avatar
    Why get samsung involved and the headaches? Go back to your carrier for an exchange. That is what I always do. I never call the manufacturer of my phone, I always go to my carrier and they have always exchanged my phones. Knock on wood but I still have my original Skyrocket and Note II was exchanged for a new one after 5 days at the store. After 14 days, you might get a refurbished unit, that is better than paying or dealing with a broken phone.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app
    My carrier will NOT replace the phone, 1]it's over 30 days old when it occured and 2]gave me replacement options which means I have to pay. I canceled my insurance as im not paying 150 bux for it, and im not paying 100-150 bux for a prepaid replacement phone.
    11-12-2013 02:25 PM
  9. rgarcia900's Avatar
    Weird. All new phones come with 1 year warranty. Unless you really voided your warranty by rooting your phone and installing a custom rom wether knowingly or not. That is a rare scenario. Or maybe you made it worse by trying to fix it. I NEVER had att decline my claim because it was more than 30 days. They have always replaced my device. One time, after shipping lower end device as replacement for my Motorola Q9, they shipped me a brand new HTC Tilt Pro. I will go to a different store. If you already cancelled the insurance, then you just lost what you paid initially for your Note II plus monthly fees and now the price of a used phone to fulfill your contract. I would've paid the deductible as a last resort, much cheaper.

    Next time you have an issue, go to an authorized at&t service center where they will replace your phone on the spot. Those are dedicated repair centers for 99% of their phones, the remaining 1% being apple. They can reflash or exchange any device or order one for you.
    Tell them you want a replacement and don't want to send it to the manufacturer.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-12-2013 06:45 PM
  10. topiratti's Avatar
    Weird. All new phones come with 1 year warranty. Unless you really voided your warranty by rooting your phone and installing a custom rom wether knowingly or not. That is a rare scenario. Or maybe you made it worse by trying to fix it. I NEVER had att decline my claim because it was more than 30 days. They have always replaced my device. One time, after shipping lower end device as replacement for my Motorola Q9, they shipped me a brand new HTC Tilt Pro. I will go to a different store. If you already cancelled the insurance, then you just lost what you paid initially for your Note II plus monthly fees and now the price of a used phone to fulfill your contract. I would've paid the deductible as a last resort, much cheaper.

    Next time you have an issue, go to an authorized at&t service center where they will replace your phone on the spot. Those are dedicated repair centers for 99% of their phones, the remaining 1% being apple. They can reflash or exchange any device or order one for you.
    Tell them you want a replacement and don't want to send it to the manufacturer.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using AC Forums mobile app
    I'm not from the US. I'm from Canada, so not sure why you assumed AT&T (AND the US is way different then Canada). AND I don't know the first thing about "rooting". All i know is that rooting is installing illegal software (which i found out about rooting AFTER this issue occured - google - gotta love it - it also said about this downloading dont turn off target is that somethings wrong with flash) I thought you had to connect your phone to a computer to root it. When I called Samsung they said i did something illegal or installed something I shouldn't have. All i did was install yahoo.

    I just want to know if I can repair my Samsung Note 2. If not, its cheaper buying a prepaid phone, and using it, then going through insurance anyways. It's not like im desperate to replace my BB torch, at the moment, it works.
    11-13-2013 08:27 PM
  11. rgarcia900's Avatar
    You never said you are in Canada either. So anyways, try using odin to flash back your canadian provider stock rom. Go to sammobile.com and register for an account. Then download your correct rom based on your provider and flash via Odin. Your device is already in download mode, so you can at least try that.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-14-2013 09:28 AM

Similar Threads

  1. Help please!
    By captain_dirtyfoot in forum Google Chromecast
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-01-2013, 01:27 AM
  2. AT&T Galaxy S4 32gig with extras & Sprint Note II
    By zeropcs in forum Marketplace Archive
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-16-2013, 10:32 AM
  3. Note 4 with Tizen?
    By Johnly in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 07:24 AM
  4. What if I don't want a 4.3 firmware update??
    By speedracer2001 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 08:46 AM
  5. Problem with Samsung dive
    By naoufalel in forum Samsung Galaxy SIII I9300
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD