Hi everyone,

IM pretty new to all this and have signed up to get some advice from all you experts out there . I have a Samsung note 2 (GTN700) which has been rooted aswell. I have a back up efs file. The phone is unlocked when it was brought. I am using my o2 sim card and the will remain at full for a while then will drop to 0 and then come back again. I can not make calls but can send texts which take ages to go through. Some times i get calls with the phone.

Does anyone know the problem ?? If so how can i fix it ? ?

Thanks guys if you need anymore info that ive failed to cover please ask me
    11-12-2013 11:45 AM
    Hi everyone,

IM pretty new to all this and have signed up to get some advice from all you experts out there . I have a Samsung note 2 (GTN700) which has been rooted aswell. I have a back up efs file. The phone is unlocked when it was brought. I am using my o2 sim card and the will remain at full for a while then will drop to 0 and then come back again. I can not make calls but can send texts which take ages to go through. Some times i get calls with the phone.

Does anyone know the problem ?? If so how can i fix it ? ?

Thanks guys if you need anymore info that ive failed to cover please ask me
    If your phone / sim card, isn't damaged - check that you have the correct radio / modem / baseband.

Sent from my SM-N900W8
    11-12-2013 11:55 AM
    Hi, Thanks for replying.. Hope this doesnt sound stupid but how would i do that thanks
    11-12-2013 11:57 AM
    Any one ? ?
    11-13-2013 10:02 AM
    I have a Samsung note 2 (GTN700) which has been rooted as well.
    I, personally, stopped reading, right there. If one roots one's phone, then one's on his/her own, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sorry, Dean, but based on what is obviously your level of expertise, you should never have rooted your phone; and shame on the geeks in whatever forum where you first learned about rooting for convincing you to do it. I see it all the time, and they have no idea how irresponsible it is. Notice, that they're only too happy to make you feel stupid because you're hesitant to root your phone; but then, later, when you need help, they fall silent. Just notice.

It's not that a person is "bad" or anything like that because s/he roots his/her phone. However, in my experience, there's actually virtually no reason to root a phone. So doing tends to be the purview of young, still-wet-behind-the-ears techno-geeks who get their rocks off delving down into the bowels of their phones, and delight in making them do what the carriers would prefer they wouldn't. I know this psychology... I used to be such a geek. I was just a kid -- not even a teenager yet; or, if so, then only barely one -- when my parents came home to find our big, new, Zenith color console TV set in ten gabazillion pieces all over the living room floor (and, boy, did I ever learn, the hard way, why it said "high voltage, do not open" on the side of that big silver box with the round vent holes punched into it... yikes!). The fact that all the parts were neatly arranged on the carpeting, though, sitting atop spread-out newspaper, somehow told my dad that I might actually know what I'm doing; and so instead of giving me the whooping of my life, he calmly asked if I had learned from the experience all that I'd hoped; and when I said I had (he could tell by the hair standing on end and the small whiffs of smoke coming out of my ears from opening that silver box and touching the big honkin' capacitor inside, that I had) he calmly asked me to put it back together in time to watch Lawrence Welk.

And I did. And it worked fine. And the next time the TV repair guy came over, and my dad told him the story, he showed me all kindsa' stuff; and I learned, that day, how to do a proper "color setup" on virtually any TV. My need to tear stuff apart, see what makes it tick, and then put it back together was off to a stunning start; and it's part of what makes it so that I can pretty much fix anything -- literally almost anything -- today, even if I've never seen it before.

But one eventually outgrows that; and simply wants his/her phone to just friggin' work. Rooting a phone is the very antithesis of that!

A rooted phone must be fiddled-with all the time just to keep it running. It can no longer be updated/upgraded by the carrier, either via something like KIES or over-the-air (OTA); and it voids the warranty, so it can't be supported hardware-wise by the carrier (or Samsung, technically), either. Moreover, just the process of rooting, if done improperly (or even if a restoral back to factory state is done improperly), can "brick" the phone... that is, turn it into, in effect, a brick, because it won't do anything anymore. It's better as a paperweight, at that point (though, actually, there are ways for geeks like me to unbrick a phone, but I'm just sayin').

No one who's not a geek, and who doesn't get-off on what geeks get-off on, should be rooting his/her phone...

...no matter how many geeks in forums like this tell them it's okay...

...and no matter how much they try to shame them into it...

...and no matter how many apps there are in the Google Play Store which claim to only work on a rooted phone (or to work with diminished features on an unrooted one).

Do not, if you're not a geek who gets-off on what geeks get-off on, root your phone. Trust me, on this.

It has nothing to do with the carrier so limiting what the user can do that said user is boxed-in and only allowed to do what the carrier wishes for the carrier's financial gain. As someone who has supported device users for pushing 40 years, trust me when I tell you that it's simply the carrier (and/or Samsung) trying to make it so that whenever they try to fix the device, it's in a predictable state so that the support entity's time and energy is not wasted. We quote repair costs, and predict repair times based on that the device is in the same state as it was when we delivered it to the customer (or in whatever state it's subsequently in if the customer did authorized updates to it); but if the customer delved into the bowels of the device and put his own crap on it, bypassing either the maker's or its seller's (or my) restrictions against it along the way, then all bets are off. At that point, my, at least, hourly rate goes straight to $250/hour, and however long it takes is however long it takes. Plus, when I'm done, I tell the customer to call someone else next time s/he needs either a device or a repair; that I'm done with him/her; that I don't need his/her business.

That's why AT&T just up and flat-out voids the warranty on hardware and all if the phone gets rooted... as it should.

I'm sorry, but I, for one, have no sympathy for the thread-starter's position and situation; and I hope nothing in this thread has in any way encouraged anyone who's not a geek who gets-off on what geeks get-off on to root his/her phone. Don't do it! Trust me on this. Don't do it! It's just, in the end, not worth it.

Or so it is my two cents worth...

...which my ex-wife will happily attest tends to be all it's worth.

But I'm, nevertheless, just sayin'.

My bottom-line advice is to reverse the rooting; to restore back to stock (and remember to do it in a way that resets the flash counter so that no one from your carrier can tell you once rooted it). Then take the phone to the carrier's device support center and say it's been squirrely and ask them to first (re-)flash the phone to the latest OS version it's supposed to have; then have them use the OS's built-in diagnostics and their fancy computer to thoroughly hardware test it; then have them replace your SIM card (if the phone has one; just insist they do it, even if it seems to them unnecessary); and, finally, as long as you're there, ask 'em for a free additional battery, just 'cause most device support centers are willing to do that for their valued customers.

Then, thereafter, never root another phone again. Ever!

That's my advice, for whatever it's worth.
    11-14-2013 05:13 PM
    Thanks for the lecture there buddy....triangle away returned to stock - flash counter to zero and have got it repaired by an official merchant. booooom
    11-15-2013 10:24 AM
    Thanks for the lecture there buddy...
    Ask one hundred randomly-selected people in a room, and 94 of them -- at minimum, I venture -- would say that that line is a pejorative.

Is that really how you want your reaction to my help to be perceived by me? Or are we just suffering, here, from the common problem which caused the creation of emoticons in the early Internet because we're deprived of the audible and visual cues we need in written-word-only places like this which we use to determine if others are happy, sad, upset, angry, kidding around, etc.? And so, therefore, am I misinterpreting?

Hmm?
    11-19-2013 04:09 PM