Help please! Note 2 won't turn on after a fall

Maanoonaa

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
my note 2 was on charger when it fell gently to the ground by accident .... it was turned off , when i tried to switch it on .. nothing but a faint twinkle , I tried charging it for a whole day .. removing the battery .. Nothing works , i don't know if it is a screen issue or something else ... Wish anybody have a solution !!!

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi and you see any breaks on cracks on the phone? Maybe something inside the phone got out of position

my note 2 was on charger when it fell gently to the ground by accident .... it was turned off , when i tried to switch it on .. nothing but a faint twinkle , I tried charging it for a whole day .. removing the battery .. Nothing works , i don't know if it is a screen issue or something else ... Wish anybody have a solution !!!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like one of two things has happened. Either something has come loose internally, or something has broken internally. I don't believe you will be able to fix either on your own. You will need to take this to a cell phone shop for repair. This is your best option. IF you are tech savvy you can try taking the phone apart and seeing if something has come loose and re attaching it, BUT you risk further damage to the phone, ALSO this can be VERY complicated and involves some very small easy to lose and damage parts. PLEASE PLEASE don't do it if you are not tech savvy and follow a tutorial which you should be able to find at youtube.

Best bet though, go through your carrier or a 3rd party repair shop. :) It will be worth the 50 to 100 dollar repair charge or whatever it ends up costing.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No ... nothing at all , not even a scratch & nothing out of position :(

Right nothing visible to you, BUT there are lots of wires and ribbons inside of the phone that we can NOT see......

EDIT: After watching that video, do you really want to try that on your own? Take that guy to your carrier's repair shop and be honest, they might be able to get it repaired for you for a reasonable cost. It's probably worth spending 100 dollars for a whole that is easily worth around 350 to 400 on the after market, and certainly can not be replaced for any kind of "upgrade charge"

EDIT 2: Have you tried LONG pressing the power button to try to get the phone to reset?

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

If it was on the charger at the moment of impact with the ground, then it's quite possible that the USB connector on the bottom of the phone hit the floor at just the right angle to wrench something inside. That would be my guess; and if that's what it was, then, of course, the phone would look otherwise fine... no scratches, nothing cracked, etc. It's possible, though, that the USB cable, when plugged-in to the phone, would now feel a bit less firm... more almost kinda' wobbly. But even that might not be present, yet what I'm suspecting could still be true.

Other possibilities include something as simple as that when it hit the floor, some component inside that was already not well connected (all the various circuit boards are interconnected via board-mounted sockets or ribbon connectors; and they'll sometimes work loose) came loose. I doubt, seriously, that that happened, though, because the Note 2 (unlike the S3) is a well-put-together phone that's made to withstand way more shock than just what you describe. So I doubt that that's it.

That said, if the phone hit squarely on either the power button, or the volume rocker (but more likely, for what I'm about to write, the power button), and if said power button has not been covered by a case of some kind; and so if said power button has caked down in around it (inside the phone) a bunch of dust and skin cells, mixed with body oil, mixed with whatever else from the environment, then it's entirely possible that said power button is jammed-in, and all the crud down in and around it is keeping its spring from returning it to its normal position. That same thing happening to the volume rocker can also cause problems, but the phone should, in that case, at least light-up and go into the systems (DOS-like) menu. Or, worse, the fall, if directly onto one of the hardware buttons, could have broken one of them, internally.

Personally, I don't think it's that, either, but I'm just sayin'. If it is, though, then you're in luck, because an entire (aftermarket) button kit only costs six bucks (probably $20 if it's Samsung-branded and not a Chinese knockoff); and the labor wouldn't be bad because replacing all the buttons using that kit, if done by a pro with the experience and the right tools, would take barely a half hour.

If I'm right, though, that the fall caused the charger cable end to hit the floor just right such that it wrenched something in the bottom-of-phone USB connector (and, seriously, that's what I'm betting on), then repairing that will probably not cost very much, either. All you'd need is one of these circuit boards which includes both the USB charging port and all its circuitry, and the bottom-of-device microphone, and all its circuitry. It connects to the phone's motherboard via a ribbon cable. Of course that particular board to which I just linked is an aftermarket one; a Samsung-branded one (which isn't a Chinese knockoff, that is) will cost roughly triple. But the labor shouldn't be that bad since someone with the experience and the proper tools should be able to make the entire repair in only around 20 minutes.

If the phone's under warranty, then you could also take it to the AT&T Device Support Center nearest you (not to be confused with just any ol' AT&T store) (and since there's only one or two AT&T Device Support Centers in at least a few states, you might have to drive a while to get to one; though there should be one reasonably close to you, almost no matter where you are) and just tell 'em it stopped working and ask 'em if they'll just replace it with a factory-refurbed unit. They only replace on-warranty phones with brand new ones if they go bad during the first 14 days of ownership; after that, they only replace 'em with factory reburbed units; but, honestly, those are fine. They weren't merely tested and, if they worked, put back in stock. They're all thoroughly tested, and opened, and cleaned, and all parts/connections re-seated; and anything (and I mean anything) that's not quite up-to-factory-specs is replaced with factory-new parts; and then the phone is flashed to whatever is the latest OS version that ships on new phones... and so factory refurbs are a perfectly fine replacement, as long as the phone being replace has already been used a while. In most cases, the factory refurb is in even better shape!

You could also send the phone to Samsung (I think you have to call first, and get a special return number or something to include with it). They usually turn 'em around, almost not matter what's wrong with 'em, in about 14 days, including shipping time. Of course, that means you'll be without the phone, for a couple weeks; but nobody repairs a Sumsung phone better than Samsung (or one of its authorized centers, which is actually more likely where you'd be sending it). Write down the phone's serial number, though, before you send it to 'em, so you'll know if they replaced it on you; at which point you can inquire if it's new or factory refurbed. Samsung will usually replace an on-warranty phone with a brand new one, unless the phone's so old that they're not making brand new ones anymore; and it would be nice to know, when you got yours back, and it's clearly not the same phone, if it's new or refurbed; and why refurbed, if that's what it is.

Of course, before you take the phone anywhere, be sure to back-up every single thing in it to your local Windows machine's hard drive. Remove from it any external SD card; but leave the SIM card in it if you go to an AT&T Device Support Center. Remove the SIM, though, if you take it anywhere else and leave it (if you're standing there watching the repair, then you could leave the SIM card in it).

Whatever you do, though, as another poster here advised, don't try any repairs yourself. You need special tools (it's the prying part that you'll most likely screw-up, and there are special tools for that), and knowledge and experience. The fact that you came here and asked about it tells us you don't have said knowledge or experience (and so, therefore, likely not the tools, either)... but that's okay. No one expects you to. You just want to use the phone, and want it to work. No one expects you to be a repair geek! [grin]

Hope that helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12