Note 2: Battery Drain after 4.3 update

Rishi Ashar

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am talking about the official update released by Samsung in India.

I have noticed a significant battery drain after the 4.3 update compared to 4.1.2

The type of usage has remained same throughout.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I've flashed the Nordic official update and have seen a massive improvement to my battery life!

From my GT-N7105 via Android Central App

Rishi Ashar

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Battery Drain after 4.3 update

Mine is GT-N7100. Not sure if it makes any difference.

Also I noticed some of the system settings were reset after the upgrade. I haven't checked all but if unwanted services have turned on, that might have been the season of the drain.

Can anyone help in determining which settings were reset after the upgrade?? I can share 1 to start with : Location Services

jeffrey10000

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

If it is really bad, back up your app data and do a Factory Reset. Then work on changing your settings.

Sent from my Samsung Note II using Android Central Forums

Rishi Ashar

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

Did the factory reset, but the battery usage still remains relatively high.

There isn't a single new app installed, not a single setting changed. This is what I have been using all the time. And turning on the Sync is a nightmare.

Also I noticed that the stock music player hangs intermittently while playing the songs, and similar has been also reported in the GS3 4.3 android release.

Anyone who has upgraded to 4.3, would request you all to post your experiences.

gdanonym

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

Could you post some numbers on how bad the battery drain is. For now I have no idea how bad is your bad.

Rishi Ashar

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

Could you post some numbers on how bad the battery drain is. For now I have no idea how bad is your bad.

Yes sure..I was about to post the screenshots from wakelock detector, stock battery app, etc. Will post those soon for you to have a look.

It's like something is wrong,
1.Merely unlocking the phone and mumbling around here and there like browsing the music or changing songs eats 1-2% battery.
2.At night if I leave the phone at 100 %, by morning it used to be at most 90%, but now, it drains to almost 70%.
3.Idle phone (sync OFF, Mobile data/Wifi ON, Quick glance ON) consumes around 7% per hour.
4.Even the power saver mode does not seem to be working anymore (same amount of battery drain)

All of the above started happening after the 4.3 upgrade. I was very happy with the battery life with 4.1.2.

P.S Now I have turned off WIFI/Data and observing the phone with
1.Auto brightness
2.Quick Glance enabled
3.Smart Stay ON
4.Power Saver OFF

karansingh5

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Hi! I've been encountering the same problem. It persists even after the factory reset. Keep your mobile data on auto brightness, with everything else(like wifi, sync, bluetooth) turned off, battery dies within 4-5 hours! That's ridiculous when compared to the battery life I used to get before the update. Moreover, I'm encountering issues with charging as well, takes ages to charge!!! Like 10-12 hours!! Any help, suggestions?

Posted via Android Central App

Rishi Ashar

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

Yes sure..I was about to post the screenshots from wakelock detector, stock battery app, etc. Will post those soon for you to have a look.

It's like something is wrong,
1.Merely unlocking the phone and mumbling around here and there like browsing the music or changing songs eats 1-2% battery.
2.At night if I leave the phone at 100 %, by morning it used to be at most 90%, but now, it drains to almost 70%.
3.Idle phone (sync OFF, Mobile data/Wifi ON, Quick glance ON) consumes around 7% per hour.
4.Even the power saver mode does not seem to be working anymore (same amount of battery drain)

All of the above started happening after the 4.3 upgrade. I was very happy with the battery life with 4.1.2.

P.S Now I have turned off WIFI/Data and observing the phone with
1.Auto brightness
2.Quick Glance enabled
3.Smart Stay ON
4.Power Saver OFF

Observation after going the above activities:
1. It does not seem to be any app which is using internet in order to drain the battery, as I had the internet turned off (WIFI/DATA both). Even then the battery drain was quite high.
2.Some one suggested something might be wrong with the SD card which might be causing this, so I am gonna go ahead and format the card and check after that.
3. I did not have anything to paste as a screenshot here, as I check in the wakelock detector, nothing seemed weird. Looking for more clues though.

Weirdest thing:
This one is new for me. My battery was around 35 percent in the night 1:00 AM when I kept it for charging.
Till 5:30 in the morning it didn't charge till 80%.

I am not sure what the issue might be.

Rishi Ashar

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

Hi! I've been encountering the same problem. It persists even after the factory reset. Keep your mobile data on auto brightness, with everything else(like wifi, sync, bluetooth) turned off, battery dies within 4-5 hours! That's ridiculous when compared to the battery life I used to get before the update. Moreover, I'm encountering issues with charging as well, takes ages to charge!!! Like 10-12 hours!! Any help, suggestions?

Posted via Android Central App

Karan not sure about your issue. I already started to think that my issue might be an hardware issue because I had just got my motherboard replaced and few days later I upgraded to 4.3. So not sure what to blame.

Lol..and the funniest thing is that Samsung Cust care don't even know that 4.3 has been released in India :p...didn't have much to expect from them after that.

gdanonym

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

I had on my Note 2 also a charging problem. But this was resolved when I start using the original charger with the original cable.
I was using a charger with a very long and thin cable.
You can also see what happens when you turn on the airplane Mode overnight.
Does you phone go into deep sleep?

Rishi Ashar

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

I had on my Note 2 also a charging problem. But this was resolved when I start using the original charger with the original cable.
I was using a charger with a very long and thin cable.
You can also see what happens when you turn on the airplane Mode overnight.
Does you phone go into deep sleep?

I am using the original charger
Airplane mode I've not seen
The phone does go into deep sleep but not more than 15 % of the entire time

I browsed the gsmarena.com and I am finding almost exact observations that other people had.

As per someone's suggestion, I am going to factory reset->firmware upgrade once again->factory reset . And I am going to use the Kies 2.6 and not Kies 3
Those who did the upgrade through the above process reported no problems with 4.3, not even the battery issue. So I am gonna go ahead and give it a try.

gdanonym

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

If you don't get the deep sleep all the time. There must be a process getting it out of the deep sleep.
If this also occur straight after reboot. Check the running processes after the reboot. It must be one of those apps or widgets.

Rishi Ashar

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

If you don't get the deep sleep all the time. There must be a process getting it out of the deep sleep.
If this also occur straight after reboot. Check the running processes after the reboot. It must be one of those apps or widgets.

Did a Factory reset-> Firmware upgrade-> Factory reset.

Slight improvement in the battery life. Not sure yet how it would turn out in the long run.

Rishi Ashar

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

2013-11-29 00.59.51.png2013-11-26 21.24.34.png

This are what the wakelocks look like now. :)
I think my problem has been solved, regained the awesome battery life of 4.1.2

Others can try this too and share their observations.

All I did was follow this sequence Factory reset->firmware upgrade->factory reset before use.